Eurotunnel - classification of vehicle...

JAS

Hi All,
looking for Advice please on the following:
Still in my first year owning my T6 and venturing to France in July. (scary).
What do you class the van as for the crossing? ie Van (with trailer for bikes) or motorhome (with trailer)?
Have spent ages trying to get through to speak with someone at booking.

I always book as a high car. I do have a cycle carrier (a tow bar mounted one), but I’ve never listed it as a trailer. From my registration they class me as a minibus so I always have to call them. They ask me how many seats I have, I tell them 5 and they then add my registration to the booking.

I've taken my old Transit van across the channel several times and it was always classed as a van. I always booked on line, listed it as a van and entered the van height and length, i.e.under 2.0m in height and less than 5.0m long. You'll need to declare if you have a trailer attached.
It was always a set charge, one way £85.00 although its been a few years since I've made the crossing. If I was to make the same journey in a people carrier or large SUV the same size the price would be about half. Because you're in a van it's classed as a commercial vehicle, just an excuse for the ferry operators to charge more in my opinion.
I've ordered a new T6 kombi and planning to take it across the channel. I'm planning to book it as a large car.

Has anyone taken a kombi on the ferry, if so what was it listed as?

Just been over this weekend. As Deaky said you have to phone them to override the system. They ask if you have rear windows and seats then it’s charged as a high vehicle £60 return for my trip.

Ditto here.
No issues, as they are well aware of the limitations of their system

I always travel as a large car over 1.85m and no issues as I have 5 seats. if you have a Caravelle they may have an issue with that classification but if a kombi they wont. I do it 3-4 times each year and never had an issue. i dont have a bike rack on the back of roof box

This is interesting! I have a Kombi with a rock n roll bed (2 seatbelts) in the back in lieu of the rear seats. Obviously has a rear screen but not rear 1/4 windows. Weve always booked on as a van but now I'm thinking it could be a 'large car'? Anyone with experience in a similar van?

This is interesting! I have a Kombi with a rock n roll bed (2 seatbelts) in the back in lieu of the rear seats. Obviously has a rear screen but not rear 1/4 windows. Weve always booked on as a van but now I'm thinking it could be a 'large car'? Anyone with experience in a similar van?
I have a Kombi, windows in the sliding doors but not in the rear quarters. Never had a problem booking as a high car.

Thanks all for your tips/advice.
I’m finally booked on the shuttle, as a ‘car over 6ft’ (sigh of relief as cheaper)
I did have to ring as the online system wouldn’t accept the van registration as a large car.
I only assume this maybe the case as the docs are still with DVLA.
Or reading your comments it maybe a call I need to do every time when booking.
They took the booking on the basis it is 5 seater and therefore classed as a minibus (slightly puzzled with that though)
Anyhow’s ‘Le france’ here we come

@JAS Technically La (Belle) France. Enjoy your trip and your time here, plenty of lovely places to see and food to eat. It is nice to explore the highways and byways and just use the autoroutes (A designated roads) to get into an area and then use the N and D designated roads to explore.

Thanks all for your tips/advice.
I’m finally booked on the shuttle, as a ‘car over 6ft’ (sigh of relief as cheaper)
I did have to ring as the online system wouldn’t accept the van registration as a large car.
I only assume this maybe the case as the docs are still with DVLA.
Or reading your comments it maybe a call I need to do every time when booking.
They took the booking on the basis it is 5 seater and therefore classed as a minibus (slightly puzzled with that though)
Anyhow’s ‘Le france’ here we come

They had my Kombi as a 9 seater minibus based on the reg so initially would accept it as a large car over 1.85m, they asked how many seats, I said 5, they said its a large car then

They had my Kombi as a 9 seater minibus based on the reg so initially would accept it as a large car over 1.85m, they asked how many seats, I said 5, they said its a large car then

Which Shipping/Ferry line & where to apart from the answer France ?

As I’ve paid a lot more than that using Brittany Ferries Portsmouth to St Malo & that includes my Club Discounts

Do they physically check how many seats are in a combi?

Because from outside mine looks like a combi but inside the seats are gone and been replaced with kitchen pod and sofa/bed

Which Shipping/Ferry line & where to apart from the answer France ?

As I’ve paid a lot more than that using Brittany Ferries Portsmouth to St Malo & that includes my Club Discounts

That was the tunnel not the ferry that had my vehicle logged that way, always in a rush so never get the ferry as usually have clients to met and greet on the other side :)

Here is the info for the Eurotunnel: Vans

Campervan
Any vehicle which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities).

A campervan normally works out as £11 more each way and you get put in with the higher roof vehicles (single deck carriage). If you have a pop top you are likely to be over 1.85m.

Here is the info for the Eurotunnel: Vans

Campervan
Any vehicle which includes living accommodation (including (without limitation) seats, table, sleeping, cooking and storage facilities).

A campervan normally works out as £11 more each way and you get put in with the higher roof vehicles (single deck carriage). If you have a pop top you are likely to be over 1.85m.

Happy days no table in mine

They also wanted to inspect that our gas was switched off on one occasion. So they may want to look in...... o_O

Back