Engine start up

cy294

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Can anyone please help?

I've got a 140bhp Euro 5, with the engine code of CAAC. I have noticed as of late that when I go to start the engine say in the morning, it almost struggles to catch and then finally it does.

I don't have to do it multiple times, just the once. It's almost like the battery is on its minimum limits.

There are no warning lights, no glow plug warning lights and I have run through the diagnostics with carista which showed nothing.

I have also noticed a whooshing notice when in 1st or second gear moving away. I presume this could be the EGR pipe being split. But I do not smell any fumes coming in to the cab or any fault codes.

So just putting it out there for any avenues to explore and solve the issues.

Thanks all.

If it’s a euro 5 then it must be a 2015/2016 Van, still on original battery ? Maybe time for a new one, could go to a local battery place and get it tested ?

If it’s a euro 5 then it must be a 2015/2016 Van, still on original battery ? Maybe time for a new one, could go to a local battery place and get it tested ?
@Pauly it is indeed a 2016 can. I've just tested the battery and it's at 12.30 volts. That said it has been out on a run easier today. So will have to check again in the morning. Presumably, if it sits at 12 or below, am I right in assuming time for a new battery?

Would I also be right in my assumption about the EGR pipe?

Voltage is an indication but will need a load test to be sure one way or the other but personally think anything over 5 years for a battery is good

Update - issue has been diagnosed as the intercooler which has failed and requires replacing. Any ideas on part number and if the below would fit?

Screenshot_20220218_184504_com.android.chrome.jpg

How did you get from battery to intercooler?
Good question. I just couldn't work out why there was a whooshing noise on acceleration.

I checked the EGR pipes and couldn't find any split as there was no sign of black soot or fumes into the cabin.

I checked the MAF sensor and couldn't find any fault and so took it for another opinion and as we were looking, we just happened to look through at the rad and saw the damage. Resulting in an over boost and the whooshing sound.

Good question. I just couldn't work out why there was a whooshing noise on acceleration.

I checked the EGR pipes and couldn't find any split as there was no sign of black soot or fumes into the cabin.

I checked the MAF sensor and couldn't find any fault and so took it for another opinion and as we were looking, we just happened to look through at the rad and saw the damage. Resulting in an over boost and the whooshing sound.
Yes, quite common, but not related to slow starting, so 2 issues, 1 down 1 to go…

Any ideas of the above will fit or where I can a standard replacement?

Charge air cooler (CAAC engine) - VW part 7E0 145 804 B

Charge air cooler (CAAC engine) - VW part 7E0 145 804 B
So could I pick up one from a Motor Factors or somewhere like Euro Car Parts?

So could I pick up one from a Motor Factors or somewhere like Euro Car Parts?
Well, there is always risk of incompatibility when using after-market parts. I would confirm the compatibility with the seller.
E.g. the Eurocarparts part you linked earlier mentions only MY16 2.0 diesel - not specifying exactly which engine - either (CAAA/CAAB/CAAC) or (CFCA), the latter is equipped with VW part 7E0 145 804 C.

Thanks for the replies. I've ordered one of Carparts4less, which had discount code. So going to see if that works out. As don't know where else to go to.

Reactions: mmi
Well, there is always risk of incompatibility when using after-market parts. I would confirm the compatibility with the seller.
E.g. the Eurocarparts part you linked earlier mentions only MY16 2.0 diesel - not specifying exactly which engine - either (CAAA/CAAB/CAAC) or (CFCA), the latter is equipped with VW part 7E0 145 804 C.
Just picked intercooler up today. It has the attached picture / label on the side. So does this mean this is ok? I have a single turbo with an engine code of CAAC. Sorry for all the questions. TIA

IMG_20220222_171122.jpg

Just picked intercooler up today. It has the attached picture / label on the side. So does this mean this is ok? I have a single turbo with an engine code of CAAC. Sorry for all the questions. TIA
The part number is a bit confusing - why it's equivalent is labeled as 7H0... instead of 7E0... but indeed after-market parts seem to have both designations for engine CAAC (since 2010)

Anyways, the intercooler is not that critical component so if it fits (sizewise) it will be fine.

The part number is a bit confusing - why it's equivalent is labeled as 7H0... instead of 7E0... but indeed after-market parts seem to have both designations for engine CAAC (since 2010)

Anyways, the intercooler is not that critical component so if it fits (sizewise) it will be fine.
Thanks for the reply. All the part numbers confused me. You would think by putting in your reg number, it will just select the part you are looking for.

Will keep you updated.

Hi all, I am recently experiencing the same whooshing noise described on my 2016 140 euro5. We are currently away in the van so I have been frantically trying to find the issue or get VW to look at it, to no avail!

I can hear a loud rushing/whooshing noise on acceleration in any gear which I think is when turbo is under load, starting circa 2000 rpm. It dies out then until you’re into next gear. you don’t hear it when rev up to the 2500 in neutral probably as no load.

I had this on an old Suburu outback which was split turbo hose so I assumed likely the same.
But, I can’t find anything leaking. I have checked the EGR flexi as discussed on other posts, no soot and no air felt, all seems fine. Had my hand all round the back until it got too hot, couldn’t feel any air leaks from any hoses.

@cy294 how did you know it was the intercooler?

I haven’t been able to post a video but it’s hard to hear on it anyway.

We are away in Cumbria (from Dorset), returning tomorrow. Carlisle VW couldn’t see it yesterday, and Breeze in Poole can’t see it till April () so I think I’ll have to risk driving home and find a garage who can see it soon. No engine lights are on and performance seems fine!

Any thoughts on what else to look at would be appreciated?
Thanks.

Look through the top of the grill or down from the top with the bonnet open
Look for an oily stain on the cooler.

Hi all, I am recently experiencing the same whooshing noise described on my 2016 140 euro5. We are currently away in the van so I have been frantically trying to find the issue or get VW to look at it, to no avail!

I can hear a loud rushing/whooshing noise on acceleration in any gear which I think is when turbo is under load, starting circa 2000 rpm. It dies out then until you’re into next gear. you don’t hear it when rev up to the 2500 in neutral probably as no load.

I had this on an old Suburu outback which was split turbo hose so I assumed likely the same.
But, I can’t find anything leaking. I have checked the EGR flexi as discussed on other posts, no soot and no air felt, all seems fine. Had my hand all round the back until it got too hot, couldn’t feel any air leaks from any hoses.

@cy294 how did you know it was the intercooler?

I haven’t been able to post a video but it’s hard to hear on it anyway.

We are away in Cumbria (from Dorset), returning tomorrow. Carlisle VW couldn’t see it yesterday, and Breeze in Poole can’t see it till April () so I think I’ll have to risk driving home and find a garage who can see it soon. No engine lights are on and performance seems fine!

Any thoughts on what else to look at would be appreciated?
Thanks.
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I am assuming that your T6 is a single turbo version. It is more likely to be the intercooler.

If you look through the grills at the front, you should see two radiators. If you look at the one closet to the grill, you maybe able to see that the fins or structure of the rad which is smaller than the one behind has failed and has essentially collapsed. If so, it is causing power to be lost and the engine to overboost, which is the whooshing noise.

It may cause the van to go in to limp mode, have an engine management light warning light or loss of power.

I drove mine round for ages and didn't notice anything until I just happened to have the window opened fully and was pulling away from traffic lights and that was when my attention was drawn to the sound. I reckon it was like that for several weeks even months.

It will probably need a new intercooler if you have the same version as mine. I have posted some pics of the faulty intercooler I changed yesterday and the fact I had to take the front bumper off. Sounds worse than it actually is.

Good luck and safe journey home and if you need more info, just DM me if you want.

IMG_20220225_123955.jpg

IMG_20220225_124002.jpg

IMG_20220225_124003.jpg

IMG_20220225_124005.jpg

IMG_20220225_124011.jpg

Back