Engine Rattle

George_T6

VIP Member
T6 Pro
My 2017 204 dsg is in at vw again trying to find a small but annoying engine rattle.

It only rattles when under load. It does not do it when out of gear.

Engine temperature makes no difference.

It starts at 1700rpm and the rattle gets faster as the revs rise until the engine noise drowns out the rattle at 3000rpm.

So far vw have replaced aux v belt and tensioner, cambelt with all tensioners and water pump. They gave also had the bi turbos off and manifold off looking for defective parts.

It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side of the engine and sounds 'belt' to me. It's not a grinding noise, more of a light pinking or tapping noise.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Any chance of getting it on film,? On your phone?

Maybe a view of the dash clock while driving?

Or phone in engine bay?

I assume VW acknowledged the issue as they have already swapped parts under warranty?

So they've either missed the issue or miss diagnosed it.

Is it definitely engine related and not drive train?

I was first thinking balance shaft but also guessing at DMF rattle?

Have you thought about taking yo a different dealer for a fresh look at it?

Yes vw have acknowledged it and doing work under warranty.

From everything I have read about people having dmf trouble, they get noise on tick over and it goes when driving.

Mine is the opposite.

It's at vw atm so cant get a video. I'm not sure a phone would pick it up as it is a quiet rattle.

Cheers

hi, I have a 204 DSG mapped to 245 and a gearbox remap makes all the difference, smoother and quicker uptakes. Only negative is a slight cold start rattle which I’m hoping to get sorted shortly, any advice or information please let me know

hi, I have a 204 DSG mapped to 245 and a gearbox remap makes all the difference, smoother and quicker uptakes. Only negative is a slight cold start rattle which I’m hoping to get sorted shortly, any advice or information please let me know
Hi @RobDebDob. Have you tried using the search function (above, top right)? If you can't find any existing content on the subject, you might be best starting your own thread rather than tagging onto this one. :thumbsup:

Hi @RobDebDob. Have you tried using the search function (above, top right)? If you can't find any existing content on the subject, you might be best starting your own thread rather than tagging onto this one. :thumbsup:
As per @Bav’s advice, I’ve moved your post to this thread as it’s more relevant. Always worth a search or browse before asking as you’ll likely find that someone else is in the same boat! And weLocke to the forum

Reactions: Bav
Back