Fiamma carry-bike for barn-door

When fitting a faimma bike rack to a van with barn doors, what is the ideal measurement from the edge of the door to the right hand clamp, thanks

Hi

Does anyone have any useful experience of the Fiamma bike rack designed for barn doors? Does it damage the door at all or leave marks?

I don’t think I can justify the outlay currently for a tow bar plus bike carrier and the the Fiamma appears to be the only other option.

Thanks

You have to mount it perfectly to make sure it won’t damage the door. I didn’t trust ours to carry more than lightweight bikes. Once my wife got an electric bike, we moved to a towbar mounted rack.

Pete

Ok, thanks. It’s a big outlay for the tow bar and rack and I just don’t think we’ll get the use out of it…… doesn’t it render reverse cameras/ sensors useless too?

Can’t comment on the camera, but yes, the sensors are disabled if something is plugged into the towbar electrics.

We tend to take bikes every time we use our camper, so it made sense. And the towbar gives extra flexibility.

Pete

I've got the barn door T6 bike rack. Matt black on my Iridium (?) grey van, it looks the part. I've added some black self amalgamating tape onto two sections of tubing that overlapped to give more weatherproofing and along the bottom where it sits above the rear bumper step. I rarely open the barn doors but last time nearly a year after installation there was no marking from the tubing or the circular rest that sits in the centre of the bumper step. The rack comes with tape and a rubberised/plastic insert that sits between the metal attachments at the top, if it's going to mark it might do so on the bottom of the barn doors where the attachment is metal to metal.

I've got the barn door T6 bike rack. Matt black on my Iridium (?) grey van, it looks the part. I've added some black self amalgamating tape onto two sections of tubing that overlapped to give more weatherproofing and along the bottom where it sits above the rear bumper step. I rarely open the barn doors but last time nearly a year after installation there was no marking from the tubing or the circular rest that sits in the centre of the bumper step. The rack comes with tape and a rubberised/plastic insert that sits between the metal attachments at the top, if it's going to mark it might do so on the bottom of the barn doors where the attachment is metal to metal.
Hi - just looking for some help re the Fiamma 2 Bike rear carrier. I've got one which clamps easily to the top of the door but can't seem to secure it at the bottom. When I tighten the clamp to the bumper it lifts the top clamp away from its housing. Doesn't seem secure and the supplied instructions are appalling. Thanks

Hi - just looking for some help re the Fiamma 2 Bike rear carrier. I've got one which clamps easily to the top of the door but can't seem to secure it at the bottom. When I tighten the clamp to the bumper it lifts the top clamp away from its housing. Doesn't seem secure and the supplied instructions are appalling. Thanks

Yep, it's a pain to fit! Take a look in this recent thread for some advice and photos:

Hi

Does anyone have any useful experience of the Fiamma bike rack designed for barn doors? Does it damage the door at all or leave marks?

I don’t think I can justify the outlay currently for a tow bar plus bike carrier and the the Fiamma appears to be the only other option.

Thanks
Very easy to damage the barn door I have a bumper protector and it’s now scratched. I don’t trust the rack fixings so use a small ratchet strap round the bikes, rack and door. IMO save your money or be very careful using it.

Thanks for reply. I was advised by the seller Just Kampers that there was no requirement to screw the rack onto the bottom bumper but I cannot see any other way to make it secure & safe. Also if it were to be screwed onto bumper then you would be unable to open the door! The circular clamp at the bottom when tightened then cause the top clamps to come away from their holding on the top door hinges. So far very unimpressed as I think the rack is practically unusable. Would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks much.

Well so far we have done 1550 km with rack fitted and bikes on. No rubbing on top or bottom of the door, but a little mark on the bumper (2/3mm) where bottom rubs. I have since put some tape across the marks, so fingers crossed. The bike's weight is 34kg less batteries, so again happy enough and not noticed big change in MPG.......
Works for us.

You do not screw rack into bottom bumper - it fits to bottom for the door.

Thanks, managed (with difficulty) to get it aligned and as secure as I can get it. Proof (fingers crossed) will be when we fit the bikes and take it for a spin. Photos attached to assist with any others experiencing similar issues. Worst manufacturing instructions ever BTW.

16573016070101715853048549988756.jpg

16573016261156443588894333827469.jpg

16573016487396528614090221658391.jpg

16573016760279099616404974813645.jpg

Worst manufacturing instructions ever BTW.
Absolutely! Looks like you did a great job though :thumbsup:

Be sure to recheck that everything is still tight with the weight of the bikes on. I found I needed to nip the bottom bolts up a bit tighter once or twice in the beginning but they’ve been fine ever since.

Thanks for reply. I was advised by the seller Just Kampers that there was no requirement to screw the rack onto the bottom bumper but I cannot see any other way to make it secure & safe. Also if it were to be screwed onto bumper then you would be unable to open the door! The circular clamp at the bottom when tightened then cause the top clamps to come away from their holding on the top door hinges. So far very unimpressed as I think the rack is practically unusable. Would appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks much.
the rack fits without screwing anything to the van, if you take care it can be fitted fairly well. The best fit I’ve ever done was to hang the bike rack onto the van without lower fixing I then added a 20kg bag of sand onto it which allowed finer adjustments and fitting of the lower clamps, don’t over tighten it.
When I removed it a couple of months later the top edge of the door showed some damage.
Why the designers didn’t include bolt fixings on the rear of the van is beyond me.
The rack isn’t that bad if care is taken but take care not to damage the van

We used one for 2 years. If you have barn doors, then I would now always suggest a tow bar mounted rack.

Pete

Back