Fiamma F45s Canopy Rip

Davenjo

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Just noticed that I have a minor nick (only about 2 or 3mm) in the edge of my F45s canopy - the only thing I can think that has caused it is attachment of the Fiamma Privacy room's fast clip system. I've ordered a repair kit from Fiamma which will hopefully fix. However, I was intending to use the awning over the coming weekend with no chance of the kit arriving before we go tomorrow.

My concern is that, unchecked, the nick will quickly turn into a more serious tear that the repair kit is unable to cover (I have visions of the rip running the full width of the awning once we apply a bit of pressure via the tie down kit!).

Has anyone had to deal with a damaged canopy and/or able to advise if the damage is likely to quickly get worse if we use the awning before applying the patch?

Thanks.

Can you fold a strip of gaffer tape over the edge?

Is there a risk that this may rip when this temporary tape is removed in time for the proper patch?

I’d be tempted to use the van without the awning for the time being.

If you have a crack in a piece of metal you stop drill it, meaning you drill a clean hole just at the last piece of the crack, this (hopefully) stops the crack. You might be able to sew the tear together near the end of the rip. I haven't seen a Fiamma fabric so unfortunatly this might not be feasable. Either way, attaching something at the top and bottom of the tear should help.

Just noticed that I have a minor nick (only about 2 or 3mm) in the edge of my F45s canopy - the only thing I can think that has caused it is attachment of the Fiamma Privacy room's fast clip system. I've ordered a repair kit from Fiamma which will hopefully fix. However, I was intending to use the awning over the coming weekend with no chance of the kit arriving before we go tomorrow.

My concern is that, unchecked, the nick will quickly turn into a more serious tear that the repair kit is unable to cover (I have visions of the rip running the full width of the awning once we apply a bit of pressure via the tie down kit!).

Has anyone had to deal with a damaged canopy and/or able to advise if the damage is likely to quickly get worse if we use the awning before applying the patch?

Thanks.

My MH F45 got caught by a freak storm in Switzerland several years ago. This resulted in it kinking the metal front of the awning, and a tiny cut just behind the metal in the fabric. I managed to fix the kink, but left the cut with the intention of having it repaired properly, and never got round to it, because it's out of sight, and it's never got worse.

In fact i'd actually forgotten about it until now :rolleyes:

My MH F45 got caught by a freak storm in Switzerland several years ago. This resulted in it kinking the metal front of the awning, and a tiny cut just behind the metal in the fabric. I managed to fix the kink, but left the cut with the intention of having it repaired properly, and never got round to it, because it's out of sight, and it's never got worse.

In fact i'd actually forgotten about it until now :rolleyes:
Thanks - just the sort of info/experience I was hoping for - I'm intending to temporarily fix with tenacious tape and see how it goes over the weekend.

Thanks - just the sort of info/experience I was hoping for - I'm intending to temporarily fix with tenacious tape and see how it goes over the weekend.

Be careful the tenacious tape doesn't stick to good you might do more damage getting it off
Can you not do the repair with clear tenacious tape instead of the repair kit

I guess it's just common sense which you already will know as a seasoned camper, and just don't over tension the fabric.

(Sorry, eggs and how to lay them)

Back