Duvalay - which one to go for?

Carl1974

T5.1
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all, I’m looking to purchase the duvalay as it seems the better option I hope, there are various ones but what is the best go fo for.

We have them, we upgraded the poly wool duvet for John Lewis duck/goose down ones, now they are perfect.

We have the Freshtec travel topper, 5cm thick. It’s great, our width is 58cm.

BE40298B-5148-4C0E-B1F0-0E39E62151B4.jpeg

We got the 4cm with 10 and 4 (?) tog duvets; if your base is uneven like ours (seats and cushions) I would go for 5cm, if smooth then 4cm should be fine. I reckon the 2.5 cm would be too thin if you are used to a memory foam mattress.

Good shout @Loz on swapping for down duvets, presumably reduces the packed size?

We went for a pair from Blacks (same ones for sale at Millets). No choice of size but they're brilliant. Paid £160 I think for the pair but Wife had a code. Really recommend them.

So we initially bought the Duvalay VW campervan compact topper (2.5cm thick), it’s 115cm wide / 190cm long and seemed to fit just fine on our 120cm RIB bed.

A pretty good night‘s sleep when we tried it for the first time this weekend. However we’ve decided that a slightly thicker option may be better so are now looking at the Duvalay Comfort sleeping bags which are 4cm thick. Seems a convenient option too.

Inclined to go for the 58cm width as two of them would be a similar fit (116cm) and the photo above from @czmate1999 looks good. Good idea, bad idea, any observations from owners? And is there any point going for the wider 66cm option, I’m thinking not as that would be 12cm over the width of the RIB bed and storage of the smaller version would be better.

We went with, CampinComfort RIB112 mattress topper (£120), from edgecampervans.co.uk - correct shape to fit, and then 2 Duvalay Compact Dual Season Sleeping Bag, (7.5 Tog). Size is Size: 190cm x 66cm x 2.5cm, (£84 ea) and fits perfect, plenty comfortable enough.

Best nights sleep, no getting tangled in sleeping bag, and not fighting over a duvet.

Duvalays roll up nice and sit between upright seat and barn doors. Mattress topper lays on the pop top bed boards - just enough clearance. As it is just me and Gert, we usually make bed up before we go away...

Reactions: CAB
We went for 2 of the Compact 66cm ones.
We are very happy with them.
F0D36879-DEB2-492A-B70B-3DF0463CDF08.jpeg

So we initially bought the Duvalay VW campervan compact topper (2.5cm thick), it’s 115cm wide / 190cm long and seemed to fit just fine on our 120cm RIB bed.

A pretty good night‘s sleep when we tried it for the first time this weekend. However we’ve decided that a slightly thicker option may be better so are now looking at the Duvalay Comfort sleeping bags which are 4cm thick. Seems a convenient option too.

Inclined to go for the 58cm width as two of them would be a similar fit (116cm) and the photo above from @czmate1999 looks good. Good idea, bad idea, any observations from owners? And is there any point going for the wider 66cm option, I’m thinking not as that would be 12cm over the width of the RIB bed and storage of the smaller version would be better.
I would recommend what we went with, well I would wouldn't I. :) Seriously though, why not go for the 5cm version?

Also ring duvalay before you make the order and say that you saw a discount code for them and have lost down the paper you wrote it on and see what they say... always worth a try!!

I would recommend what we went with, well I would wouldn't I. :) Seriously though, why not go for the 5cm version?

Also ring duvalay before you make the order and say that you saw a discount code for them and have lost down the paper you wrote it on and see what they say... always worth a try!!

Thanks. The reason I went with the “compact” 2.5cm topper from Duvalay was a concern over how much space the larger 4cm or 5cm versions would take when travelling. We have a SWB van. The topper fits nicely on the “parcel shelf” part of the Rib bed. How do you find it storing and travelling with 2 of the 5cm Duvalay sleeping bags? I’m a bit concerned they’d be too bulky.

I opted for the 5cm comfort topper. Not slept on it yet but it certainly looks and feels comfortable enough from when I rolled it out and test fitted

Thanks. The reason I went with the “compact” 2.5cm topper from Duvalay was a concern over how much space the larger 4cm or 5cm versions would take when travelling. We have a SWB van. The topper fits nicely on the “parcel shelf” part of the Rib bed. How do you find it storing and travelling with 2 of the 5cm Duvalay sleeping bags? I’m a bit concerned they’d be too bulky.
See mine below - its messy as we were away at the weekend... Both silver bags contain the 5cm topper in the sleeping bag type bedding with duvet and pillow. Still plenty of room. when using the bedding on consecutive days we do not bother to put them back in the bags. We just roll them to the back of the van and change the bed back to a seat.

1648039153494.png

See mine below - its messy as we were away at the weekend... Both silver bags contain the 5cm topper in the sleeping bag type bedding with duvet and pillow. Still plenty of room. when using the bedding on consecutive days we do not bother to put them back in the bags. We just roll them to the back of the van and change the bed back to a seat.

View attachment 150367

Very useful, thank you. Looks OK actually. Is that with the winter (10 tog) or summer (4.5 tog) duvet that Duvalay offer? I"m looking at the bundles that provide both.

Very useful, thank you. Looks OK actually. Is that with the winter (10 tog) or summer (4.5 tog) duvet that Duvalay offer? I"m looking at the bundles that provide both.
that's the summer one - have never used the winter ones! the duvets are twice as wide as the mattress - so if you were cold you could double up by folding it back over yourself. or doubling up on layers with the missus :).

We also have a diesel heater. As I mentioned, we were camping last weekend and only had the heater on once we returned from the pub to watch a film and then for 3 times - each at 30 minutes every 2 hours from midnight ti 6am. Even that was overkill to be honest.

that's the summer one - have never used the winter ones! the duvets are twice as wide as the mattress - so if you were cold you could double up by folding it back over yourself. or doubling up on layers with the missus :).

We also have a diesel heater. As I mentioned, we were camping last weekend and only had the heater on once we returned from the pub to watch a film and then for 3 times - each at 30 minutes every 2 hours from midnight ti 6am. Even that was overkill to be honest.

Thanks. We also have a diesel heater, it’s very effective. I’m still trying to work out the rationale for the Duvalay duvets being twice as wide as the mattress part. Seems overkill to a degree, especially storage wise. Although even then, when camping in winter months I know my wife will want the bigger duvet. Me, not so much. Very useful advice, appreciated.

Thanks. We also have a diesel heater, it’s very effective. I’m still trying to work out the rationale for the Duvalay duvets being twice as wide as the mattress part. Seems overkill to a degree, especially storage wise. Although even then, when camping in winter months I know my wife will want the bigger duvet. Me, not so much. Very useful advice, appreciated.
They are a standard single duvet and it’s brilliant. We love this design.

I tried the discount code phone call yesterday. Fail :rolleyes: They must have wisened up to this tactic :D

I’m almost ready to press the button on two 4cm Duvalay sleeping bags, just not sure whether to go for the Comfort memory foam or Freshtec version. The Duvalay person I spoke with recommended the comfort.

I tried the discount code phone call yesterday. Fail :rolleyes: They must have wisened up to this tactic :D

I’m almost ready to press the button on two 4cm Duvalay sleeping bags, just not sure whether to go for the Comfort memory foam or Freshtec version. The Duvalay person I spoke with recommended the comfort.
Mine are freshtec. very happy with them.

Mine are freshtec. very happy with them.

In a late change at the final turn, we have decided not to go with the integrated Duvalay sleeping bags but simply to replace our compact mattress topper with a thicker one, and just use a normal duvet on top.

Either this one: Duvalay VW Campervan Comfort Topper at £174.95 or £249.95 depending on silver/ gold memory foam choice.

Or this one: Duvalay VW Campervan Freshtec Topper at £274.95.

Both 5cm.

The Freshtec one apparently weighs a bit less than the Comfort and I like the idea of staying cool.

How do you find the comfort of it?

Back