EGR cleaned but still having issues.

@DXX I’m aware of this, I pointed it out to make the same point that whatever fuel is used, if there is an inherent fault then it will still occur. My van would throw an EGR fault on unicorn blood :rofl:

IMO, If expensive branded Diesel was the solution to better combustion and reduced pollution governments would have implemented this simple change and made the ‘better’ fuel mandatory. What a simple way to help meet emission reduction targets.
In the UK and the rest of Europe Diesel has to meet EN590 which primarily controls sulphur content.
It’s personal choice if you want to buy from ASDA or BP but it’s about as relevant as choosing a laundry liquid.
IMO, If expensive branded Diesel was the solution to better combustion and reduced pollution governments would have implemented this simple change and made the ‘better’ fuel mandatory. What a simple way to help meet emission reduction targets.
In the UK and the rest of Europe Diesel has to meet EN590 which primarily controls sulphur content.
It’s personal choice if you want to buy from ASDA or BP but it’s about as relevant as choosing a laundry liquid.
The fuel additive that I use is not about reducing pollution per say, but aids with a cleaner combustion which reduces the amount of hard carbon deposits that clog up the EGR / Cooler. This is achieved by reducing the combustion temperatures of the gases that are recirculated within the combustion process.

The fuel additive that I use is not about reducing pollution per say, but aids with a cleaner combustion which reduces the amount of hard carbon deposits that clog up the EGR / Cooler. This is achieved by reducing the combustion temperatures of the gases that are recirculated within the combustion process.
How does it reduce the temperature of the exhaust gases? This would need to take place between the exhaust valve and the EGR valve to be efficient.

When I spoke to the technical team at Powerenhancer, this is what was stated and is obviously a chemical contained within their product. They also stated that premium diesel is not necessary when using their product.

I would have thought that the more additives that were in a fuel, apart from neat alcohol, would actually produce more soot.. so it's not an easy thing to improve. The EGR cooler is also acting as a condenser so naturally, it will attract deposits.
I would have thought the best thing to do to improve the situation was to have a catch can of some description to prevent oily smoke from the crankcase going back into the combustion cycle.

I would have thought that the more additives that were in a fuel, apart from neat alcohol, would actually produce more soot.. so it's not an easy thing to improve. The EGR cooler is also acting as a condenser so naturally, it will attract deposits.
I would have thought the best thing to do to improve the situation was to have a catch can of some description to prevent oily smoke from the crankcase going back into the combustion cycle.
That’s what I’ve been using on my 2001 A4 TDI with well over 200K on the clock. The emissions test at MOT are now better than when I acquired it in 2004. I fitted it when there was a noticeable increase in oil consumption.
Very easy to install and I’ve mentioned it one one of the many threads on this forum. I haven’t installed one on my 180 Euro 5 as it does not appear to consume any oil, no change on the dip stick and I have never added oil between servicing. No EGR issues.
As far as additives goes I think we are in the realms of the witch doctor there. To have selective cooling of exhaust gases with a chemical fuel additive is remarkable and frankly unbelievable.

Very good article attached. Click on the link ---->Fuel & Carbon Cleaners - What Happens to the Carbon? | Oilem - Lifting the Lid on Fuel & Oil Additive Market

Yes it basically says that cleaning additives in fuel are good for the combustion chamber vales and injectors etc but no good on the egr as the temperature is too low.

Reactions: DXX
How does this work?

You remove the EGR cooler and pipework, Fit a blanking kit, join the cooler hoses and map it out. same with the dpf remove it by either cutting it open and knocking it out or fitting a replacement downpipe then mapping the sensors out. Pendle do offer a service which does it all but i'll be doing it myself and getting pendle to do the Map.

You remove the EGR cooler and pipework, Fit a blanking kit, join the cooler hoses and map it out. same with the dpf remove it by either cutting it open and knocking it out or fitting a replacement downpipe then mapping the sensors out. Pendle do offer a service which does it all but i'll be doing it myself and getting pendle to do the Map.

Something to think about in the quest for performance

I would get on to VW UK Head Office and complain. If after you get it fixed, think about using only premium fuel and fuel additive to keep the combustion side of the engine as clean as possible.
Hi everyone, so VW have now investigated and confirmed that they need to do a EGR flush and will pay half the labour and for parts. My bill is £140 So far. However, they consequently rang me to say the flush concluded that the EGR valve needs replacing but won’t pay for this!!!!
I argued that this should be covered as I have had diesel filter issues for months, a flush already whilst under warranty And yet I still have these issues.
Any advice appreciated as I dont want to give these any more of my money. It’s not like the vehicles are cheap to start with!! FUMING!

Anyone know whether a FOI request would work? Would VW UK be bound by law to provide data on the extent of the problem based on warranty claims? It probably wouldn't be reliable as not everyone with the problem will have been back to the dealers or followed through to VW Assist, but I might be wrong.

I think FOI only covers public authorities so they would be able to stay tight lipped. :unsure:

Last edited:
If you can acquire the information what can be done with it?
OK so VW have an emission control system that doesn’t work correctly and causes excessive pollution, hardly news after Dieselgate. If the VW legal department were at all concerned there would have been a modification by now.
The only pressure that works is a drop in sales.

The only request you can make to a company is a Subject Access Request where they are obliged to reveal everything they have about you.
(police are exempt from this)

Well mines blocked again after less than 2000 miles. Not happy.

Back