EGR cleaned but still having issues.

After a flush
That’s poor. It’s not practical due to the labour but it’d be interesting to see inside the cooler after a flush to see how effective it is.

Out of sheer morbid curiosity, I used a chemical cleaner on the old EGR pipe and it got it back to shiny metal again. Was going to clean out the old cooler aswell.

Last edited:
If it wasn't under warranty, I would strip it out and have a look.

Was it easy to do? Possible to do on the driveway?
I cheated and got @BognorMotors to do it. I guess it’d be possible on the drive. The front needs to come off into the service position and the coolant needs drained. The VW service doc recommends depressurising the fuel system also. There’s a guide on here somewhere. Weirdly just replaced the EGR on the wife’s A4 today, and I did that one on the drive!

720D73A3-B2A0-450D-9B8D-5713244E9E65.jpeg

@Handyman I’ve been down this road with VWCV and the customer care side and it was a waste of time. They say it’s down to the dealer, but the dealer says the opposite. One blames the other and the only looser is the customer. Local dealer probably gets a pat on the back from VW for keeping warranty costs down to a bare minimum. I’ve used only premium fuel for the last 35k, and it has made no difference to my EGR problems.
same

Hi everyone, so VW have now investigated and confirmed that they need to do a EGR flush and will pay half the labour and for parts. My bill is £140 So far. However, they consequently rang me to say the flush concluded that the EGR valve needs replacing but won’t pay for this!!!!
I argued that this should be covered as I have had diesel filter issues for months, a flush already whilst under warranty And yet I still have these issues.
Any advice appreciated as I dont want to give these any more of my money. It’s not like the vehicles are cheap to start with!! FUMING!
Did you get this resolved. Did you have to pay for the new valve and what did it cost in the end?

Hi yes your right it’s a waste of time I’ve just posted that sheffield van center is owned by JCT600
So they use it as a cash cow
But VW ASSISTANCE has said try VW LEEDS it’s owned buy 1 guy so he’s more customers friendly he wants you to be happy and come back so 3 times I’ve been too sheffield and I’m still not happy they won’t even replace rear shocks leaking at only 19.000 miles from new .??
So this is 3rd time tomorrow vans been in and in 17 months it’s had new battery 2 knackered rear shocks 3 egr jobs
And VW UK ARE ARSEHOLES they don’t give a toss
They have your hard earn cash and ignore there warranty obligations
I will never buy VW AGAIN I’ve saved for years for this van and I’m pissed off
So by end of this year it will be sold I guess
Been disabled I can’t have a shit motor failure every few months
Thanks for reply I’m very interested in hearing how many folk have T6s
That are as shit as mine
All the best keep in touch thanks Royboy xx
Yep, That's my experience of VW(UK) also.:thumbsdown:; albeit many moons ago.

mine has been into VW several times over the last 18mnth, sometimes for weeks at a time!

this week it's back in for the same issue. However before I put into VW, I got RAC to look at it as the EML issue was annoying, 2 mins under the bonnet at the guy says the EGR link pipe is split which is causing the EML light to come on as it's reducing flow. His words were " why VW mechanics never noticed that I've no idea" it's weird as I've always heard the pluffing of air, but I'm now mechanic.... saying that, maybe I'll get a job as a VW tech!!

After I showed VW the photo they claim It must have just happened, anyway, that's been replaced now. They now say I'm losing coolant, at a rate i should be topping a litre every couple days as the pressure test is below the recommended BarG. Although I've never topped it up, and no warning lights... Oh and it's just been serviced by them..

mine has been into VW several times over the last 18mnth, sometimes for weeks at a time!

this week it's back in for the same issue. However before I put into VW, I got RAC to look at it as the EML issue was annoying, 2 mins under the bonnet at the guy says the EGR link pipe is split which is causing the EML light to come on as it's reducing flow. His words were " why VW mechanics never noticed that I've no idea" it's weird as I've always heard the pluffing of air, but I'm now mechanic.... saying that, maybe I'll get a job as a VW tech!!

After I showed VW the photo they claim It must have just happened, anyway, that's been replaced now. They now say I'm losing coolant, at a rate i should be topping a litre every couple days as the pressure test is below the recommended BarG. Although I've never topped it up, and no warning lights... Oh and it's just been serviced by them..

Interesting. I posed the same question back in June as that was my theory:

My other thought is that this causes a boost leak, which means it runs rich, which will create more soot and more regular regens.

Also, the EGR reduces combustion temperatures which in turn reduces NOx (same pollutant as Adblue reduces), so a poor EGR means the AdBlue has to work harder. My EGR leak used to sometimes manifest itself as an AdBlue fault as the NOx was out of tolerance.

They all seem to be related. :whistle:

Losing coolant is never a good thing. I wouldn’t be topping that up without finding out where it is disappearing to.

yes they've said i should be topping the fluid up regular, but it's never showed as low or any warning lights.

Well got my bus back yesterday. Another egr flush, last one was 26th August. Less than 1500 miles and the light came back on after 7 weeks.

Also they discovered an oil leak from drive shaft seal and some of the trims underneath were smashed (wife likes splashing in the big puddles).

Let's see how long it lasts this time.

Wow that just nonsense ,they either did a piss poor job in the first place or you should have a new egr fitted .its now £300 for a flush imagine if you were paying that every 1500 miles .
Has anyone used carbon clean for this ?they claim to be able to clean the egr as part of a 3 stage flush .

Mine is still in, can’t flush EGR again as was flushed less than 4wk ago. They’ve replaced the split link pipe, still no word on EGR replacement though. Now they’ve advised they are still discussing with vw technical as to the coolent loss issue...

Is there any way you can self clean. An additive or whatever. My dealer told me a i needed a flush when they looked at the fault codes. When I queried it they checked again and said no it was fine but now i'm paranoid.

I may have a skiing trip to Switzerland next week in it and if I can flush it myself then I will.

Dont think so ,you could try an additive but I dont think the VW flush is that good so I doubt a bolt of Forte will clear it

Got my van back today, EGR link pipe (which was split) has been replaced, EGR cooler replaced, no mention to whether the valve had been replaced or cleaned. Running alot better anyway.

Got my van back today, EGR link pipe (which was split) has been replaced, EGR cooler replaced, no mention to whether the valve had been replaced or cleaned. Running alot better anyway.
That’s good news. What’s the age/engine in yours? Was this a warranty repair?

Back