Best modular windblocker and privacy room for F45s 260 ?

spicercrew

I am looking for a modular wind-break and privacy-room solution to complement my Fiamma F45s 260 awning. Use cases are as a temporary windbreak for picnics and days-out, as well as a full privacy room to store chairs and allow private use of the porta-loo overnight. Must be quick & easy to erect and dismantle single-handed, not taking up too much room stored in the van. After weeks (erm - maybe months !!) of research I think my options are :
  1. Lillypad Leisure Windblockers
    • Advantages = small packed size
    • Disadvantages = look flimsy, seem expensive (with membranes), requires separate pole
  2. Parrotsol Windblockers
    • Advantages = small packed size
    • Disadvantages = i dont like the look of them - plastic !!, requires separate pole
  3. Comfortz Leisure camping room
    • Advantages = acceptable packed size, material feels like a proper tent, no pole required
    • Disadvantages = slightly reduced space inside as hangs off canopy arm-struts, not completely air-tight
  4. Fiamma Privacy Room Light
    • Advantages = Clip System creates very stable rigid construction for windy usage, proper tent room, possibly quick to erect ?, manageable packed size
    • Disadvantage = expensive, lots of pegs
  5. Fiamma Privacy Room (standard)
    • Advantages = very solid, very weatherproof
    • Disadvantages = very expensive, very heavy, very bulky
There are pro's and con's to each of these and loads of great advice on these forums. Just about all of the advice regarding the standard Fiamma Privacy Room are that it is bulky and heavy and people typically sell it soon after they buy it. However, I havent seen anyone comment on the 'light' version. Its about half the weight of the standard, and from the videos looks like it should be fairly quick and easy to erect.

Has anyone owned the Fiamma Privacy Room Light ?
Any other thoughts or advice ?

I know this has been covered before but advice is scattered so hoping that this thread may update the info for 2021 and put it all in one place :)

Thanks

We have a Fiamma standard privacy room, it weighs a ton, is bulky and stiff. Great when up but......just sat in our shed unused for the past 5 years or so.
We bought the Lillypad original wind blockers and they are fantastic, you can stuff them into a little bag, only need a few pegs, seem indestructible, keep out the wind and give some shade. Like net curtains they give you privacy in daylight but not at night if you have a light on.
When touring we use them all the time, generally just one side and sometimes the front when we can’t be bothered with the drive away awning and in the heatwave a couple of years ago they were a life saver.
As an aside if you slide in the front piece with the awning wound in then you have a great fly/mozzie screen over the sliding door.
Sorry but I can’t comment on the membrane system.

Thanks Nigel

so thats 1 vote for Lillypad. I must say i really like the idea of a fly screen with the awning wound in; very clever.

We have a Fiamma standard privacy room, it weighs a ton, is bulky and stiff. Great when up but......just sat in our shed unused for the past 5 years or so.
We bought the Lillypad original wind blockers and they are fantastic, you can stuff them into a little bag, only need a few pegs, seem indestructible, keep out the wind and give some shade. Like net curtains they give you privacy in daylight but not at night if you have a light on.
When touring we use them all the time, generally just one side and sometimes the front when we can’t be bothered with the drive away awning and in the heatwave a couple of years ago they were a life saver.
As an aside if you slide in the front piece with the awning wound in then you have a great fly/mozzie screen over the sliding door.
Sorry but I can’t comment on the membrane system.
You selling the Fiamma ?

I just went for the Fiamma Privacy Room Light, perfect for a few days away in the nice weather.

out of all the Fiamma branded awnings, its our favourite. it has a relatively small packed size (compared to the heavier weight Fiamma’s) and in my opinion offers the most stable & weatherproof option (compared to other brands) as the left and right side bars clamp the canvas of the awning roof and stop the wind getting under the canopy.

We liked it and used it for a few trips but have decided to take a different approach due to the way our van is configured. We have a Fiamma wind-out on the right hand side (drivers side) and a Reimo Multirail on the Left hand side. Our living and sleeping happens on the left and the right hand side is only used for cooking, with rapid erection and departure.

Thus we will be selling the Fiamma light. For someone with the correct van config and use case it would be perfect.

I will need to consult the boss about the price & to make sure she wants to move it on; she really liked the Fiamma and it’s me that has changed the configuration yet again ! We are away touring France in the van for the whole of August so won’t be back to sort this until September. Does that timeframe work for you ? We live in the SouthEast near Reading if you wanted to view it on collection. It comes with all the pegs, tie-downs & curtains and has only been used a few times. The original Fiamma bag is shaped like a ski-bag; very long to accommodate the poles. This bag has ripped due to the poles poking through, which has not been an issue for me as I just use a more convenient shaped bag and store the poles separately. It’s easy to find somewhere to store a long thin pole but really hard to store a long fat bag !

Had a chat with the wife and she will reluctantly move on. Price = £299 (+ postage if required). She has a better memory than me so here are a few more details:

- Its been used 4 or 5 times max; we have only used it twice and the previous owner told me he only used it once or twice.
- Only issues are damage to the bag (already mentioned) and that a few of the curtain hook sliders are missing but these do not affect its operation
- If you want to view it but distance is an issue, we can make a video for you.
- Fiamma make many different awnings with similar names so here is a link to the exact model: Fiamma Privacy Room Light - 260 Van
- Its retail price is £720 inc vat; Agent Fiamma sell it for £650 inc vat.

Hope this helps your decision making. Left me know what you want to do

You selling the Fiamma ?
Sorry only just seen this - we still have it but after sitting folded in our garage for 6 years I dread to think what condition it’s in plus it really does weigh a ton and the poles used to hold the sides are long so posting would be expensive.

Had a chat with the wife and she will reluctantly move on. Price = £299 (+ postage if required). She has a better memory than me so here are a few more details:

- Its been used 4 or 5 times max; we have only used it twice and the previous owner told me he only used it once or twice.
- Only issues are damage to the bag (already mentioned) and that a few of the curtain hook sliders are missing but these do not affect its operation
- If you want to view it but distance is an issue, we can make a video for you.
- Fiamma make many different awnings with similar names so here is a link to the exact model: Fiamma Privacy Room Light - 260 Van
- Its retail price is £720 inc vat; Agent Fiamma sell it for £650 inc vat.

Hope this helps your decision making. Left me know what you want to do
I'll pm you..... @spicercrew

Back