EGR Delete

I have a 204, 2016, 125k miles.
The dpf became clogged, and I had it cleaned. That didn`t work, and I had the same issue around a 1000 miles later.
I then had the dpf opened up and the inside removed, reweled & refitted. Both turbos rebuilt, egr blanked and coded out & the same for the adblue.
Its just passed an mot, with no issues.
It does, however, have a slightly different exhaust note, which they tell me is the pressure difference, now the dpf is not there.
The DPF does quite a bit of silencing of the exhaust, so I can imagine it being louder without it.

The dpf became clogged, and I had it cleaned. That didn`t work, and I had the same issue around a 1000 miles later.
I then had the dpf opened up and the inside removed, reweled & refitted. Both turbos rebuilt, egr blanked and coded out & the same for the adblue.
It does, however, have a slightly different exhaust note, which they tell me is the pressure difference, now the dpf is not there.
What is the smoke/soot situation out of the exhaust like?

Do you mind saying who rebuilt your turbos? I’m sure mine is a bit rattly and I don’t want to wait for a catastrophic failure that costs well north of £5k

What is the smoke/soot situation out of the exhaust like?
Its ok. There is a small puff on start up, like an older vehicle. Its also noticeable at night, when you have a cars lights behind you, and you put in under load.
Just like an older vehicle.
Under normal driving, no noticeable difference.

Do you mind saying who rebuilt your turbos? I’m sure mine is a bit rattly and I don’t want to wait for a catastrophic failure that costs well north of £5k
I had them rebuilt by Turbo Repairs Uk, in Waltham Abbey, which is not far from me.
The guy is a one man band, and is very clued up. The only downside was, I did have to wait a while, but to be fair, he squeezed them in around other jobs, which was good of him.

I had them rebuilt by Turbo Repairs Uk, in Waltham Abbey, which is not far from me.
The guy is a one man band, and is very clued up. The only downside was, I did have to wait a while, but to be fair, he squeezed them in around other jobs, which was good of him.
Thanks for the info.

Can you just blank off either side of the egr valve/cooler? Some kits say turbo and egr at the back? Turbo is a pain to get to

Fitted the Tafmet Emulator today, all working fine.
Installation was a right PITA because the shims and gaskets supplied by Tafmet are quite thick, probably about 2.5mm or 3mm thick together.
This made it almost impossible to get the blank in on the harder valve side without removing the pipe entirely. Lost bolts, lots of swearing and an assortment of T30 tools.
Finally 'adjusted' the pipe at the bellows with a pair of swan neck pump pliers to make it shorter and got it done. The thin shims from eBay with slotted bolt holes would have been a lot easier IMHO. (I'm retired now but was a licensed aircraft engineer so am pretty handy with a spanner and hidden bolts) So this gets an 8/10 on the forum difficulty scale. Will spend a little time disguising the box and extra loom with some loom tape and VW style loom conduit.
Tafmet order direct on the website was painless £148 delivered using UPS.

Could you not grind out a bit like the easy fit ones?

It should be a fail. Maybe they welded the dpf back up so it wasn't visible once fitted. If it looks tampered with then it would be a fail. Evidence that it was opened to clean it, then it would be passed

If it were to give out any smoke during emissions testing, then would again be a fail. Smoke wise you may get away with as like most diesels these days, they won't fully rev up.

DVSA don't take too kindly to emission related issues. There just seems too much at stake for the garages involved. Like @Dellmassive points out above, the vehicle is illegal and for off road use only.

It should be a fail. Maybe they welded the dpf back up so it wasn't visible once fitted. If it looks tampered with then it would be a fail. Evidence that it was opened to clean it, then it would be passed

If it were to give out any smoke during emissions testing, then would again be a fail. Smoke wise you may get away with as like most diesels these days, they won't fully rev up.

DVSA don't take too kindly to emission related issues. There just seems too much at stake for the garages involved. Like @Dellmassive points out above, the vehicle is illegal and for off road use only.
Ok will stick to off road use.....

So I’ve had my T6 into a well known VAG Tuners in Glasgow for some diagnostic testing on why I was intermittently having the glow plug light up and flashing. The issue appears to be the EGR valve needs either replacing with associated pipes cleaned out too or to have the EGR deleted and coded out. What they are saying though is they can’t guarantee that there won’t be emissions issues in the future, they say they have done others without comeback but they have to say that as up front info. Has anyone had emission issues following their EGR being blanked and coded out? I have a 204ps Shuttle 65 plate T6 with 49k miles with FVWSH.

So I’ve had my T6 into a well known VAG Tuners in Glasgow for some diagnostic testing on why I was intermittently having the glow plug light up and flashing. The issue appears to be the EGR valve needs either replacing with associated pipes cleaned out too or to have the EGR deleted and coded out. What they are saying though is they can’t guarantee that there won’t be emissions issues in the future, they say they have done others without comeback but they have to say that as up front info. Has anyone had emission issues following their EGR being blanked and coded out? I have a 204ps Shuttle 65 plate T6 with 49k miles with FVWSH.
If you have the engine susceptible to EGR corrosion but have not yet suffered from high oil consumption then blanking the EGR will hopefully prevent any future issue needing very expensive engine overhauls or replacements. This does leave you with a non complaint engine with regard to the MOT test but hopefully an ordinary test station is not going to notice for care too much. It's not an obvious change on the outside especially if you get it mapped rather than using the Tafmet emulator.
The garage will always tell you its your risk if you defeat the emissions systems.

If you have the engine susceptible to EGR corrosion but have not yet suffered from high oil consumption then blanking the EGR will hopefully prevent any future issue needing very expensive engine overhauls or replacements. This does leave you with a non complaint engine with regard to the MOT test but hopefully an ordinary test station is not going to notice for care too much. It's not an obvious change on the outside especially if you get it mapped rather than using the Tafmet emulator.
The garage will always tell you its your risk if you defeat the emissions systems.
I read that the T6 EGRs in the CXEB engines were stainless steel as opposed to aluminium, which were in the T5s. So weren’t susceptible to the engine failure from EGR corrosion. Is that not the case?

I read that the T6 EGRs in the CXEB engines were stainless steel as opposed to aluminium, which were in the T5s. So weren’t susceptible to the engine failure from EGR corrosion. Is that not the case?
I wouldn't know, I have the other engine so didn't do any research on the other types. I did say 'If you have the engine susceptible'.

Please bear with me on this, I know it looks a bit long-winded, but I think it’s worth having a bit of background detail….

My van is the EU6 102 engine with adblue.

Sometime in June the dreaded flashing coil light made an appearance one afternoon when I’d just started the van and I was leaving work! During that journey to drop something off the van was running on limited power. When I restarted the van, the fault had disappeared and all was back to normal for my journey home…. and to be fair, I’ve had no faults since, but after reading the endless nightmare stories on this forum + previous personal experience with a blocked/failed EGR valve, this got me worried that it might be EGR problems?

I contacted @Dav-Tec (Chris) who by now had done a number of very successful jobs/upgrade’s on my van to see if he could work his magic with a possible EGR delete? Unbeknown to me, @Texxaco (Pete) had been having similar issues with his stunner of a T6 and had already had the @Dav-Tec treatment in the way of a EGR and ADBLUE ‘solution’!

At the T6Forum summer camp meet in July, Chris kindly scanned my van and found that the fault was actually with the adblue system and not the devil’s work EGR as I’d suspected…. either way, I wanted the EGR sorting! So I got booked in with Chris to have a custom remap which would include the same EGR and adblue ‘solution’ as Pete’s van.

On the day of the remap, Chris did a scan as he always does prior to any work…. goes through any fault codes with me and when looking back at previous scan’s, Chris discovered that this adblue fault had history and was showing up on most of the previous scan’s. I told Chris as well that I’d very recently noticed the smell of diesel fumes on startup…. not necessarily in the cab, just in general around the van and when we went out on the first data logging run it was clear that something wasn’t quite right?

When we got back to Dav-Tec HQ, Chris found that the rear EGR pipe was split and exhaust gases were p#ssing out into the engine bay and this was causing the boost pressure problem. No problem for Chris, he removed the split pipe, fabricated a couple of ‘delete’ plates from some sheet steel, refitted the lot and we went out on another data logging run. Much better (near perfect) results meant that a new custom map could be written to include the EGR ‘solution’ and away I went.

I’ve been driving around with the new map now for a week…. to and from work and the usual runs and roads so that I could get a comparison with what I had before (which by the way was a generic Pendle map installed by Leighton Vans). Don’t get me wrong, I had no complaints or issues with the previous map…. I’d had it on there for over two years, but because of the running issues, I needed a ‘solution’ and Chris’s custom remap ticked all my boxes.

I couldn’t be happier with the results of the custom map supplied by Chris…. the engine runs free and smooth even from a cold start up and pulls progressively, purposely and smoothly throughout.

I want to thank Chris for going above and beyond as he always does…. and also his very patient wife Tracy for putting up with me on that Saturday!

Cheers, Matt :thumbsup:

Just wanted to give a quick update on this previous post….

Recently I took my van for a service and MOT (this being it’s first MOT since the above EGR and ADBLUE ‘solution’) and I’m happy to say it sailed through the MOT with no advisories at all…. just a nice compliment on my van from the MOT inspector.

I’m so happy with the work that Chris carried out with this remap…. my van is running the strongest and best it ever has…. and another massive plus is that the MPG is definitely much improved! Not that I have any scientific calculations or figures for you, but just to say that my ‘miles per tank’ are always very close to 500 miles per tank now where as before it was always nearer to the 400 miles.

View attachment 201721

Mine has passed its MoT no problem since it forgot it had an egr. Regens are pretty much the same. 170 miles urban 250 on a run. Stops me worrying about buying a new engine.

Back