EGR flexi-pipe: Exhaust Fumes In Cab, Hissing From Engine Bay.

2500 rpm is the max in neutral so that should be enough.

I'm going to be very surprised if it doesn't turn out to be the pipe I mentioned earlier in the thread. It's the exact description of the issue I had, and an easy fault to find if you know how to look. Shame you don't live closer to me.

Thanks for all the help guys. Van is only approx 6 months old. . . 5000 miles. I went on a drive with the technician today, but I'm not massively convinced by his comments. He said it's "totally normal" for a cold engine and then went on to say that it was the "turbo actuator" and then said "it's the solenoid waiting for the oil to get through". Does that mean anything to anyone?

Thanks for all the help guys. Van is only approx 6 months old. . . 5000 miles. I went on a drive with the technician today, but I'm not massively convinced by his comments. He said it's "totally normal" for a cold engine and then went on to say that it was the "turbo actuator" and then said "it's the solenoid waiting for the oil to get through". Does that mean anything to anyone?
Sounds like he was taught by this guy :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That's helpful...and probably suggests something else rather than turbo leak then, as the sound I'm hearing happens under a fairly light load! I'll let you know what VW say when I've been out with the technician!
@dennismo did you manage to get this sorted? I've got the exact same noise from 1500rpm to 2000rpm with light throttle in 4th and above.
I don't know if I'm going mad but I'm sure it wasn't there 600 miles ago (when I picked up the van).

Mines done 8k miles, 150bhp 6 speed.

Cheers!

@dennismo did you manage to get this sorted? I've got the exact same noise from 1500rpm to 2000rpm with light throttle in 4th and above.
I don't know if I'm going mad but I'm sure it wasn't there 600 miles ago (when I picked up the van).

Cheers!

Have you tried my previous suggestions earlier in this thread, lifting the bonnet and getting someone to blip the throttle? It's pretty obvious if you stick your head round the back of the engine.

Yeah tried that, checked the intake hoses before and after the charge cooler and the egr pipe, all look good!

Maybe it was always there and now I'm just listening for it!?

It's most noticeable in 6th around 60-70mph gently accelerating, full throttle and it goes... Is there a recirc on these? Could be that?

Cheers!
Never got it sorted... partly just as life has been a bit hectic since then. As @Loz said, it felt like the technician had no idea. I've been meaning to go back and ask to drive another 150 to prove that it's "totally normal" but haven't got around to it...

Yeah tried that, checked the intake hoses before and after the charge cooler and the egr pipe, all look good!

The pipe in question is not visible in the engine bay, it's right at the back of the block. I only found the leak by putting my hand round the back (no comments please) and felt the air pulsing. Then used my phone to take loads of pics until it eventually focused up on the crack you can see in my picture.

I assume it cannot be the same issue, because it was pretty obvious.

This problem is temperature related and I think it has something to do with the alternator belt or one of the pulleys.

Reactions: mmi
Useful to read through the description of problems here as I encountered exactly the same yesterday on ‘66 204. Hissing upon low rev acceleration or blipping accelerator plus strong emission smells around front of van. New noise, never encountered so knew something was amiss. Called VW assist who sent AA and engineer immediately tracked problem to cracked EGR pipe. It’s going back to Jct Sheffield this week.

@SirVelo75 - I'd be interested to know how you get on. It was JCT Sheffield that told me that it was the "turbo actuator" and nothing to worry about :unsure:

The pipe in question is not visible in the engine bay, it's right at the back of the block. I only found the leak by putting my hand round the back (no comments please) and felt the air pulsing. Then used my phone to take loads of pics until it eventually focused up on the crack you can see in my picture.

I assume it cannot be the same issue, because it was pretty obvious.
Going to check that today, drove a 150 shuttle yesterday to compare and the engine is literally 75% more quiet so either mines got a hole in or that's just what a kombi sounds like with less insulation etc??

@SirVelo75 - I'd be interested to know how you get on. It was JCT Sheffield that told me that it was the "turbo actuator" and nothing to worry about :unsure:
Update: JCT Sheffield couldn’t book me in ‘til this Thurs so will post again then

Going to check that today, drove a 150 shuttle yesterday to compare and the engine is literally 75% more quiet so either mines got a hole in or that's just what a kombi sounds like with less insulation etc??
OK can't seem to find any leakage on pipework but generally the kombi sounds more agricultural even on tick over with the bonnet open comparing both vans, the kombi is louder? Different engine mounts or something? The sound insulation looks identical apart from the battery cover? Interesting either way!

Update to add, changed the oil today, its done 9k on original oil, refreshed with castrol and its a lot quieter and sounds less like a diesel now!

Just got to sort the boost noise out, maybe take a trip to the dealer to see if there's anything obvious I've missed...

Van went in to JCT Sheffield today. Tech agreed that what I’d described was thought to be the corrugated EGR pipe as described earlier this thread. Interestingly, the part has been superseded by a modified version with more corrugations presumably to increase tolerance to flex and breakage. Dealer agreed to replace with new pipe under warranty and all sorted. Weird noise has gone, as has stench of emissions in engine bay and cab too. Happy

Been wondering what the hissing was, and thought i could smell fumes! Thanks for this. Kind of like the noise with the bi turbo but suppose i better get it fixed!

If it was Turbo, you'd have some obvious drop in power.
Mine was down to a steel flexi-pipe on the back of the EGR valve. If it's the same as my issue, lift the bonnet and listen around the rear of the engine as someone blips the throttle. You should be able to hear a hissing sound quite obviously.

This is what you're looking for, and the black soot is where mine was leaking. The pipes are not expensive, about £17. I actually purchased 2 in case this was a common issue. It was quicker for me to fix the issue myself than wait for VW to fit me in.
It's not a difficult job, just a little awkward to reach one of the bolts.

View attachment 33360
Where can I get the pipe from please

Back