Low cruising speed DSG vs Manual

sw25481

VIP Member
I just got back from the dealer having driven a 150PS DSG and Manual 6.1 PV. Our other cars are Auto (one electric) so I thought it would be an easy decision. It really was not. The DSG was almost as good as expected but the Manual was way better than I expected.

The thing I found slightly disconcerting was the DSG at low cruising speed. Trying to maintain 30 or 40 seemed unusually hard. The briefest brush of the accelerator and you are speeding. I spent most of my time with my foot hovering above the accelerator with tickover enough to keep me going especially on any hint of a slight decline. When I hit an incline I would then need a healthy push of the pedal before backing off again or braking on the other side

With the manual I must have subconsciously keep it in a lower gear so there is more effect from engine braking when you back off. This same effect is also pretty pronounced in electric cars as the regen kicks in as you pull off the pedal giving you a one pedal driving experience for all but a few occasions where you need to break quickly. With DSG I was conscious of how often I was on the brakes. None of this effected me at higher speeds where you needed to be on the accelerator pedal all the time, as expected, to counter wind resistance and maintain speed.

Has anyone else experienced the same? Is there a trick? Can it be adjusted? Is this why some people want to fit flappy paddles?

I just got back from the dealer having driven a 150PS DSG and Manual 6.1 PV. Our other cars are Auto (one electric) so I thought it would be an easy decision. It really was not. The DSG was almost as good as expected but the Manual was way better than I expected.

The thing I found slightly disconcerting was the DSG at low cruising speed. Trying to maintain 30 or 40 seemed unusually hard. The briefest brush of the accelerator and you are speeding. I spent most of my time with my foot hovering above the accelerator with tickover enough to keep me going especially on any hint of a slight decline. When I hit an incline I would then need a healthy push of the pedal before backing off again or braking on the other side

With the manual I must have subconsciously keep it in a lower gear so there is more effect from engine braking when you back off. This same effect is also pretty pronounced in electric cars as the regen kicks in as you pull off the pedal giving you a one pedal driving experience for all but a few occasions where you need to break quickly. With DSG I was conscious of how often I was on the brakes. None of this effected me at higher speeds where you needed to be on the accelerator pedal all the time, as expected, to counter wind resistance and maintain speed.

Has anyone else experienced the same? Is there a trick? Can it be adjusted? Is this why some people want to fit flappy paddles?
Hi
With DSG the drive disengages when you lift your foot off the throttle, as an aid to economy.
In effect you are freewheeling, especially with a slight downhill.
As your downhill speed increases and you use the brake, drive re-engages.
This can be switched off via the dashboard, to give engine braking. (At least with my T6)
Hope this helps.
Andy

I bought a 150 auto shuttle in June and have covered around 3000 miles. I noticed that the van cruises with no breaking effect in auto, but if I dab the break pedal it starts to use the engine to break. If I push the gearbox over to manual the engine brakes like my manual Passat. I have adjusted to the querks of the gear box, and occasionally shift to manual if I want to not have to push the accelerator hard to speed up, as you described. The issue for me is I am becoming too used to the auto box to care anymore and fortunately even in manual, when slowing the gear box changes down.

I know I'm not answering your question, but if it helps, I'd buy a manual if given the choice again.

One thing I miss is cruise control, especially on long journeys. The pedal is high and I'd like to have the it but my local dealer says it was not a factory option so don't offer it.

Hi
With DSG the drive disengages when you lift your foot off the throttle, as an aid to economy.
In effect you are freewheeling, especially with a slight downhill.
As your downhill speed increases and you use the brake, drive re-engages.
This can be switched off via the dashboard, to give engine braking. (At least with my T6)
Hope this helps.
Andy
On a 6.1 the DSG freewheel has been deleted.

I bought a 150 auto shuttle in June and have covered around 3000 miles. I noticed that the van cruises with no breaking effect in auto, but if I dab the break pedal it starts to use the engine to break. If I push the gearbox over to manual the engine brakes like my manual Passat. I have adjusted to the querks of the gear box, and occasionally shift to manual if I want to not have to push the accelerator hard to speed up, as you described. The issue for me is I am becoming too used to the auto box to care anymore and fortunately even in manual, when slowing the gear box changes down.

I know I'm not answering your question, but if it helps, I'd buy a manual if given the choice again.

One thing I miss is cruise control, especially on long journeys. The pedal is high and I'd like to have the it but my local dealer says it was not a factory option so don't offer it.
Ypu need to switch of the 'freewheeling' option in the Driver information menu.

Dont believe the dealer. They may not do it but cruise can be retrofitted.

Hi, thanks for confirming.

I found a place in the south of England, Poole who will fit Cruise but I'm in Scotland and not prepared to drive to the south coast.

If anyone know of a company in Scotland, I'd gladly hear it!

I've bought a manual. I love auto's but in a van, towing and offroad i believe a manual is best.

Back