Eberspacher Night Heater + Beach console retrofit

Stagspares

VIP Member
Hello, please can anyone help me with details of what would be involved in fitting a secondhand Beach overhead Heater Control Unit (near the cab centre lighting) and Eberspacher night heater into my T6 Caravelle? Many thanks for any advice.

Unless you have a genuine VW version of the Eberspacher (the ECU in the heater is unique to VW) and ALL of the wiring looms that belong with it for the same year as your vehicle plus the ability to vehicle have it coded to your vehicle I would suggest that it's not worth trying.
My choice would be to install a standard Eberspacher probably a D2 Airtronic fitted with compatible Eberspacher control (modulator). This I would fit in the normal VW location either on genuine VW mountings or the readily available after market ones and 'plumb' it in in all aspects, fuel, combustion and heating air plus electrics to your satisfaction. Original looks can de attained if you so wish, there are threads on this forum which will explain all of the options. Most of the facilities of the VW control are available with Eberspacher modulators including timer, thermostatic and remote control plus the option of unheated air circulation (not offered with the VW controls).

Unless you have a genuine VW version of the Eberspacher (the ECU in the heater is unique to VW) and ALL of the wiring looms that belong with it for the same year as your vehicle plus the ability to vehicle have it coded to your vehicle I would suggest that it's not worth trying.
My choice would be to install a standard Eberspacher probably a D2 Airtronic fitted with compatible Eberspacher control (modulator). This I would fit in the normal VW location either on genuine VW mountings or the readily available after market ones and 'plumb' it in in all aspects, fuel, combustion and heating air plus electrics to your satisfaction. Original looks can de attained if you so wish, there are threads on this forum which will explain all of the options. Most of the facilities of the VW control are available with Eberspacher modulators including timer, thermostatic and remote control plus the option of unheated air circulation (not offered with the VW controls).
Excellent and informative response

Thank you for your detailed response Rod_VW. I fitted genuine VW grilles and ducting to my Caravelle R/H B-post and driver's step a couple of years ago and then had a standard Eberspacher fitted along with its controller in the L/H B-post. I've recently been given a California 'D3 Plus' Eberspacher with wiring loom and a Console (overhead Heater Control Unit) with wiring loom and I'm interested to learn exactly which other parts I would need - wiring looms, controllers, etc. I know it seems like a lot of effort just to be able to use the VW controller, but I would like to have the 'factory look' as close as possible! Thanks again, Pete (Stagspares).

Hi Pete, right, now we know more about your project I guess that there are folks on here that can offer some help. I'll start with pointing you to genuine workshop manuals and wiring diagrams https://cardiagn.com/volkswagen/volkswagen-transporter/ (maybe you have found these before?). I don't have any personal knowledge of the genuine VW heater set-up except some of the physical installation.
Do you have access to VCDS or similar to do the necessary coding? If you don't, I have VCDS and live in Shropshire but I only basic knowledge of its use, if I can be of any assistance to you please feel free to call me.
The current flow wiring diagrams in the above manuals are no problem to me should that be of any help.
Rod

Back