Engine coolant bottle empty [Resolved]

MarekS.

Hi all.
My engine coolant compartment is bone dry. My wife still thought it's ok to drive it when red thermometer was flashing at her! Can I just get the coolant and replenish myself or do I need to go to garage?
Yes, I know I need to find out where the original content had gone.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

T6 Velle DSG 204 Petrol

If it’s under warranty I’d contact VW, not sure how you’ll get on knowingly driving it with a red warning alarm though, you might need to get a creative story together.
You can’t drive it anywhere without coolant. Don’t add coolant before the engine is cold and remember to check the level as the air bleeds through.
Once added look for external leaks. If no obvious external leak run the engine and look for coolant being expelled through the exhaust, sheet of white paper held close to the exhaust may show it but be aware that a cold engine will also exhaust some condensate. If the exhaust is wet with a hot engine it is probably coolant, you’ll probably be able to smell it.
Hopefully the engine hasn’t suffered significant damage, knowing how long it was driven with a coolant alarm and what the max oil temp was might give you some piece of mind.
It’s Christmas (almost) but red flashing lights aren’t always good.
Good luck.

Thanks. Topped up with half litre of destilled water and it changed, to its almost original, pink colour. I'm glad it wasn't completely dry!
...and the warning light disappeared. I sure have a leak in the system somewhere so taking it to local trusted garage tomorrow for check up.

@DXX so there's a leak from my pump! I need a new one. I'm surprised (rather flabberghasted) that a 3 year old van with 35k on the clock develops such a fault, though!
Warranty expired in May 2020, so, obviously, VW don't want to hear about claiming against that...

@DXX so there's a leak from my pump! I need a new one. I'm surprised (rather flabberghasted) that a 3 year old van with 35k on the clock develops such a fault, though!
Warranty expired in May 2020, so, obviously, VW don't want to hear about claiming against that...
I guess that was the engine driven pump? Did you see the failed pump, just wondering if it’s related to the shrouded type pump with known reliability issues?

See issues with shrouded type pump, post 305514 (for some reason i cannot link it as a quote)

Thanks @DXX. I didn't see the pump - my local mechanic [friend of mine] advised me of that... VW dealership advised that unless it's a recall issue or fault during warranty, thry won't do any work for free.
Thanks a lot for the link to other post! I'm not a technical type, but will share with my mate.

hi can you please help me with my problem... I have T6 150hp dsg 2016 caravelle and i have problems with coolant disappearing but dont know where... My mechanic checked all the sistem and top up the coolant (run a sequence) and after 2000km my coolant light on. When I open the coolant cap there is a lot of presure (even when the engine is cold) and liquid comes back to the TOP mark.
Is the problem in cap or in expansion tank?

hi can you please help me with my problem... I have T6 150hp dsg 2016 caravelle and i have problems with coolant disappearing but dont know where... My mechanic checked all the sistem and top up the coolant (run a sequence) and after 2000km my coolant light on. When I open the coolant cap there is a lot of presure (even when the engine is cold) and liquid comes back to the TOP mark.

I have a similar problem on my '16 Caravelle. Have to keep topping up the coolant. Last time the light went on I was low but not empty so drove for a time until up to temperature and looked again and it was back up to max! Just had it in to the local garage who ran it up to temp and pressure tested with no evidence of leakage whatsoever! No other issues noted, power good, temperature steady at 90C no smoking or steaming from the exhaust. The van has done 200+K but has been religiously serviced throughout it's life. Anyone had similar problems where coolant system pressure test all OK but still losing?

Hmm - yes well it's definitely losing it somewhere - I'll see if I can get a longer test done. Thanks Niknak.

Well fresh diagnosis from alternative garage indicates head gasket given exhaust gases in coolant. Looking like a £1200 bill for budgeting. Ouch

would it be stupid to try Kseal first? Are there risks in using this stuff on newer engines? I’ve had great success with it on vintage engines.

Well fresh diagnosis from alternative garage indicates head gasket given exhaust gases in coolant. Looking like a £1200 bill for budgeting. Ouch

would it be stupid to try Kseal first? Are there risks in using this stuff on newer engines? I’ve had great success with it on vintage engines.
I doubt those vintage engines were turbo diesels? Cylinder pressure are significantly higher.

Don’t k seal that is for cars your selling

Its a Volkswagen.....im not surprised at all :think smile bounce:

Could be your EGR cooler. - this has happened to me 4 times in 5 years with transporters. Coolant just vanishes out through the exhaust

Hello today my mechanic checked EGR cooler and it has a crack on it (he checked with pressure test). I have to test it but i think this was a problem. The cooler cost me 400€.

Back