engineers report post conversion - extra seating

PJfamilyguy

T6 Pro
Hi there,

I'm on a FB group and the question came up about contacting the DVLA when you have added extra seating to your van, I know and am in the process of following the DVLA's instructions on how to do this. But some people where stating that you needed an engineers report to review the installation of the seating and if you don't you won't be insured. The post in question kept refering to Ireland and the DVA.

But I wanted to dot my i's and cross my t's

I've informed my insurance co, A plan, and they've not batted an eyelid and I've not heard of this engineers report before and I've done ALOT of research.

Any thoughts ?

I did this two weeks ago and got v5 back saying I now have 6 seats

All I did was change section in v5 to six seats and send photos of all the brackets and seats as fitted, I wrote on the back of the photos that these were all genuine vw parts that had been used and sent it off... no engineers certificate and got a new v5 with 6 seats amended on it

what about from an insurance perspective, a couple of people were quite insistent that one was needed otherwise you could be in trouble should you have a claim.

Last edited:
don't think there is any issue relating to DVA, insurance.

we have crewed out some work vans and the company who fit the seats supply a certificate, which is suffice, so they tell me.

I am with Aplan as well initially they said i would need an engineers report but when I told them it was all genuine vw parts and I had pictures of it all installed they said it was fine and amended policy no problem

ok I've now called A-plan insurance who have said that they don't need an engineers report, its only the DVLA who might request one.

I've wondered about this myself. What counts as an "Engineers Certificate". Most garage mechanics haven't gone to uni but understand cars / vans better than most. Do they qualify? My understanding is you can only call yourself an engineer if you have a university degree, otherwise technician would be the correct description. Would a "Technicians Certificate" count in the eyes of an insurance company, who try to wriggle out of any claim if at all possible?

In my opinion if you have fitted VW seats, used VW brackets and used the correct nuts, with encapsulated (round) washers, and have pictures to prove it, this should be deemed a proper job, certificate or not.
How on earth this works for RIB seats and the like I have no idea.

There probably isn't a firm answer on this one. It's another grey area!

Do you have to notify DVLA if you fit extra seats as opposed to just notifying insurance?

I've wondered about this myself. What counts as an "Engineers Certificate". Most garage mechanics haven't gone to uni but understand cars / vans better than most. Do they qualify? My understanding is you can only call yourself an engineer if you have a university degree, otherwise technician would be the correct description. Would a "Technicians Certificate" count in the eyes of an insurance company, who try to wriggle out of any claim if at all possible?

In my opinion if you have fitted VW seats, used VW brackets and used the correct nuts, with encapsulated (round) washers, and have pictures to prove it, this should be deemed a proper job, certificate or not.
How on earth this works for RIB seats and the like I have no idea.

There probably isn't a firm answer on this one. It's another grey area!
No degree needed, to call yourself an Engineer, but you would need Professional Indemnity Insurance to practice as one, so that in the event your advice goes "Pete Tong" there is an Insurer to call on. Now to get PI Insurance you would normally need to be Chartered or similar, which means you have to jump through lots of hoops and interviews. Most Chartered Engineers have an engineering degree but not all.
But if you are fitting a designed bracket in a designed area, and these have some sort of TUV or manufactures certification or similar then you aren't the designer, and normally just confirmation that you have fitted the correct parts in accordance with manufacturers instructions is all that is need.

Last edited:
I did this two weeks ago and got v5 back saying I now have 6 seats

All I did was change section in v5 to six seats and send photos of all the brackets and seats as fitted, I wrote on the back of the photos that these were all genuine vw parts that had been used and sent it off... no engineers certificate and got a new v5 with 6 seats amended on it
I'm just wondering whether to send off the V5 as the convertors seemed to think as mine were remove-able I didn't have to, are yours?

If you are going to be using them to carry people which is why I guess you installed them I would notify both DVLA and . It’s only a case of changing number of seats on v5 and sending it off with pictures.
It won’t make a difference to them but it will if you get stopped by police or worse have an accident. Your insurance might be void. I think it’s always better to be upfront and do it right.

Sorry to jump on post, were purchasing a transporter crew cab(currently commercial will be changing taxation class) in 2 weeks for a very good price.
Now we're wanting to add extra seats, my ex-husband is a mechanic an very capable of fitting them I'm just worrying about the v5(DVLA) as well as the insurance an what was best way of doing it to be fully lidgit
I'm wanting to add 2 extra seats and also the windows doing correctly and certified.
Just didn't want to add the seats an then try to change log book and insurance an it isn't possible.
Anyone know best way please.
Thanks

The best way? Just tell them. What are they going to do?...
I think the whole Engineer report alluded to at the start of this thread would be to cover the installation of seats in vehicles never designed to have them. As many have said, it isn't an issue informing the DVLA.
Insurance can be a lottery sometimes but I do not think it would have a significant impact on the premium and why risk being uninsured.

Back