Eurotunnel - classification of vehicle...

I have a Kombi, windows in the sliding doors but not in the rear quarters. Never had a problem booking as a high car.

Yup, you’re right! Rang up and booked it and the lady was really helpful. Just asked me to describe the van and confirmed it should go on as a large car. Good old T6 forum.
Thanks!

Andy

Le Shuttle for speed and efficiency!! And good for Eastern France/Paris and the South.

Ferries ( Brittany ) Portsmouth/Plymouth, for the west - especially Loire/Bordeaux/Brittany.

You'll have a ball - enjoy Les Vacances!!:somersault:

Can you go in the tunnel with gas? I met a Dutch camper in the camping pitch next to us as he said he couldn't use the tunnel with gas on board.

yep....not a problem.
If all the safety standards are applied as per UK installation then "pas de problem"

Hi All, does anyone know what I would get away with going to France. Lwb Komi sportline replica, it will have some signwriting on but will look pretty tricked up still. It wont be an average works van, could I book as a large car?

Hi All, does anyone know what I would get away with going to France. Lwb Komi sportline replica, it will have some signwriting on but will look pretty tricked up still. It wont be an average works van, could I book as a large car?

As long as its under 5 mtrs long and 2mtrs high

Hi, very new to this forum and this topic was one of the reasons we joined. We have just bought a 16 plate T32 lwb shuttle 9 seater and have booked with dfds to go to Amsterdam in October. One dfds agent said it was a commercial vehicle we said no it's not ended the call and phoned back speaking to another agent who agreed it was a large car. When we bought the vehicle there was no vat on it and the V5 says MPV car. Am I right in saying that the ferry company has to accept what is printed on the V5. Worried in case we encounter a jobsworth at Tyneside port

The ferry company can charge what they like, but most follow what is on the V5. Glass all round and more than 3 seats.

We use DFDS all the time from Newhaven-Dieppe. They don't seem to care & are the most laid back of the ferry companies in terms of height/length etc. We book through the Caravan & Camping club, much cheaper. E.g this year, LWB conversion & boat trailer, £570 direct with DFDS, £357 through CCC. Just book it on as a camper, they don't check in my experience.

We use DFDS all the time from Newhaven-Dieppe. They don't seem to care & are the most laid back of the ferry companies in terms of height/length etc. We book through the Caravan & Camping club, much cheaper. E.g this year, LWB conversion & boat trailer, £570 direct with DFDS, £357 through CCC. Just book it on as a camper, they don't check in my experience.

Apologies for hijacking such an old thread, but in a couple of weeks we’re taking our van (a T30 Kombi camper conversion) across to France for the first time ever. Exciting if slightly scary. We’d like to find the cheapest crossing possible, which seems like it might be Dover - Calais/Dunkirk via DFDS booked via Caravan & Motorhome Club. However since seeing that nobody’s managed to get their converted van reclassified, we haven’t even tried, so on the V5 the body type is still “van/side windows” and taxation class “light goods vehicle”. Given that on C&MC you can only specify the vehicle as a car or motor caravan, I’m nervous that out booking would be invalid if somebody actually checked the V5 and we’d be left stranded or having to cough up a fortune. Am I worrying about nothing or would I be better off using le shuttle, which might be the safer bet?

Nobody will check your V5. I always book as a high car on the tunnel, and ferries. Never had an issue. I’m a van with side windows too :thumbsup:

Last year i ended up ringing the tunnel bookings. As above i paid the same as a car. Reasonable price. don't forget you can use your Tesco club points towards the booking as well. Have a great trip.

When you book on the Le Shuttle it automatically enters the vehicle type from the registration number you enter. One of the downsides of having a camper reclassified with DVLA. Even though it has the same footprint as a van, you get hit with the motorhome premium on the fare. I made sure I got my money's worth for said premium and stuck a roof box on a bike rack, to carry kit. It's not a trailer so no additional charge for it.

20191006_183822.jpg

What is Eurotunnels definition of a campervan ? Is it the same as the UK govt and do they take it from a V5 check?

Seems to be about 20% cheaper to book as a campervan as opposed to a PV.
I have a bed, electrics, no kitchen, no gas etc.

What is Eurotunnels definition of a campervan ? Is it the same as the UK govt and do they take it from a V5 check?

Seems to be about 20% cheaper to book as a campervan as opposed to a PV.
I have a bed, electrics, no kitchen, no gas etc.
Then you’re a camper van!

They check online if you put your reg in when booking online, some have got around it by leaving off the vrn until check in.
there is a largish topic on this on the cali forum as some are registered as mpv etc. and book as a high car, which is cheaper than motohome.
Post in thread 'Eurotunnel - stopped at terminal travelling with Ocean on high car ticket.'
Eurotunnel - stopped at terminal travelling with Ocean on high car ticket.

Last edited:
Back