Engine start up

T
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I am assuming that your T6 is a single turbo version. It is more likely to be the intercooler.

If you look through the grills at the front, you should see two radiators. If you look at the one closet to the grill, you maybe able to see that the fins or structure of the rad which is smaller than the one behind has failed and has essentially collapsed. If so, it is causing power to be lost and the engine to overboost, which is the whooshing noise.

It may cause the van to go in to limp mode, have an engine management light warning light or loss of power.

I drove mine round for ages and didn't notice anything until I just happened to have the window opened fully and was pulling away from traffic lights and that was when my attention was drawn to the sound. I reckon it was like that for several weeks even months.

It will probably need a new intercooler if you have the same version as mine. I have posted some pics of the faulty intercooler I changed yesterday and the fact I had to take the front bumper off. Sounds worse than it actually is.

Good luck and safe journey home and if you need more info, just DM me if you want.

View attachment 147185

View attachment 147186

View attachment 147187

View attachment 147188

View attachment 147189
Great, thanks so much for sharing the photos, and you were absolutely right…. Problem now diagnosed!! Definitely a shot intercooler, and actually sooty residue over bumper.
Picture attached.

I’ll take it steady on way home and call breakdown if the engine light comes on.

Does anyone know of possible problems of running with a split intercooler?

Hopefully if I keep turbo load low it will be ok!

That’s a job for me for next week, but so good to have identified what it is! Thanks @cy294

T

Great, thanks so much for sharing the photos, and you were absolutely right…. Problem now diagnosed!! Definitely a shot intercooler, and actually sooty residue over bumper.
Picture attached.

I’ll take it steady on way home and call breakdown if the engine light comes on.

That’s a job for me for next week, but so good to have identified what it is! Thanks @cy294
Glad that you managed to find the fault. It is a common problem apparently. As I said, I have been driving mine round for quite a while and hadn't even noticed. In fact, my EML only came on recently.

I just bought an aftermarket one and had a discount code and it just cost me £103 from Carparts4less. Which is a sister company of ECP. So if your not fussy or if the van is out of warranty, maybe worth a punt.

The job itself if you are going to DIY it is a fairly simple job. Worst part is finding all the little plastic clips and screws to take the front bumper off. But if you Google how to take a t6 bumper off, there will be loads of YouTube videos on there. I watched the Transporter HQ ones which are very detailed.

Good luck and safe journey home.

Aftermarket but if you look at the first photo you can see it’s a behr unit which is available without the VW sticker for much less
As @mmi said an intercooler is a physical device and as long as it fits and is airtight so it can hold the boost pressure it will work, when I looked there were several options available from various sources

Aftermarket but if you look at the first photo you can see it’s a behr unit which is available without the VW sticker for much less
As @mmi said an intercooler is a physical device and as long as it fits and is airtight so it can hold the boost pressure it will work, when I looked there were several options available from various sources
You have answered my next question! Cheers.
I can see lots available on various parts websites but none that I have heard of. If there is no reply difference in the job they do i will go budget.

Thanks for positing the pics, that will be a huge help at the weekend.

Glad that you managed to find the fault. It is a common problem apparently. As I said, I have been driving mine round for quite a while and hadn't even noticed. In fact, my EML only came on recently.

I just bought an aftermarket one and had a discount code and it just cost me £103 from Carparts4less. Which is a sister company of ECP. So if your not fussy or if the van is out of warranty, maybe worth a punt.

The job itself if you are going to DIY it is a fairly simple job. Worst part is finding all the little plastic clips and screws to take the front bumper off. But if you Google how to take a t6 bumper off, there will be loads of YouTube videos on there. I watched the Transporter HQ ones which are very detailed.

Good luck and safe journey home.
Made it back, after a looong 8 hour journey due to an accident on M6. The Engine management light came on for last hour, it didn’t go into limp so we kept on going… Hopefully no damage done!

I’ll get a new one ordered, that will keep me occupied next weekend.

Out of interest did the new one come with gaskets or o rings if needed? Or does it not have any gaskets or o rings? Just want to make sure I have all I need before starting.

Thanks for all the info and advice, it will make it much easier to do.

Yep, mins was the behr unit too. The replace was just an aftermarket one, with no frill.:thumbsup:

Made it back, after a looong 8 hour journey due to an accident on M6. The Engine management light came on for last hour, it didn’t go into limp so we kept on going… Hopefully no damage done!

I’ll get a new one ordered, that will keep me occupied next weekend.

Out of interest did the new one come with gaskets or o rings if needed? Or does it not have any gaskets or o rings? Just want to make sure I have all I need before starting.

Thanks for all the info and advice, it will make it much easier to do.
Good news that you made it back safely. The replacement I ordered just came with new clips which holds in he intercooler pipes as they slot into the lugs of each side. No O rings or gaskets required. Just time and patience. ;)

Original pipes connect straight into replacement unit, one pipe in one pipe out it’s that simple
You will need to remove the front plastic trim, I unplugged the front temp sensor so it could be removed totally
EML is not a problem it’s just letting you know it sensed a boost issue
Couple photos showing fixings and temp sensor

F2A87638-D186-4E5F-AE23-2A6BECE3DC23.jpeg3E408F3A-DF18-499B-80C9-123D896D35E5.jpeg6E9A5F04-FF4F-45B3-94AD-CACA283CE5F2.jpeg

I know you are back home now, but for others, if you get this and the EML is on you can always use some long nose pliers and pinch off the leaking cross tubes.

T

Picture attached.

Just did mine this am. Mahle own Behr and made in same place .. really easy job.. 2016 E5 T6

20220410_092305.jpg

20220410_092254.jpg

Screenshot_20220410-175754.jpg

Back