EML Warranty saga

rt22

Anyone with warranty experience from a legal standpoint here who may know whether I have any options here?

The EML on my 2017 T6 kombi van keeps coming on. Its a warranty issue and Breeze in Southampton have been trying to fix it under warranty but so far have been unable to - they replace a part and reset the EML, but it keeps coming back on. My question is whether I have any recourse for escalating this given the history below and Breeze's inability to fix it. I've already been in touch with VW customer care but they don't seem to do a lot - just revert to the dealership.

• Breeze conducted a full service to the vehicle 11th May 2020
  • EML light came on 6th July 2020 and contacted Breeze and VW immediately
  • Breeze investigated the issue between 14th to 17th July 2020 – action taken: decoked engine
  • Light came back on after long motorway journey 24th July 2020
  • Breeze investigated the issue between 1st September to 11th October 2020 – action taken: replaced DPF
  • Light came back on after local journey (1 hr) 21st October
  • Breeze investigated between 30th November 2020 to 15 February 2021 – action taken: EGR valve, SDR cap, associated gaskets and sensors
  • Light came back on 10th April 2021
  • Breeze investigated the issue between 20 April to 19 May 2021 – action taken: replaced air mass meter
  • Light came back on 24th May 2021 after long motorway journey
  • Breeze investigated between 4th to 25th June 2021 – replaced No.4 sensor on the DPF (the DPF that was replaced in October 2020)
  • Light came back on after long motorway journey 16th August 2021

That's brilliant . . . You have had all that stuff done for free/warranty.

I wouldn't worry, just keep taking it back to them untill the warranty runs out.

All modern diesels will choke up if not driven for decent journey times.

And the EML light on its own is normally just emmisions related...... So nothing major to worry about.

On the plus side that van will hold good money with all that new kit on it.

The rest of us will have to pay heavily after the warranty has run out as all our vans will need all that kit at some point.... When will just depend on driving style.

Fyi . . .

You could also just take the van to a different main dealer to get a different set of mechanics on it.

You might get a better result....

Though I would be happier with loads of new bits being fitted .... =)

Out of interest... What's your driving style.

Just a few short trips.?

Daily driver.?

Long drives every day?

I'm assuming it's just short trips .... Which will end up with a clogged DPF, EGR etc etc....

X
Out of interest... What's your driving style.

Just a few short trips.?

Daily driver.?

Long drives every day?

I'm assuming it's just short trips .... Which will end up with a clogged DPF, EGR etc etc....
It only really gets used at weekends and then the journeys are at least an hour on the motorway. I don’t commute in it or go to the shops. The times when the EML light usually comes on is after a long journey 2-3 hours on the motorway. Usually a few days afterwards. I’m not heavy footed but keep at about 75-80 on the motorway.

There are some brilliant fault finding / diagnosing members on the forum - could someone local with VCDS scan the van (I'm a poet and didn't know it!) and post up the findings for a 'group' assessment?

X

It only really gets used at weekends and then the journeys are at least an hour on the motorway. I don’t commute in it or go to the shops. The times when the EML light usually comes on is after a long journey 2-3 hours on the motorway. Usually a few days afterwards. I’m not heavy footed but keep at about 75-80 on the motorway.
Your driving sounds perfect for burning off the soot deposits in the DPF, long periods of decent speed / engine load, though some people say that this type of use doesn't help with the EGR valve.
You might have read this thread already:

Back