Coolant Leak [Resolved]

@Ally R would you mind adding your results to this poll, please?

I too have had this on going problem on my 17plate t6 150 for months now. Had the egr changed initially but not resolved. Diagnosed with head gasket and now waiting for it to be fixed. Must be a design fault for so many people having this problem in young vehicles!

I too have had this on going problem on my 17plate t6 150 for months now. Had the egr changed initially but not resolved. Diagnosed with head gasket and now waiting for it to be fixed. Must be a design fault for so many people having this problem in young vehicles!
What the spec and history on your van?..... For future reference.

Anyone have any pictures of the egr pipes that had corrosion? I've got a leak on my 2018 that I can't find

I have the same issue with my 18 plate T6 150. Bought the van in June from VW Carrs and the coolant light came on the very next day. I spoke to them and they told me to bring it back in so they could pressure test it. They did the test, no faults, topped it up and sent me on my way. However it was going back in a week or so later to have the timing belt and pump changed as part of the sales agreement. A couple of weeks later the light came on again so I topped it up with 700ml and spoke to the garage again. They said bring it back in, in 2 weeks time (when they could fit me in).

I started marking the coolant reservoir with a line and the date and funnily enough the level dropped to Min within that 2 week period.

The Van went in yesterday and I've just spoken to the service guy and he said they pressure tested it overnight, checked for external leaks and checked the ERG pipe and couldn't fault it. They're saying it's an airlock caused by the timing belt/water pump change previous. I'm thinking the van will be going back in again.....

Sorry to add to this one, but it looks like I'm starting to get some of the same issues... Mine is a T6 67 Plate 150HP. I had a cambelt service done last summer and have done 7k miles since, I got in one day and the low coolant light was on, and there was only just a tiny bit in the pot, like just visible. I topped it up to the middle line and since then I've done around 2k miles, and topped it up a few hundred ML at a time. It's definitely using it, but very very slowly.

My mate runs a garage and is a VW guy, he said he's seen all sorts with these, and VW's in general, first suspicion for the bulk coolant loss was that even with vacuum bleed he's seen some sudden drops where an air lock moves, but also he pressure tested the Intercooler, and it's fine, but suspects the EGR cooler could be just starting to leak. Interestingly he thinks it leaks only when it's cold, as they have seen some that when sat for periods of time (like mine does, sometimes for as much as a week) they use coolant, but then when warm the coolers seal up as the internals expand and they don't leak.

Anyway, new EGR cooler is something like £600+Vat and Labour, his recommendation was to plan to replace it, to avoid serious engine issue but to monitor it for the next few long trips and see how much it uses. Reminder, as I said in the beginning, it's genuinely currently loosing no more than 250ml every 500-1000 miles I would say.

Has anyone else experienced the gradual failure of the EGR in this way? or are most people just finding the van goes from nothing to drinking coolant in almost no time?

Update on my van....

So the van was still drinking coolant like there's no tomorrow. They said bring the van back in for a whole week to investigate. Just got off the phone to the service guy and he said they cannot find a fault!! He said the next step is to put some sort of dye in the reservoir and then I have to drive it for 6 weeks and bring it back again..... By then I would've put at least another litre maybe more in and surely flushed the dye out? I'm an air engineering mechanic and I work on helicopters and even I know that it would not take 6 weeks to rotate the fluid through the system..... The problem is this is all being done under warranty so it kind of feels I'm getting pushed to the back burner.. They could drive it for an hour around the local area then look for hairline cracks? I could be wrong!

I also told the service guy that I'm fed up topping up with coolant as it's all adding up now, ok it's only £7 a litre but I'm on my 4th bottle now! He's going to speak to the service manager and hopefully get me some coolant during this 6 week phase..

Here are my top up rates

30/7 - 12/8 - 300ml
17/8 - 400ml
25/8 - 600ml
2/9 - 500ml

I will keep you informed.

@Phill748 did you get your leak sorted?

@Loz - would it be worth starting a fresh thread for this?

Last edited:
Update on the van 2

So, I picked the van up on Monday and was told they've put the dye in the coolant which they have as it's orange/yellow in colour. They've told me to drive it for a month then bring it back for another round of inspections. They also fixed the leak in the passenger footwell which was coming from the roof rails...

I noticed yesterday that my air con fan now only works on the 4th setting and it was fine during our holiday to France and when I dropped it off to the garage last Monday. I did a quick search and found it could be the heater resistor pack which funnily enough is in the passenger footwell. I've emailed the garage to see what they say.. I'm sure they'll blame the roof rail leak, but it is under extended warranty so hopefully they'll rectify that whilst it's in for the coolant issue.

To be honest I'm not loving the whole T6 experience as yet... I didn't expect to spend 34k and face all these issues..

I'll post after the next round of inspections which begins on the 8th Oct.

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Update on the van 2

So, I picked the van up on Monday and was told they've put the dye in the coolant which they have as it's orange/yellow in colour. They've told me to drive it for a month then bring it back for another round of inspections. They also fixed the leak in the passenger footwell which was coming from the roof rails...

I noticed yesterday that my air con fan now only works on the 4th setting and it was fine during our holiday to France and when I dropped it off to the garage last Monday. I did a quick search and found it could be the heater resistor pack which funnily enough is in the passenger footwell. I've emailed the garage to see what they say.. I'm sure they'll blame the roof rail leak, but it is under extended warranty so hopefully they'll rectify that whilst it's in for the coolant issue.

To be honest I'm not loving the whole T6 experience as yet... I didn't expect to spend 34k and face all these issues..

I'll post after the next round of inspections which begins on the 8th Oct.
Just signed up to the forum. Keep me posted Smudge. Just ordered dye too.
I've had coolant loss since March; after Timing Belt & Water Pump change.

The past month, I've been having to top up coolant every 300-400 Miles.

Just signed up to the forum. Keep me posted Smudge. Just ordered dye too.
I've had coolant loss since March; after Timing Belt & Water Pump change.

The past month, I've been having to top up coolant every 300-400 Miles.
Yes I will do. Funnily enough since they put the dye in the level hasn’t dropped much?? But the air con fan 1,2 & 3 hasn’t worked since I picked the van up. Number 4 blows your head off! I know it’s the heater resistor that’s gone but the garage are going to add that to the list of jobs!!

Further to the above they replaced the resistor pack and blower motor to fix the 1,2,3 fan issue too. The fan now works but no air comes out of the central, footwell or window vents, only left and right ugh.... Trying to contact them today to get the van back in. Also found a loose bolt in the window drain tray which doesn't fill me with confidence..

Update- confirmed cracked cylinder head. I have had van from new and it has never overheated and never been overloaded.

Interestingly I have been told the new head from vw is a slightly “updated” design.

Van has less than 50k on clock. Is 66 plate so out of warranty tho.
Hi, just reading your post as i think I had the same problem with the coolant disappearing every day, more when the heating is on, I wanted to know if you dont mind, what was the cost of this repair?
I'm debating weather to purchase an extended all parts warranty or just pay for this repair in 1 hit

I've now got the same issue. Oct 2016 T28. I bought in 2019 and has lost coolant very slightly since then.
Also had an intermittant EML light that was fixed by changing the coked up EGR valve, glo plugs and inlet manifold.
Local VW (JCT600) Centre now saying that coolant loss is a cylinder head issue. Worst case replace head c£4000 (I could get a recon engine for less).
This would all add up; water into combustion across head, into exhaust recirculation and results in coked up EGR components.
I'm challenging this as a known issue to VW and asking head change as goodwill extended warranty fix.
Does anybody have any info on head serial numbers/part numbers on the original 2016 new engine that could support my claim?

Have you got your bare EGR valve replaced?
Was the actual EGR cooler replaced as well?

Reactions: mmi
I have replaced my EGR cooler only but in order to get it completed I had to take the EGR valve out as well.
Not so bad job but it is time consuming and that bottom bolt is a nightmare.

View attachment 176810View attachment 176813
View attachment 176815
View attachment 176814

I was always wondering how to actually prove that EGR cooler is in deed faulty.
So I came up with this simple test.

I am happy to report that since I have replaced my EGR cooler in October last year I haven't lost any coolant at all(not a drop).:)

Reactions: mmi
Update #3

So I got the van back today. They said they found dye in the EGR cooler so they've changed it. Let's see how the van fairs over the next few weeks.
How has the Coolant Loss been since the new EGR Cooler was fitted, has it stopped it? I'm having the same issues at the moment....

Looking for a bit of advice as have mystery coolant leak.

66Plate T6 SWB Shuttle 150 manual

At approx 48700miles low coolant alarm went, topped up and drove home as no obvious leak.

Was due timing belt (on basis of age) and water pump anyway so got this done at 48879. Garage couldn’t find a leak.

Coolant dropped again so back into garage at 49470miles. Air Charge Cooler replaced as garage found this was cause and failed pressure test (egr also pressure tested but ok). This was an expensive job as new cooler design needing new fitting kit as per other threads.

Then at 49750 miles get another low coolant alarm needing to top up Arghhhh

Can’t see any obvious leaks. Small amount of mayo around filler cap (I’m told this is common) oil on dip looks ok.

Any thoughts? Could this be air just working it’s way out?? Temp been fine throughout. Im obviously worried about EGR cooler or head gasket.

It is very frustrating as its our only vehicle and feel we can no longer rely on it.
Thanks in advance.

View attachment 146523
Hi Ally, just had my EGR cooler replaced after having the problem for 2 years without a proper diagnosis by non VW garages. VW then did diagnostics for 24hrs and discovered it was the EGR cooler. Took 14 hrs first off to replace. VW seemed to semi admit it was a known problem so split half the cost as my 66 plate is well out of warranty. Returned my van after 5 days due to parts shortage.
Then had a sudden loss of coolant after the replacement and it transpired after another 10hrs effort that pipes linked further back to the EGR cooler had ruptured due to corrosion.
I now have the van back and it’s working perfectly.
Just another example but hope that helps. M

Back