Dynamat Vs Silent Coat

CALLAKN

Electrician / Linesman
VIP Member
T6 Legend
okay guys, so I’ve searched the forum and not really getting some first hand experienced answers...

I’ve silent coated the whole of the rear of my van, (minus the floor because it has the rubber kombi mat on it)

However I think I’m gonna throw some strips of sound deadening underneath it anyway...

I’m also going to move on and do the front of the cab too... question is, is dynamat really worth the extra money over the silent coat?! Plan on doing the doors, cab floor and maybe pillars... of something I don’t know.

I’ll do the floor when I order the leisure battery kit from @travelvolts

Cheers Callum

IMO, No you'll not notice any difference. I issued dynamat but don't think there is much difference in our requirements
@Absolut5

Brilliant I’ll stick with silent coat then,

Anyone sound proofed the floor even when having the rubber lining that the kombi comes with ? I feel it’ll make a difference still?

Anyone sound proofed the floor even when having the rubber lining that the kombi comes with ? I feel it’ll make a difference still?

Did this a couple of weeks ago alongside the doors. Made a big difference to me (Road noise reduced by about 20% overall I think and sound quality from speakers far far improved). I also have the kombi matting.

Immediately bought another two packs of silent coat and set about the rest of the van with it. Cab roof was the least fun part to get to! :thumbsup:

Can I ask, what is involved in dropping the roof lining ?

I found this video pretty informative:

It is not completely straightforward due to its size and shape but basically the grab handle and sun visors come off and the you pop the light cover off and undo two more screws underneath the bulbs which frees it. Then it is just a case of untucking it from the a and b pillar trims to release it. Quite a satisfying job to do though. :)

Yeah I looked into this quite extensively! It’s all pretty much the same “Alybutyl”
It’s just the thickness that makes any noticeable difference, 2mm is the most popular, you’ll be fine Silencoat though there are lots of cheaper alternatives out there!!

They all do the basic job of reducing resonance frequency

However we only use Dynamat on the ceiling, as lesser brands will eventually fall off, seen it many times, Dynamat sticks so much better and will not come off, it also comes in much larger sheets, which again is better suited for audio installs.

We do also use Skinz (black in colour) which comes in twice the sheet size of Silent coat, and I can do these in bulk packs at a very competitive price

Oh, I'm not finished yet! This thing is going to weigh a hundred kilos more by the time I've finished..

I have sound proofed the combo area under the rubber mat, I just made sure it was pressed down well, rubber mat went back down no problem

I'm halfway through that part but running out of matting, just ordered two more packs. SKODASC10 coupon code still works..

Back