Eurotunnel overnight - where to kip?

Nige_g

Retired
T6 Guru
I don't normally use Eurotunnel but will probably use it in October. I will be travelling down overnight arriving midnight (ish) to get a very early crossing at around 5 am. Is there free parking before check-in where I can just park up for a few hours kip or is the check-in open all night so I can check-in then kip in the van after check-in area?

I have travelled many times up and down France and Spain but I have never noticed if the service stations have showers as never looked for them. I am travelling alone down to Spain and just intend stopping wherever for sleeps (hopefully in The Pyrenees for a night) but may want to shower and thought service stations will probably have them. Anyone got any experience of them, free, cash, tokens, for truckers only etc ?

If you arrive early you will have the option (subject to space) to go on an earlier train if you wish, or you can choose to stay on your original booked train. Once inside the terminal gates there is a parking area next to the terminal building (where there are shops and toilets) where you can stay until your train departs, I'm not aware of any restrictions on how long you before your booked crossing you can turn up, but you may be better off getting the crossing over with and stopping once you're in France at a nearby Aire.
Have a look at Park4night, there are loads of options on there... Sangatte anybody?

OK thanks. I know I'll be tired as I will only have landed back in the UK at 0340 on the day I travel to the tunnel, so was hoping for a kip before I then drive down through France. But where I kip doesn't really matter I guess.

Reactions: JOG
Jesus, you be careful driving with that distance and lack of sleep.
I live close to Manchester Airport so will be home not long after landing. I can get a decent sleep in the day, then leave late evening to get to Dover. Failing that, I could get a train later the following day. I want to be just south of Alicante by the Thursday (Friday at the latest).

Second time this year it'll be in France and Spain. Calais to my place in Spain is around1850 KM, give or take, depending on route and around an 18 hour drive (obvs I'll be breaking it up!)

I had a 07.20 crossing booked last week and had a pleasant nights sleep at The Valiant Sailor about 10 mins away. I'm sure you could get in there for a few hours.
Eurotunnel were happy for me to get the 06.20 too.

OK, cheers. Probably as easy for me as I'll be arriving midnightish going straight to the tunnel.

We use Portsmouth to Caen as a rule too, have done for a long time, but with the time I have doesn't really fit the ferry crossings and I want to be on the road first thing on the 11th. I don't have time to get the night crossing on the 10th either.

I will be travelling back with my wife, who will be flying out to join me. We will no doubt use that route on return.

Just sleep in the car park at the tunnel. We went over to the Ring a few years back, left Manchester about midnight and arrived at the tunnel around sixish. We slept in the cars for a few hours before our train. Plus got another 30mins on the train!

Forget parking up in the UK close to the tunnel. Get into France and use one of the Aires close to Calais. This one is free and lists as having toilets although I didn't see them three weeks ago.
Plenty more places to stop on France - use Search for Sites and have a look.
The only times on the 11th I can get are 0320 and 0520 and as I expect to get there midnight or thereabouts it was a short sleep time before the train, say 3 or 4 hours. I would no doubt stop for asleep in France too in an Aire.

You can always pay silly money to park long enough to get a bit of shut-eye on one of our motorway parks. There is one on Junction 11 but I don' know the parking charge.
We're out through the tunnel on Wednesday afternoon and will head for an Aire in France.

Please remember that if you turn up more than four hours before your departure time you will not be allowed on site The ticket machine will print you an exit ticket.This happened to me back in May.

Please remember that if you turn up more than four hours before your departure time you will not be allowed on site The ticket machine will print you an exit ticket.This happened to me back in May
Ticket machine, as in car park ticket machine?

Ahh I see. I wondered what machine he meant.

Anyone got experience of the second part of my post re showers at motorway services?

Back