Fault codes p13d6 and 24936

@mmi Could I add my van to this intriguing mix (if it’s of interest to you)…. mine is a EU6 102PS and for the first time (in my ownership) yesterday morning I had the coil light flashing on start up?

WV1ZZZ7HZHH
Thanks... that's something new! Sounds to me it's time to purchase the VCDS :whistle: for deeper analysis :thumbsup:

New sensor fitted 18 months ago and the EML is back but now i'm thinking it isn't the sensor but more a wiring issue. Seems to trigger once the weather gets warmer but the wiring is buried under the intercooler so it's gonna be a bugger to diagnose,

Thanks for the reply mate, this issue started for me at 4000 miles after the software update for the adblue fault..... its had 3 new glow plugs and some sort of wiring loom.... light stayed off for 12 months but now its back! I keep clearing it but it comes back on every day!

I'm in the same boat. Pain innit. Do you get any other fault codes?
I'm also sometimes getting a U101900 (missing signal oil level/temperature) and U110100 (adaptive cruise control component protection) when P13D600 (implausible signal on cylinder 3) triggers the EML. That's what's making me think its a wiring/voltage issue.

Proper PITA.... I'm getting P13D6 and 24949..... i just dont understand it, VW have looked at it and a independent garage....

It was fine until VW updated the software....... please let me know if you fix it and I will do the same.

The plot thickens. So this week I heard a faint tapping noise once the engine went above 1300 revs then after a few minutes it went away. Today the same noise returned but louder this time. Nipped round to my mechanic and we both listened and the tapping seems to be coming from the cylinder 3 area but difficult to tell as it's under the intercooler
That's the reason I've posted in this thread beause it seems to be coming from the cyclinder that is also showing this fault code.
He was wondering if it may be an injector issue but he wasn't sure as the sound was more tappety/clicky, more like metal on metal rather than an "air sound" he said. Then the noise went away again.
Listening again this evening I'm sure I can still hear it very faintly when reving the engine, more a background tick sound, almost like the issue is still there but nowhere near as noisy as earlier today.
With him saying metal on metal im wondering if this could be an oil issue, like oil is not setting to some part on the engine for some time hence the noise, then it does get through hence the noise going away. I did do an oil change about 3 weeks ago and let it drain overnight so wondering if doing that could cause an issue?

Update.

Compression test completed - all fine.

Wiring looked at by independent garage, it seems VW didn't replace the glow plug wiring loom like they said they did! and they repaired it using cheap crimp connectors which have failed.

The garage have now soldered and shrink wrapped the wires properly and I no longer have an EML....hopefully that is the end of it!

I came across this researching the issue with my 2014 Jetta. I bought it as a CPO car from a VW dealer. It has just over 69000 miles on it. On a couple of occasions last winter it was very difficult to start, would start and go dead, it would eventually start if you gave it some throttle. If you tried to drive off after one of these incidents, it seemed to have very little power until it had warmed up a bit. Did not want to go when you pressed the accelerator. It had not thrown a code at that point and was still covered under VW CPO warranty. I took it to the dealer, but they could not reproduce the problem and since it was not throwing a code, they didn't do anything. Eventually it did throw a code, for P13D6, cylinder 3 glow plug implausible signal. Took it back to the dealer, this was covered under the extended diesel engine warranty.
So far it has been in the shop for about two months.

The first thing they did was to replace the glow plug. Set the fault code again after about 40 miles.
Then they replaced the engine wiring harness, set the fault code after about 20 miles.
Then they replaced the #3 fuel injector, set the code again after about 5 miles.
Last thing they did was a compression test, and reported that all cylinders were within spec at 190 psi.

Now they are saying it is probably the ECU and have opened a case with VW to see if that will be covered under the engine warranty.

That's great news. Disgusting that VW lied about the repair to begin with. Any ideas where on the loom yours had failed? Just wondering if there is a weak point to go at.

I don't know exactly but it might be worth replacing the glow plug loom for a new one.... I was lucky because the mechanic I used was willing to repair rather than replace....

Back