Factory Spring colour-markings.

Link: IFInterface
It takes you to the top level > Free Services > CarProg2 > then just navigate to the vehicle (TR, TRC, TRM), model year, chassis (7H,7J) > main group (5) > picture, e.g. 511-000... (as the picture in my post)
Thank you. I've tried it on my phone but not to good so give it a go on my laptop
View attachment 135273Brought two sets yesterday off 2x 6.1 t32 but they both got different markings can they both be off t32sView attachment 135274
The front coil in the first image the part no is 7la411105d, would that have been fitted on a t6.1 t32 along with the rear springs in the first image ?
The front coil in the second image is pn 7la411105f, would they also be fitted on a t6.1 t32 along with rear spring in the same image ?

I've just been having a look into this, wondering what the difference was between the springs that all had the same weight rating (0YE for example) and noticed that for the rears, the part codes that start with 7E0 generally seem to have two different colour marks on them, and as far as I can see these are all non linear springs - they use smaller diameter wire at each and with thicker in the middle. This means that the spring rate is lower for the first part of travel which should make it less harsh, then ramps up as it is compressed more in a non linear curve.

The ones starting 7J0 (maybe 7H5 and 7H8 too?) usually only have markings in one colour and are linear springs that use the same diameter wire throughout. They should have a harsher ride when empty because they have the higher spring rate throughout the travel. They also seem to be cheaper, presumably because they are easier to make.

One exception I can see to this is the springs with a number of grey marks on them, code starts 7H0, as they are actually non linear springs too.

Finally, and thanks for Steve at CRS performance for pointing this out to me, the weight code for the van (ie 0YE) doesn't change the spring rate of the spring (how hard it is) but the length, so on the standard springs an 0YE has a 259mm rear spring, 0YF 269mm, 0YH 280mm etc.

As mmi's IFInterface shows there will also be an 0YE for lowered springs, and for heavy duty (rough road) and T32 (I think 2MK is the VAG option code for T32) springs.

So if we are mainly interested in T32 springs (VAG code 2MK, aka uprated suspension option) you can see that the common grey marked springs are standard equipment for those and the T30 (0YA to 0YD), and as mentioned above, they are non linear so less harsh. Then 0YE and F are brown dots, linear so probably harsher when empty, then there is a grey brown range 0YG, 0YH, 0YJ which are non linear again but I haven't been able to find them for sale anywhere.

I've just been having a look into this, wondering what the difference was between the springs that all had the same weight rating (0YE for example) and noticed that for the rears, the part codes that start with 7E0 generally seem to have two different colour marks on them, and as far as I can see these are all non linear springs - they use smaller diameter wire at each and with thicker in the middle. This means that the spring rate is lower for the first part of travel which should make it less harsh, then ramps up as it is compressed more in a non linear curve.

The ones starting 7J0 (maybe 7H5 and 7H8 too?) usually only have markings in one colour and are linear springs that use the same diameter wire throughout. They should have a harsher ride when empty because they have the higher spring rate throughout the travel. They also seem to be cheaper, presumably because they are easier to make.

One exception I can see to this is the springs with a number of grey marks on them, code starts 7H0, as they are actually non linear springs too.

Finally, and thanks for Steve at CRS performance for pointing this out to me, the weight code for the van (ie 0YE) doesn't change the spring rate of the spring (how hard it is) but the length, so on the standard springs an 0YE has a 259mm rear spring, 0YF 269mm, 0YH 280mm etc.

As mmi's IFInterface shows there will also be an 0YE for lowered springs, and for heavy duty (rough road) and T32 (I think 2MK is the VAG option code for T32) springs.

So if we are mainly interested in T32 springs (VAG code 2MK, aka uprated suspension option) you can see that the common grey marked springs are standard equipment for those and the T30 (0YA to 0YD), and as mentioned above, they are non linear so less harsh. Then 0YE and F are brown dots, linear so probably harsher when empty, then there is a grey brown range 0YG, 0YH, 0YJ which are non linear again but I haven't been able to find them for sale anywhere.
Thank you for taking the time this certainly help a lot

View attachment 135273Brought two sets yesterday off 2x 6.1 t32 but they both got different markings can they both be off t32sView attachment 135274
Did you fit any of these? I'm wondering if the plastic end to the front springs, which I believe is a t6.1 thing, can be taken off so that they fit into the T5 and t6 shocks?

In case you are still wondering about the makings, I now know that both sets could be fitted to the T32 or some T30s depending on the unladen weight of the van, whether it has a tow bar, if the van has the rough road suspension package etc. The fronts are pretty much all that same colour coding format, so the top one is for an axle kerb weight (ie the empty weight, not max payload) of 1186-1235kg, the bottom one is 1286-1335kg.

On the rears there are kind of 2 main ranges of springs, the yellow ones are more standard and the grey ones are what would come with the rough road package. As far as I can tell, one difference is that the thinner, lower rate part of the spring is thinner on the standard range. I guess this is more liable to break. Also it seams that the "rough road" springs also have a thicker diameter wire in the middle, so should ramp up more. The empty weight range for 4x yellow is 767-812kg, which would be the same as for 4x grey. 3x grey is designed for 721-766kg, but could well sit higher than the 4x yellow.

I used to work for marzocchi bike suspension in a past life, and I remember vaguely about having to get the lower rate (thinner) part of the spring the correct rate for the normal payload, otherwise, if you have a higher normal payload the lower rate part of the spring just spends it's whole life compressed, and the first part of the suspension stroke that you experience is mainly the higher spring rate. I believe this is why they have two different ranges of springs with progressive spring curves, rather than just one simple one. My guess is that 4x yellow and 4x grey will both carry the full T32 payload, and are both designed to take the same empty weight on the lower rate of their spring curves to be more supple, but the grey would ramp up more and sit higher at max payload.

Did you fit any of these? I'm wondering if the plastic end to the front springs, which I believe is a t6.1 thing, can be taken off so that they fit into the T5 and t6 shocks?

In case you are still wondering about the makings, I now know that both sets could be fitted to the T32 or some T30s depending on the unladen weight of the van, whether it has a tow bar, if the van has the rough road suspension package etc. The fronts are pretty much all that same colour coding format, so the top one is for an axle kerb weight (ie the empty weight, not max payload) of 1186-1235kg, the bottom one is 1286-1335kg.

On the rears there are kind of 2 main ranges of springs, the yellow ones are more standard and the grey ones are what would come with the rough road package. As far as I can tell, one difference is that the thinner, lower rate part of the spring is thinner on the standard range. I guess this is more liable to break. Also it seams that the "rough road" springs also have a thicker diameter wire in the middle, so should ramp up more. The empty weight range for 4x yellow is 767-812kg, which would be the same as for 4x grey. 3x grey is designed for 721-766kg, but could well sit higher than the 4x yellow.

I used to work for marzocchi bike suspension in a past life, and I remember vaguely about having to get the lower rate (thinner) part of the spring the correct rate for the normal payload, otherwise, if you have a higher normal payload the lower rate part of the spring just spends it's whole life compressed, and the first part of the suspension stroke that you experience is mainly the higher spring rate. I believe this is why they have two different ranges of springs with progressive spring curves, rather than just one simple one. My guess is that 4x yellow and 4x grey will both carry the full T32 payload, and are both designed to take the same empty weight on the lower rate of their spring curves to be more supple, but the grey would ramp up more and sit higher at max payload.
Hi, no not fitted any of the front springs as I've only had the back springs fail on me. Thank you for your help it definitely helped me, let's hope someone comes along and let's us know about the plastics on the end

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, no not fitted any of the front springs as I've only had the back springs fail on me. Thank you for your help it definitely helped me, let's hope someone comes along and let's us know about the plastics on the end
I checked with Steve @ CRS and they are the same springs, just remove the end but with a heat gun.

Reviving this thread… here’s a new colour for you…

Three pink dots?

I think these are off a T6.1 beach?

Not sure these are heavy duty though…
0B48DBC2-C7C0-447A-9590-515D411BFE96.jpeg

I recently replaced my 2016 t6 4motion LWB t32 springs as one had broke but cant remember the origional markings. I replaced them with some heavey duty from local auto supplies but don't like the difference in ride height or handling.

Can anyone please advise what colour marking I require to return my t6 back to the correct original genuine springs

Many thanks

I recently replaced my 2016 t6 4motion LWB t32 springs as one had broke but cant remember the origional markings. I replaced them with some heavey duty from local auto supplies but don't like the difference in ride height or handling.

Can anyone please advise what colour marking I require to return my t6 back to the correct original genuine springs

Many thanks
Just found out from VW that my springs are 4 grey paint marks so thought I would post

Thanks

It's a California Beach, so not a T32. I believe it's based on a T30, but maybe different springs
There's not really such a thing as a T32 spring, plenty of T30s will come with the same springs as a T32, the ones that came on my T30 were actually a higher spring rate than the most common T32 colour codes. The only way to compare is to look at the PR codes for the individual van as it is based on the kerb weight of the spec as it leaves the factory.

Reactions: dj_
With all the confusion surrounding the coloured markings on these springs, is it completely safe to say that they should always match, i.e both rears should always have the same markings?

Last edited:
With all the confusion surrounding the coloured markings on these springs, is it completely safe to say that they should always match, i.e both rears should always have the same markings?
Yes, there were some old colours that were changed to new ones, so you could technically have the same spec springs left and right but with different colours, though this would mean that one spring is older than the other and they should be replaced in pairs.

HI, I'm new to this forum, but having read most threads now on rear springs I have decided to go for the T32 4 grey mark variant 7J0511115G. This should be OK as I usually operate at the high end of load capacity carrying all the gear and an open canoe on the roof. A few articles recommend the T32 with a higher grade rear shock absorber. could somebody recommend a good SA that would be compatible please.

Hello I Have on rear springs 4 x pink VW T5 Multivan. Can somebody recomend me harder springs. Tank you

Back