Fickle MPG

Low profile tyres improve cornering capabilities so therefore you could argue a transporter NEEDS them ;)

Hi all had Sandy for nearly a year 150 dsg highline window van converted to a camper by Bilbos. We go to Cornwall on a regular basis just over 400 mls we've got 12000 mls on the clock. Last time coming back did it on just over half a tank. On the motorway MDF says 50-56 mpg. I only trundle along between 60-65 mph and I have it on coast setting. Ad blue seems to work out around 4000-5000 mls per full tank so I've got no complaints so far.
Excellent :). Looks promising :thumbsup:! I saw in another thread that yours is 150ps+DSG, which should imply engine type of CXFA. Could you please check/report for us instantaneous consumption on your MFD when engine is idling (turn off Auto Start/Stop before you stop) after some driving (10 mins+), engine hot (90C), DSG at P, turning off lights, A/C, blower, etc. MFD should report it as liters/hour as soon the vehicle is standing. Thanks.

Excellent :). Looks promising :thumbsup:! I saw in another thread that yours is 150ps+DSG, which should imply engine type of CXFA.
My 150 DSG is a CXHA? Built September last year.

Excellent :). Looks promising :thumbsup:! I saw in another thread that yours is 150ps+DSG, which should imply engine type of CXFA. Could you please check/report for us instantaneous consumption on your MFD when engine is idling (turn off Auto Start/Stop before you stop) after some driving (10 mins+), engine hot (90C), DSG at P, turning off lights, A/C, blower, etc. MFD should report it as liters/hour as soon the vehicle is standing. Thanks.
Will do next time I'm out. Doing very little mileage at the moment my insurance only gives me 1200 mls and I'm very nearly there. Back out and about in June. Back to Cornwall.

Will do next time I'm out. Doing very little mileage at the moment my insurance only gives me 1200 mls and I'm very nearly there. Back out and about in June. Back to Cornwall.
Is your engine a CXFA or CXHA and does anyone know what the difference is?? Was there a 150 with CXGA??

Ok I'm expecting some strong responses to this post and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I'm all for nice wheels and pimping up the Van within reason but twin tailpipes on a Van really bug me! Van's are not sports cars and not fast however many horses you have. I think it looks stupid but as I said whatever floats your boat :)
EH! I posted a document about the TDi??

Thanks - I hadn't seen that document before. On the basis of the document there would seem to be no difference between the 2 (CXFA/CXHA) 150PS variants, i.e. only 1 mention of both which appears on the same chart. I know I'm clutching at straws but I was hoping to see something that says there is a difference somewhere and can be used as the basis of further categorising the problems a few people have reported with the 150 DSG, i.e. are they happening on the CXFA, CXHA variant or both.

And also an interesting dismissal of the ridiculous big wheel, wide ultra low profile tyre, lowered thing...

Our Subaru Outback is a raised Legacy. On narrow, high profile tyres and little 16" alloys.
Yet the handling is utterly brilliant; totally neutral, very predictable and easy to catch if you overdo it, grippy and you simply don't need to slow down if it's wet. With only 165bhp it's not fast BUT it hangs onto speed so well it is capable of upsetting many a lowered, big wheeled 2.0 diesel rep-mobile. Then you drive it off road and it goes further than any soft roader; you need a pretty serious 4x4 to better it.

So that flies in the face of this whole "sportify your van" nonsense. Just drive it as intended.
Just remember, if you push your van too hard, it'll be very messy.

And also an interesting dismissal of the ridiculous big wheel, wide ultra low profile tyre, lowered thing...

Our Subaru Outback is a raised Legacy. On narrow, high profile tyres and little 16" alloys.
Yet the handling is utterly brilliant; totally neutral, very predictable and easy to catch if you overdo it, grippy and you simply don't need to slow down if it's wet. With only 165bhp it's not fast BUT it hangs onto speed so well it is capable of upsetting many a lowered, big wheeled 2.0 diesel rep-mobile. Then you drive it off road and it goes further than any soft roader; you need a pretty serious 4x4 to better it.

So that flies in the face of this whole "sportify your van" nonsense. Just drive it as intended.
Just remember, if you push your van too hard, it'll be very messy.
Ok I could like a bit hypocritical here! 20's on 40mm drop (embarrassed face) but I agree lowering does not necessarily improve the handling and 20's certainly don't. But I've quite enjoyed having it converted and choosing bits but if I want to go fast I'll get in car.

Back