Engine not cranking and battery is good

Lukefx

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, I drove five miles earlier with no problems at all and then when I got back in and turned the key absolutely nothing happened.
All the lights are fine on the dash and the battery is good, but I checked with jump leads just in case and still nothing.
The starter doesn't even try and crank, it's almost as if it immobilised itself.
I read on the Cali forum something about a faulty BCM, is this something that anyone's heard of or come across before olease?

That’s quite an assumption from a fail to start, think I would start with the basics and check the battery, main earth and starter motor first

I was just searching forums while the recovery mechanic checked everything and saw that. The battery is newish, only 6 months old and is all good, earth is fine and starter seems fine although it's not been checked with a multimeter as far as I know. It's completely dead, no clicks no trying to crank or anything when you turn the key. Then the coil light flashes. But still nothing.

If the coil light is flashing then i assume there will be an error code logged that may give some clues

If the coil light is flashing then i assume there will be an error code logged that may give some clues
Yeah thanks Pauly. He only had a basic code reader and said there were no codes, so I'll have to wait until I can get someone round to check. I only have Carista but will plug that in tomorrow to see if anything comes up.
Just odd how absolutely nothing happens when you turn the key, if the starter was on the way out you'd maybe expect some sort of laboured and slow cranking or at least the solenoid clicking in, but it's just silent.
Very strange, and very annoying!

I was just searching forums while the recovery mechanic checked everything and saw that. The battery is newish, only 6 months old and is all good, earth is fine and starter seems fine although it's not been checked with a multimeter as far as I know. It's completely dead, no clicks no trying to crank or anything when you turn the key. Then the coil light flashes. But still nothing.
Just to be clear, can you confirm that the recovery chap put a jump lead from the negative battery terminal to a known metal part of the engine?

Just to be clear, can you confirm that the recovery chap put a jump lead from the negative battery terminal to a known metal part of the engine?
Actually he put his leads directly from his battery into the terminals of mine. I did say does it not need to be earthed to the block rather than the battery and he said it would still work. Before he turned up i tried jumping connected to the positive of my battery and the engine block and the connection was good and battery monitor showed full charging and still nothing.

Actually he put his leads directly from his battery into the terminals of mine. I did say does it not need to be earthed to the block rather than the battery and he said it would still work. Before he turned up i tried jumping connected to the positive of my battery and the engine block and the connection was good and battery monitor showed full charging and still nothing.
You connected a jump lead from the positive on your battery to the engine block?

You connected a jump lead from the positive on your battery to the engine block?
Whoops, didn't mean to type that! It's been a long evening! I meant the negative of course. I know you're not supposed to connect to the negative of the van battery but he seemed to think it would be ok.

Key barrel switch?

Can you get a video clip of it on your phone and post a link here?

I think DaveD was trying to suggest connecting a jump lead from the battery negative to a ground point on the engine block to see if the issue was with the earth strap on the engine.

While it's not usually a good idea to connect straight to the battery past the shunt in this case it's fine for a quick test.

I put a charger on it over night and still nothing at all.

More searching for the BCM has brought me to your post here @Dellmassive [Guide] Full Van ECU Reset (Capacitive Discharge) -- How I Done It --
Do you think that's something to try?

I got the BCM idea from a post from the Cali forum from Google here:

A post half way through states:
The BCM or Body Control Module is faulty.

The BCM receives the signal/voltage from the ignition switch which transfers to the ECU and then to the starter relay.

A faulty BCM is possible, but seems less likely if the van functions normally apart from the starter.

Far more likely is a failed component, cable or joint supplying power to the starter motor or the solenoid, or the ignition signal to the BCM.

Eliminate those before spending time and money assuming a failed BCM.

If you want to spend money then get a £35 basic Carista and get the codes read. It's a lot easier diagnosing an issue if you can see what conditions the ECUs are reporting rather than just working backwards from the physical symptom.

The BCMs are very resilient. .

id be more inclined to look at the other things first. .

there are numerous fuses and relays that are used for the start system. . .

including DSG be in park. - shows on dash?

manual in neutral. - shows on dash?

brake switch? - does green footbrake switch go out when peddle pressed?

clutch switch?

have you had a flat battery recently?

have you got a multimember? and access to a scanner?

++++++++

starter battery voltage?

use jump lead from neg battery to engine block - test main eng neg cable.

take a pic of your SC fuse box and post it here:

then compare with the fuse card:

++++++++++

I put a charger on it over night and still nothing at all.

More searching for the BCM has brought me to your post here @Dellmassive [Guide] Full Van ECU Reset (Capacitive Discharge) -- How I Done It --
Do you think that's something to try?

I got the BCM idea from a post from the Cali forum from Google here:

A post half way through states:
The BCM or Body Control Module is faulty.

The BCM receives the signal/voltage from the ignition switch which transfers to the ECU and then to the starter relay.

I can see from your posting history that you've had a ton of trouble from this van since you've bought it, parasitic battery drain, engine, etc.
Have you found a competent mechanic during all of that time, i.e. somebody you trust?
It's probably worth seeing if you can get a good auto electrician to take a look.

First thing to check is fuse 23 in your fuse box, bottom of centre console.

Next is a diagnostic scan for sure as it could be one of a number of things causing this.

Do you have a canbus immobiliser?

I can see from your posting history that you've had a ton of trouble from this van since you've bought it, parasitic battery drain, engine, etc.
Have you found a competent mechanic during all of that time, i.e. somebody you trust?
It's probably worth seeing if you can get a good auto electrician to take a look.
Yes Dave, a whole ton of issues and my missus wants to get rid but I'm invested too much and love it when it works!
The mechanic who changed the engine is very competent, I'm just waiting for him to get back to me.

I've checked fuse 23 and all good there. Put a jump lead from negative battery terminal to engine block and nothing.
Scanned with Carista and a few codes coming up, pics and a pic of the battery sensor showing good health and a video of the issue are attached.
Obviously two codes stand out, the battery regulator 02256 and low voltage 27277.

Screenshot_20240131_112341_Carista.jpg

Screenshot_20240131_112413_Carista.jpg

Screenshot_20240131_112421_Carista.jpg

Screenshot_20240131_112510_Carista.jpg

Screenshot_20240131_113529_Battery Monitor.jpg

If theres no real, related faults to the non start problem, the the chance is higher that the fault lies with something that isnt monitored by a control unit.

Pesonally, given the symptoms, i'd be checking voltages to the starter and if they are ok - removing and bench testing the starter.

Back