EHU tripping house electrics.

I can’t believe a converter would be that ‘kin stoopid. Take it back and kick them up the arse.
Ah. I'm not surprised really. I've found other dodgy shortcuts. But live too far away now so going back to kick off isn't an option.

So if I just purchase a new one from the links posted, I should just be able to rewire it myself. The wire should be fine, right? Just the socket that's probably faulty due to water ingress? So could do that myself for less than £20.

Or is it better to pay someone local to install a new connector under the bonnet? Or would to retrofit one now be a lot of work?

Ah. I'm not surprised really. I've found other dodgy shortcuts. But live too far away now so going back to kick off isn't an option.

So if I just purchase a new one from the links posted, I should just be able to rewire it myself. The wire should be fine, right? Just the socket that's probably faulty due to water ingress? So could do that myself for less than £20.

Or is it better to pay someone local to install a new connector under the bonnet? Or would to retrofit one now be a lot of work?
Moving the EHU forward under the bonnet would be the best solution, all depends on how much fixed furniture you have and the cable routing. As it’s mains voltage it should be kept as short as possible, protected with conduit and grommets and away from anything that could damage it like excessive heat.

Bearing in mind that you don't know what crossed live/neutral means are you really best placed to be doing this sort of thing? I mean, it could kill you or someone else if you get it wrong.
Find someone competent to do it for you please, for your own sake.

Always worth carrying in the van as you never know how safe a campsites EHUs are.

I have had some sites whilst in Europe with crossed supply
Specifically designed mobile distribution panels like the sergent should protect against crossed supply
The problems may come from some DIY EHU installations where standard household mcb’s and rcd’s are used as opposed to 1ph+n.

The problems may come from some DIY EHU installations where standard household mcb’s and rcd’s are used as opposed to 1ph+n.
Are they marked up to show they are 1PH+N or would they have another marking?

Could be DPST (double pole). So both live and neutral are wired through the RCD and MCB. If you have a common neutral with Single pole RCD/MCB and the incoming supply is reversed then the live has no protection

Back