RCBO tripping

Matt-T68

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Morning all

Completed the 240v in the van. Now it's doing my head in. RCBO fitted. Plug in and all tests fine. 240 at sockets. As soon as I plug anything in it trips. Tested all wiring. No shorts whatsoever. I'm wondering if it's the connection blocks I've used. I have used them before with no issues. Any ideas
1000006833.jpg

Is the live and neutral, blue and brown not wired up the wrong way round on that socket?

Also how is the other one wired inside that black housing.?

Screenshot_20240101_114743_Chrome.jpg

Maybe post a few pics of the CU as well.

The Rcbo will trip if there is an imbalance of power in live/neutral. Or a over current event.

Got a side and front pic of that socket?

Maybe post a few pics of the CU as well.

The Rcbo will trip if there is an imbalance of power in live/neutral. Or a over current event.
1000006836.jpg
Used the connectors for Neutral and Earth. Would this cause the imbalance? Is there a better option bearing in mind the cramped box?

View attachment 224050
Used the connectors for Neutral and Earth. Would this cause the imbalance? Is there a better option bearing in mind the cramped box?
The PE earth needs to be separated from the neutrals.

You need L & N to go IN and OUT the RCBO.

The PE earth stays separate.

So the van chassis is eartherd to PE when connected to the external EHU.

Screenshot_20240101_120123_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240101_120312_Chrome.jpg

So effectively I have to wire a Neutral and and Earth from the incoming EHU cable to the Neutral Out terminal on the RCBO?

No the PE earth stays separate

EHU N to rcbo N IN....then rcbo N out to sockets.

EHU L to rcbo L IN....then rcbo L out to sockets.

EHU E to E van busbar, E bond with chassis and E to sockets.

Hi Matt, make sure you get the system tested, pushing the button on an RCD/RCBO/RRRC etc only introduces a simulated fault and isn't a proper test. You will need something like a Megger MFT (Multi Function Tester) in order to test them.
Any decent electrician will have one and should understand how to run a test correctly. (it's a five-minute job but it's a good idea to have it tested).

Hope this helps a little. :)

Back