Eurotunnel - A Sneaky Little Trick ;)

Hi All,

Not been on for a while but as I have had a bit of trouble before booking my Kombi onto Eurotunnel, I found out earlier this week, a sneaky trick that was suggested by a guy in Eurotunnel's call centre.

As usual, VW Transporters don't fall easily into a category and as I have found out before, you get to a certain point while booking online to only be told you have entered the wrong registration number or wrong vehicle category.

I was getting a bit "miffed" so called the help line and was told that when you get to the point of entering your reg, click the box that says you don't know it!

I did this and saved £100 on my return trip! ;)

Worth remembering I think :)

Ah, the reg. number states TBC so I must have booked it before buying my van :cool:
£208 return trip in July sounds about right I think?

Mine has roof bars and a T32 so I always state its over 1.85m.
£208 is a good price! I have to book Flexi+ as I mainly use it for emergency runs for work but its still a good saving not stating the reg ;)

Also, if you are using any peage in France, go to an unmaned booth and put your ticket in the lowest slot (Higher one is for Lorries).
If you do this, it thinks you are in a car :) We did this last year and saved a fortune hehe :)

I need to change my name to Sneaky Blinder lol

I called the call centre and they said if it has windows all round it’s classed as a “high car”

Another sneaky trick is the M6 toll. I paid £9 on the way down to Bognor Motors, had the van lowered and paid £6 on the way back. I called them complaints dept. And the said there is a “beam” on approach to the pay booth which is set at 1.3mts ( bonnet height) apparently. She said either carry more weight or let some air out your tyres. My response was “ can you hear yourself “ and hung up

Another trick, if you plan to travel a few times a year is to buy 10 trips, ie 5 returns via the frequent traveler scheme. £46 each way, there are some extras if you travel in peak times. And if you don't think you'll use all the tickets in a year, then share them with a friend.

I called the call centre and they said if it has windows all round it’s classed as a “high car”

Another sneaky trick is the M6 toll. I paid £9 on the way down to Bognor Motors, had the van lowered and paid £6 on the way back. I called them complaints dept. And the said there is a “beam” on approach to the pay booth which is set at 1.3mts ( bonnet height) apparently. She said either carry more weight or let some air out your tyres. My response was “ can you hear yourself “ and hung up
Mine's lowered and I paid £9 the other day on the M6 toll :(

£6.40 on the toll since its been lowered (only about 50mm), £11.60 before. Will take a few trips to recoup the investment though.:sneaky:

Just looking to book the tunnel for next year. A transporter or California are £30 more each way than a Caravelle???
Anyone taken a kombi booked on as Caravelle before? Odd as dimensions will be the same

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looking to both the tunnel for next year. A transporter or California are £30 more each way than a Caravelle???
Anyone taken a kombi booked on as Caravelle before? Odd as dimensions will be the same
Just book it on as a high car. Don’t enter your registration on-line. Call customer services and add it later.

guys they seem to think they have changed the way the accept bookings now, you cannot book as a high car over 1.85 as a kombi because they tell me that when you get there they will charge you extra because it should have been booked as a transporter all of the vws fall into the same category now
so basically they just ripping people off now cost me £200 for the kombi as posed to £140 as a high car

Back