Duvalay - which one to go for?

We decided to go with the 5cm Freshtec mattress topper. Ordered!

Size wise it’ll fit on the RIB parcel shelf when rolled up.

Have you received it and what's the impression please? Does it fit on the parcel shelf ok?

Have you received it and what's the impression please? Does it fit on the parcel shelf ok?

Yes indeed, received and used. We’re happy with it. Very comfortable and it fits on the “parcel shelf” just fine.

Yes indeed, received and used. We’re happy with it. Very comfortable and it fits on the “parcel shelf” just fine.
OK, reading this thread has thrown up a couple of questions.
Firstly I am trying to see the advantages of the sleeping bag over a mattress topper and a duvet. I dont really like sleeping in a bag. SO people with the Duvalay bags, where do you see the advantages over a mattress/duvet combination?

So, if I did decide to go with a mattress topper and duvet, why would people pay from £205 to £299 (depending on version) for the Duvalay when you can get CampinComfort RIB112 mattress topper at £135 (admittedly 1cm less thickness) are people just paying for the name?
For the difference I could buy a very nice summer and winter duvet.

Firstly I am trying to see the advantages of the sleeping bag over a mattress topper and a duvet. I dont really like sleeping in a bag. SO people with the Duvalay bags, where do you see the advantages over a mattress/duvet combination?

So, if I did decide to go with a mattress topper and duvet, why would people pay from £205 to £299 (depending on version) for the Duvalay when you can get CampinComfort RIB112 mattress topper at £135 (admittedly 1cm less thickness) are people just paying for the name?

I agree, that's a big price difference to be honest. I haven't heard of camping comfort ones. It would be interested to get any reviews from the members.

We went with, CampinComfort RIB112 mattress topper (£120), from edgecampervans.co.uk - correct shape to fit, and then 2 Duvalay Compact Dual Season Sleeping Bag, (7.5 Tog). Size is Size: 190cm x 66cm x 2.5cm, (£84 ea) and fits perfect, plenty comfortable enough.

Best nights sleep, no getting tangled in sleeping bag, and not fighting over a duvet.

Duvalays roll up nice and sit between upright seat and barn doors. Mattress topper lays on the pop top bed boards - just enough clearance. As it is just me and Gert, we usually make bed up before we go away...

I agree, that's a big price difference to be honest. I haven't heard of camping comfort ones. It would be interested to get any reviews from the members.
Me to.

There is no zip on the duvalay sleeping bag. It is basically a single duvet and the mattress attached at one side and the bottom and it is lovely and snug. Much better than a sleeping bag.

There is no zip on the duvalay sleeping bag. It is basically a single duvet and the mattress attached at one side and the bottom and it is lovely and snug. Much better than a sleeping bag.
I can see that. But I can’t see how it is better than a mattress topper and duvet?

We love our Duvalays… they fit perfectly side by side on our FortyWinks mattress…but we’ve also found them really helpful for quickly getting out when a friend is staying over on the sofa bed - so having 2 separate duvalays rather than a double duvet and topper means the 2 duvalays can be used in different places at the same time if required! No regrets in buying ours at all! Worth the £

Depends on what you want and the size of your bed. It works for us as 2 of them fit our bed perfectly.
Agreed, but I could buy 2 Duvalay bags or the mattress topper/ duvet combo and they would both fit perfectly. I am not criticising anyones choice, just trying to get the info to make the right decision for me.

We pondered the Duvalay sleeping bags but concluded that we prefer a duvet, sleeping bags always feel constrained to me, even though the Duvalays are open on one side. We bought a Duvalay Freshtec mattress instead, it’s very comfortable and cool. Premium price vs others but no regrets here.

Agreed, but I could buy 2 Duvalay bags or the mattress topper/ duvet combo and they would both fit perfectly. I am not criticising anyones choice, just trying to get the info to make the right decision for me.
We have 2 x 58x5cm Freshtec versions, with their own fitted sheet, on a 112 Rib Bed which fit OK. Plus they are easier to pack and give you the flexibility to put one in the Pop top. A wool duvet, from The Woolroom, is also recommended. Used in all seasons in UK and proven to us to be worth every penny...

@czmate1999 and @Daleboy you both have Freshtec versions. I can see the advantages in summer to keep you cool, but in sprig/autumn/winter will this be colder in these seasons?

Thanks

Nope, seems to act the opposite of a flask; ‘keeps hot things cold and cold things hot’… 100% :thumbsup:
Strange. Not sure how that works. If it lets heat out in the summer not sure how it keeps it in better in winter. A bit counter intuitive.

I do feel the cold so hopefully it might help.

Strange. Not sure how that works. If it lets heat out in the summer not sure how it keeps it in better in winter. A bit counter intuitive.

I do feel the cold so hopefully it might help.
Very true but can only report as found. The wool duvet no doubt helps…

I've just bought a freshtec ready for our conversion next month. What do you all do storage wise? Does the topper live in the house and only go in the van when you're using it, or can it stay in the van through spring/summer. I was planning on keeping it in the house but thought I'd check what others do. Thanks

Back