Engine management light on AGAIN.......

Deaky

Life’s too short to drink shite beer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
So the damn light has come on again. Looks like the van is due it's bi annual EGR clean :mad: Only difference is this time, I have to pay for it :mad::mad::mad: I think the EGR has to go :thumbsdown:

So the damn light has come on again. Looks like the van is due it's bi annual EGR clean :mad: Only difference is this time, I have to pay for it :mad::mad::mad: I think the EGR has to go :thumbsdown:
GRR. Mine was playing silly bar stewards when I met you at Sibbertoft. The engine light and AdBlue fault popped up on the way home. Had the EGR replaced and it’s been behaving since. Fingers crossed!

How many times has yours been cleaned, and what’s the mileage?

GRR. Mine was playing silly bar stewards when I met you at Sibbertoft. The engine light and AdBlue fault popped up on the way home. Had the EGR replaced and it’s been behaving since. Fingers crossed!

How many times has yours been cleaned, and what’s the mileage?
36k miles, The EGR has been cleaned around every 9k miles. 4 times, this will be 5th in the 3 years I've owned it.

36k miles, The EGR has been cleaned around every 9k miles. 4 times, this will be 5th in the 3 years I've owned it.
I’ve got 37k on the clock. Started playing up about 30k maybe, but very infrequently. Such a poor design!

I would try to get vw to do it as an ongoing issue. To be honest. I'm getting fed up of having to take time off. 5 years of t6 ownership (caravelle and Kombi), and next week will be the 6th flush, plus 1 replacment. They know its an issue but don't seem to want to do anything about it.

Seriously thinking of doing away with it

Anyone got a pic of said valve? I'd be interested to see one :thumbsup:

Out of interest, what fuel do you regularly use? My T6 is on 90k now and in my 3 years of ownership, i've never touched my EGR valve and never had an engine light on. It would be interesting to know what the differences are between how you and I use our vans, because i've been in convoy with you and you don't drive like an old lady, plus I think we are both the same vans power and DSG wise.
Surely it cannot purely be down to the fact mine is out on the road far more than yours, there must be another factor.

Anyone got a pic of said valve? I'd be interested to see one :thumbsup:
I’ve stripped down the old one out of curiosity and it’s in my shed at the moment. I’ll dig it out at the weekend. If you can get replacement metal gaskets for where the cooler body joins the cast iron valve, it may be worth me cleaning it out.

Out of interest, what fuel do you regularly use? My T6 is on 90k now and in my 3 years of ownership, i've never touched my EGR valve and never had an engine light on. It would be interesting to know what the differences are between how you and I use our vans, because i've been in convoy with you and you don't drive like an old lady, plus I think we are both the same vans power and DSG wise.
Surely it cannot purely be down to the fact mine is out on the road far more than yours, there must be another factor.
What fuel do you use Tourershine? Any additives on top of the fuel?

Last edited:
What fuel do you use Tourershine? Any additives on top of the fuel?

Literally from 0 miles to the current 89000 miles, i've used either Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate, no additives.

The fuel debate can go on and on, but my previous Vivaro was treated exactly the same with fuels and did over 100K with no issues at all, against a glut of problems on the same model.

Hmmm BP Ultimate recommended too. Here’s me driving to random places to get Shell V. I have an alternate now :)!

I used shell on my A6 from 0-85000 miles (apart from one tank) and never had so much as an engine light or DPF light. Thing is, this van had 21k on when I got it, so it could’ve been run on anything before I got it!

I've always run my bus on premium fuels and a shot of additive, no egr issues so far and I'm at 25k.

EGR is a bit like those leaking side windows, they are all the same and yet some people have loads of trouble and others have nothing.

Since the last flush in May I’ve only used Esso or Shell fuel

Back