Feedback >> T6 In Autotrader

The T32 KOMBI is a class 4 MOT, because it goes through as a “dual purpose vehicle” regardless of its maximum payload. I have had two MOT’s with my T32 Kombi, both at class 4. The T32 Panel Van goes through as a class 7.
The point about speed limits is correct though; 50/60/70.
I was told Class 7 for my T32 Kombi, and my local garage couldn’t test it. The Dual purpose vehicle has an unladen max weight of 2040kg so only some Kombis would fall into this category.

I was told Class 7 for my T32 Kombi, and my local garage couldn’t test it. The Dual purpose vehicle has an unladen max weight of 2040kg so only some Kombis would fall into this category.
As above. I have a T32 kombi that has been MOT’d twice, both times under class 4.
As far as i’ve been told MOT element is not concerned with the 2040kg stipulation. That is related to a T6 kombi (dual purpose) being able to travel at car related speeds.
Have screen shot the MOT categories below from gov.uk
896292B7-5EC2-44CF-A785-E482C942F393.png
The class 7 is for T32 goods vehicle (I.e panel van), because the kombi (regardless of payload derivative) is a class 4 as a dual purpose vehicle.
This is what I was told by my test station, and also is recorded in an MOT thread elsewhere on here.
Can’t obviously account for why you have been told something different by your test station, but they are clearly interpreting the above differently to my test station.

Not very helpful really is it?????

Which Mot

As above. I have a T32 kombi that has been MOT’d twice, both times under class 4.
As far as i’ve been told MOT element is not concerned with the 2040kg stipulation. That is related to a T6 kombi (dual purpose) being able to travel at car related speeds.
Have screen shot the MOT categories below from gov.uk
View attachment 57776
The class 7 is for T32 goods vehicle (I.e panel van), because the kombi (regardless of payload derivative) is a class 4 as a dual purpose vehicle.
This is what I was told by my test station, and also is recorded in an MOT thread elsewhere on here.
Can’t obviously account for why you have been told something different by your test station, but they are clearly interpreting the above differently to my test station.

Not very helpful really is it?????

Which Mot
I agree you seem to get a different answer depending on who ask with most things, I’m reading the screenshot below as a dual purpose vehicle must be below the stated weight?? And reading further it seems to say must be able to select awd?.4611A777-6929-4429-B254-99BCB4C2629F.png

The way that I read it is that mine is considered class 7 as I have an unladen weight over 2040kg.

According to the "converting into a motor caravan" page -

The body type does not affect the insurance category of the vehicle, or have any effect on speed limits or other legislative requirements. It is only used for establishing vehicle appearance and identification.

It is important to remember that even if the vehicle’s body type is not changed to ‘motor caravan’, the vehicle can still be used for this purpose as long as the keeper is satisfied the converted vehicle meets the required internal features for motor caravans.

Very confusing!!

No put it in for MoT as class 4 - my Merc 508D ran at 4.5 tonne and was always MoT tested "as presented" ie motorcaravan and class 4.
Don't get confused by the differing scenarios:
Conversion to motorcaravan/re-registration.
Speed limits.
MoT.

No put it in for MoT as class 4 - my Merc 508D ran at 4.5 tonne and was always MoT tested "as presented" ie motorcaravan and class 4.
Don't get confused by the differing scenarios:
Conversion to motorcaravan/re-registration.
Speed limits.
MoT.

Mine isn't a full conversion unfortunately - I have got a pop top and rib bed, but not fixed storage, table or cooking facilities at the moment...

Hi everyone - thanks for all the help to date. I never bought the van in the original post as much as I loved it. I had a 45 mins chat with the owner who's a great guy on his 3rd VW van.

I have however out a deposit down on a 2016 T6 4Motion with DSG ......

Have started a list of things to start modding and fettling. The possibilities seem infinite !

For now I''ll start with the basics such as carpeting, seat covers (Inka ?) and wind deflectors (Team Heko).

Cheers,
Cal

Hi everyone - thanks for all the help to date. I never bought the van in the original post as much as I loved it. I had a 45 mins chat with the owner who's a great guy on his 3rd VW van.

Have started a list of things to start modding and fettling. The possibilities seem infinite !

For now I''ll start with the basics such as carpeting, seat covers (Inka ?) and wind deflectors (Team Heko).

Cheers,
Cal
just remember to plan out your electrics and other cabling - where stuff gos - especially if you consider a solar and lithium set-up. :)

Cheers,
Cal

What are you going to be using the van for?

Cheers,
Cal
Good to hear you found the right van for you. You can now enjoy the process of owning and modifying! Pics essential once you get the van of course!

Back