Engine management light on AGAIN.......

I've never had any issues..or a dealer clean.

36k 204ps dsg.

Only use cheaper tesco fuel.

Daily driver, normally 2hr drive in an 2hr drive out..... 5days a week.. then resting over the weekend. (A mix of 80% city and 20% A roads/dual carriage)

So maybe engine run time per day/session is a factor.

Short run times or short millage runs seem to clog egr, and not enable active regen to complete...

Last edited:

Mines in on Thursday for second flush (last one August 26th). Have only been using BP standard diesel. Yes I'd does do short runs for school, shopping etc. But 6 weeks!!! Still under warranty, but blanking it seems to be the way forward.

You would have thought it shouldn't open egr valve until engine up to temp.

I would say 95% of my journeys are 30 mins or more and 80% of those journeys would be done on a motorway.

The definition of a short journey is very subjective.....

As @Loz mentioned before at all related to the DPF and exhaust temperature..... as the exhaust needs to be raised to 500-1000c for the duration of the self clean burn period.....

30 to 50 minute run at sustained speed on a motorway or A-road to help clear the filter.

clear the warning light by driving for 10 minutes or so at speeds greater than 40mph

Quote below from the other post....

There are two types of regeneration: passive and active.

Passive regeneration
Passive regeneration occurs when the car is running at speed on long motorway journeys which allows the exhaust temperature to increase to a higher level and cleanly burn off the excess soot in the filter.

So it is advised that drivers regularly give their diesel vehicle a good 30 to 50 minute run at sustained speed on a motorway or A-road to help clear the filter.

However, not all drivers do this type of driving regularly – which is why manufacturers have designed an alternative form of regeneration.

Active regeneration
Active regeneration means extra fuel is injected automatically, as part of the vehicle's ECU, when a filter reaches a predetermined limit (normally about 45%) to raise the temperature of the exhaust and burn off the stored soot.

Problems can occur, however, if the journey is too short, as the regeneration process may not complete fully.

If this is the case the warning light will continue to show the filter is still partially blocked.

In which case it should be possible to complete a regeneration cycle and clear the warning light by driving for 10 minutes or so at speeds greater than 40mph.

You will know whether active regeneration is taking place by the following symptoms:

Engine note change
Cooling fans running
A slight increase in fuel consumption
Increased idle speed
Deactivation of automatic Stop/Start
A hot, acrid smell from the exhaust

I'm sure you can see the status and calculated soot amount via VCDS...

I'm sure it logged the amount of regens too...

And failed regens....

I'll have to fire up the lappy and have a look.

@mmi .. vcds location for dpf and regen status off hand?

Reactions: mmi
It’s not the DPF I’m having issues with though, it’s the EGR valve.

Ballz . . . .

So EGR flow/efficiency codes then?

what codes were stored?

Exactly what I wanted to hear and the justification to myself that over priced fuel might be a help.
I always use the cheapest fuel and never had any issues exhaust/emissions related(EGR, DPF, etc).

150ps on 91k. No egr issues yet. Almost always tesco fuel.

whats your average engine run time per day/week?

and rough millage per day/week?

it seems like the differences between van must be millage and time the engines runnng.

as an example @Dellmassive and @Tourershine use the van daily for work with either high millage (@Tourershine) per day or long duration (@Dellmassive) per day....?

maybe that has an effect on the EGR regards to clogging?

Fuel type may be a consideration, but that doesn't explain why i have had no issues and i only use the cheapest fuel possible and never use any additives.?

I always use the cheapest fuel and never had any issues exhaust/emissions related(EGR, DPF, etc).
whats your average engine run time per day/week?

and rough millage per day/week?

it seems like the differences between van must be millage and time the engines runnng.

as an example @Dellmassive and @Tourershine use the van daily for work with either high millage (@Tourershine) per day or long duration (@Dellmassive) per day....?

maybe that has an effect on the EGR regards to clogging?

Fuel type may be a consideration, but that doesn't explain why i have had no issues and i only use the cheapest fuel possible and never use any additives.?

Same here, supermarket fuel only, no additives for a year. The additives may be causing more carbon when it all burns. Good for lubrication of components but bad for smoke?

Back