engines - 102PS and 150PS difference?

VinylArchie

T6 Pro
So I have been looking for a donor vehicle for a while now and I just can't find what I am looking for on budget. My budget in unrealistic lol!
Ideally I wanted a 150ps highland with tailgate but I'm wondering if I might have to plump for a 102. My question is, is there much of a difference between a 150 and a 102 with a re map? If I went for a remap I would get in done by a company like pendle. Is there much difference between the engines? As you can probably telll I'm not much of a mechanical expert so keep it simple for me. Many thanks.

One of the mapping companies has stopped upgrading the 102, rumour being turbo failures.

I have a 102 and I can make good progress and keep up with traffic.

102 is 5 speed and 150 is 6 speed.

Regards
Ian

Hi we have a 102 and a 150bhp
The 102 is tuned to 170bhp REVO
But in my option the 150bhp DSG is a better drive
The 102 is way better on fuel though, driven steady camper conversion I can get 42 mpg
Swings and round a outs but I would go for a 150 or bigger if I was buying again
Andy

My 150 kombi manual has just been in for a timing belt change/service and mot. They lent me a 102 panel van again. First thing I always notice is the 5 speed box feels nicer than the 6 speed box. I also thought the 102 felt a little smoother than the 150.....but didn't have the mid range. The fuel consumption......oh boy! Straight away I could see a huge difference! Now, I drive like a vicar on account that North Yorkshire is wall to wall speed camera vans.....and I don't fancy another speed awareness con.....sorry, I mean course. I tend to average 42 ish (always shell vpower) in mine but the 102 was pushing 60 mpg........well impressed!
Just my thoughts fwiw?

Dave:thumbsup:

Dave

would you go back to the 102
Don’t forget the newer 6.1 are 110bhp
Don’t know if there six speed though
Andy

Dave

would you go back to the 102
Don’t forget the newer 6.1 are 110bhp
Don’t know if there six speed though
Andy

No Andy.........I'd stick with the 150. I did have a T5 that started life as an 84bhp panel van but the guy I bought it from had it chipped. I don't think he ever told me what it had been chipped to but by god, it had some mid range punch! Quicker than my 150 for sure! I am wondering about having mine (2016 eu6) chipped when the extended warranty expires. I don't need it but I remember how nice my T5 5 speed was to drive. Just as an aside btw, I also noted that the electric windows in the loan vehicle felt a lot more robust than mine. My window mechanisms make a funny "twanging" sound AFTER they've been operated. I just know they're going to fail outside the warranty! :thumbsup:

First thing I always notice is the 5 speed box feels nicer than the 6 speed box.
I've got the six speed manual and I think it only really feels comfortable in 6th gear if I'm doing over 60, I think the sixth gear is a bit long but that's partially my fault for putting bigger tyres on, (3.9% bigger circumference than OE).
Given that legally I can only do over 60 on a motorway, which I rarely use, I often find myself cruising along at 55-60 in fifth, which sort of defeats the point of a six speed box!

I've got the six speed manual and I think it only really feels comfortable in 6th gear if I'm doing over 60, I think the sixth gear is a bit long but that's partially my fault for putting bigger tyres on, (3.9% bigger circumference than OE).
Given that legally I can only do over 60 on a motorway, which I rarely use, I often find myself cruising along at 55-60 in fifth, which sort of defeats the point of a six speed box!
That's interesting........I use 6th ALL the time. I spend a lot of time on the A1 and tend to stick to 60mph. Right now, I'm on 16" Claytons.........I didn't get time to fit my Devonports this year.

@mopardave
170 is great, but if I was to buy a new one I would buy a 150, which we are looking at a new 150 at the moment
the 102 in first and second seams to run out of steam pretty quickly, so you tend to nature it till in third and beyond
I think the Original van be it a 102 or 150 is a better drive, maybe wrong
But if you have a 150bhp tuned may be a different ball game with the six speed or DSG
We have a 2017 150 DSG which we’re considering converting into another camper shortly so may get it tuned to see what it’s like

I live near the A1 and it's mostly 60 limits here for all vehicles but my Kombi just feels like it's labouring a bit at 60 in sixth unless I'm going downhill. I changed the Claytons for 235/55/18 as soon as I bought it so can't recall what difference it made. The engine has plenty of power but it feels much happier at 65-70 in sixth.

Possibly more to the gallon as well
The tuned 102 is possibly doing 33 /35 to mpg at 50 but is showing 39 / 42 mpg at 70 75 mph
Bizarre

Like I said and others may back up a 150 BHP or even a 199 BHP will be better and easier to resale

Go for the 150 or 199 if possible
My vans at Vw at the moment having warranty work don’t they have give me a 102 manual it’s gutless and quite boring to drive feels very underpowered and runs out of steam very quickly on the motorway

Had a REVO stage 1 remap on my 102 5 speed today and the difference is above and beyond what I expected. Acceleration is much better (as expected), the van does feel lighter/empty (it's converted though not loaded), but it's the increased range of each gear that's best - so much smoother and more enjoyable to drive. I can now cruise over Whinlaater Pass in 4th like I could in the old 130ps T5. I suspect MPG has improved too (long term av was 38). I don't do a great deal of motorway driving, but did miss the 6th gear of the T5 when motoring through France etc. We'll see on that score, but I can tell already that it labours less in 5th.

Had a REVO stage 1 remap on my 102 5 speed today and the difference is above and beyond what I expected. Acceleration is much better (as expected), the van does feel lighter/empty (it's converted though not loaded), but it's the increased range of each gear that's best - so much smoother and more enjoyable to drive. I can now cruise over Whinlaater Pass in 4th like I could in the old 130ps T5. I suspect MPG has improved too (long term av was 38). I don't do a great deal of motorway driving, but did miss the 6th gear of the T5 when motoring through France etc. We'll see on that score, but I can tell already that it labours less in 5th.

which 102 do you have? I’m guessing it’s the euro 5 engine

OK, done a few hundred miles with the remap now. Fuel efficiency is up around 10% I reckon. Average over 2000 miles had been 38mpg and having done 550 more with it remapped it's up to 38.4mpg. Had a bike on the rear rack for most of those miles too.

Back