DSG Second Gear Start

Tsixty

T6 Guru
Is it possible? Every non VAG auto (both in the traditional auto sense and in the dual clutch gearbox sense) I've owned in the last 10 years has allowed you to pull away in second gear if you want to for example in snow. I expected to be able to move the DSG shifter across into manual mode whilst stationery, foot on brake, and manually select second before pulling away. Doesn't work though just sits in first which I thought was odd.

I doubt it, would think it could cause a lot of wear on the clutch as it would need a lot more slipping to get moving smoothly in 2nd. I would think vw expect we all behave in a very German manner and fit the correct tyres to suit the conditions!

I doubt it, would think it could cause a lot of wear on the clutch as it would need a lot more slipping to get moving smoothly in 2nd. I would think vw expect we all behave in a very German manner and fit the correct tyres to suit the conditions!
I was just curious, I don't need to do it. I'm sure I've seen people with VW DSG boxes say that it works on theirs, possibly even mention of it on here. Other manufacturers manage it perfectly well with their dual clutch gearboxes so I don't see why the wear would be any greater issue for VW.

I don’t believe this can be done and have never heard it being done, unless perhaps you have full custom software added to the box. Happy to ask TVS for you if it’s something they can setup for you?

Oli, good grief no please don't go to any trouble, i was only curious as I saw someone saying their DSG did it and I know the Ford Powershift box could do it. It doesn't make any difference to me whether it is possible or not.

I’ve asked the question with TVS today. I don’t think it will be possible for the reason above and van weight but will see what they say as they can literally programme the boxes to behave how they want.

Has anyone tried it from a start down a steep hill? Even back in the day some auto boxes would automatically start in 2nd if pointing downhill?

Back