Everyday drive - wet grass and mud

Kwp0906

T6 Pro
I've got a T32 dsg (2wd) that I use everyday for taking the family here there and everywhere, but being a camper it often finds itself on wet fields or muddy country lanes and its getting embarrassing the number of times I'm brought to a standstill on wet grass and mud by even a tiny incline.. having read numerous threads on tyre choices I'm looking for a definitive answer to my problem based on others experience, ideally would like one tyre suitable for summer/ snow and mud but that might be a big ask. .. I'm tempted by either bfg or nokian weatherproof but would like to hear others thoughts.

running 17 inch original highline alloys

What you got?

I'd use General Grabber AT3s.
Used them on 3 LR Discovery's and 1 Transporter and they have never failed on all aspects. Value for money too as I get on average 30k miles per tyre.IMG_5563.JPGIMG_5595.JPG

I have Nokian Weatherproofs on mine, I go off road every week in winter, these tyres are much more capable than they look!
20200303_093205.jpg20200303_093240.jpg

Mine's a 4Motion but the chap who owns this field gets his "proper" 4x4 with chunky tyres stuck on here, I've never even had wheelspin!
The first time I drove on this field in wet conditions he laughed and said he'd go and get the tractor and tow rope ready, he was speechless when I drove away an hour later.
My guess would be that the General Grabbers are better off road, (They certainly look like they should be) but I'm very impressed by the Nokians, which are also excellent on road and, importantly, get an EU grade A for wet braking, not many tyres do that. Many accidents happen when somebody can't stop on a wet road.

Been speaking to the local tyre fitters today and they recommend either nokian weatherproof or vredestein quatrac pro.... any experiences with the vredesteins?

2 brilliant tyres IMO, just different balances of Off-Road V On-Road; either way round both are 3PMSF & M&S so use them all-season round with confidence. :thumbsup::thumbsup: (Nokian & GGAT3)

Forgive my useless tyre knowledge.

Currently run 215/60R17 on factory alloys, nokian in that size aren't load rated for T32 so possible options are

215/65R17 103H
225/60R17 103H
225/65R17 106H
235/60R17 106H

Which would be best?

Max axle weight of T32 is 1720kg so I'd need 860kg wheel rating minimum.

103 is 875kg
106 is 950kg

I'm leaning towards 106 for a bigger margin.

Last edited:
I've got a T32 dsg (2wd) that I use everyday for taking the family here there and everywhere, but being a camper it often finds itself on wet fields or muddy country lanes and its getting embarrassing the number of times I'm brought to a standstill on wet grass and mud by even a tiny incline.. having read numerous threads on tyre choices I'm looking for a definitive answer to my problem based on others experience, ideally would like one tyre suitable for summer/ snow and mud but that might be a big ask. .. I'm tempted by either bfg or nokian weatherproof but would like to hear others thoughts.

running 17 inch original highline alloys

What you got?
Ours is a 2 wd camper and yes we can get stuck even with one front wheel on wet grass. Unfortunately don’t think tyres make that much difference on two wheel drive. We get stuck with our winters Nokian WR C3s just as much as our summers. We now carry 4 lengths of grip mat around just to get off of fields when camping. Yes it is embarrassing.

Forgive my useless tyre knowledge.

Currently run 215/60R17 on factory alloys, nokian in that size aren't load rated for T32 so possible options are

215/65R17 103H
225/60R17 103H
225/65R17 106H
235/60R17 106H

Which would be best?

Max axle weight of T32 is 1720kg so I'd need 860kg wheel rating minimum.

103 is 875kg
106 is 950kg

I'm leaning towards 106 for a bigger margin.
235/60/17 all day long, so long as you aren't too lowered.

Been speaking to the local tyre fitters today and they recommend either nokian weatherproof or vredestein quatrac pro.... any experiences with the vredesteins?

I had the vredestein’s M&S on my Tiguan, pulling a caravan it never spun or got stuck. Great tyres and lasted 40k miles.

Back