DSG or Manual?

Euro 5 is not compatible with ACC as it doesn’t have the capacity to brake for you etc I hear it would require and controller/Ecu upgrade

If money was no option I’d of bought DSG and to be honest it’s my only regret. I paid £20k for my 16 plate 180 Highline PV and the cheapest, similar spec auto version was £24k.

Do know how anyone can choose a manual over a modern auto. Especially one as good as the VW DSG.

I've got a manual and have no problem at all, but my next van will probably be DSG just for when i'm in traffic on holiday

DSG for me.
Need to get a flappy paddle wheel and it will be perfect.
We had a Disco with a “proper” auto box & flappy paddles. Hardly ever used them & quite often caught them when indicating and caused inadvertent gear changes. They are a gimmick imho.

Just been told by a place that sell Transporters that they do not deal with DSG vans because the "DSG box is so unreliable". Is this true or am I being spinned a yarn?

Never yet driven an automatic yet that’s as immediate and responsive as manual - but then again I’ve never driven a DSG. I enjoy every aspect of driving so it’s manual for me. At the moment...

Ours is DSG, but has a manual loan van 150hp TDI for a day; and it was lovely to drive, and with drivers seat arm rests, very nice indeed. My mrs mostly drives our T6, and she loves DSG, particularly in slow queuing traffic, after a day of activity with tired legs.

Last edited:
My van is manual, have no issue with it at all.

my current car for work is a BMW 3 series GT with auto box. It is dreadful. Bloody gearbox has no awareness that it is a gearbox and has a timely job to do.

First DSG for me with flappy paddles.Use in the mountains very nice and effective on the snow and resting on the long ride, no problem at the moment.

Must say in few weeks of ownership I enjoy the DSG box in our van ! It allows me to glimpse the external views whilst driving and in traffic it’s much more efficient ! Hopefully on long journeys I will be less tired at end of the day ? Not mention gives my left knee a good rest as opposed to when I drive a heavy clutch car !

My 6.1 is an early 2020 version so was able to get the remap done and DSG remap. Now there is a difference worth noting! Much smooth through the gears with better timed changes IMO. On the way to Dav-Tec through the Peak District it would be in 3rd down hill screaming. Once mapped the drive hope was a joy. I also have old man knees now so have had autos a while now. Since the DSG remap I also don't notice the forward and back roll I used to get every now and then upon changing so much ?

No contest DSG all day long ! I’ve had a Pendle remap on my 6.1 engine and gearbox and it’s now a total joy to drive. The factory parameters are very conservative and they have more than enough in reserve not to worry about over-stressing components.
I really love the DSG boxes. One thing is important change the oil and filter on time using only the best VAG oil.
I had a golf R dsg it for a while which had the same treatment - it was a dream to drive.

IMG_1919.jpeg

No contest DSG all day long ! I’ve had a Pendle remap on my 6.1 engine and gearbox and it’s now a total joy to drive. The factory parameters are very conservative and they have more than enough in reserve not to worry about over-stressing components.
I really love the DSG boxes. One thing is important change the oil and filter on time using only the best VAG oil.
I had a golf R dsg it for a while which had the same treatment - it was a dream to drive.

View attachment 221202

Not at the moment but that doesn’t mean it can’t be just that no ones done it (that I know of) unfortunately I have a Euro5 van or I would have had a crack at it by now !
Euro5 is no longer a problem for retrofitting ACC

On the way to Dav-Tec through the Peak District it would be in 3rd down hill screaming.
Mine (MY21 T6.1 Caravelle) does that but I don't think it's the DSG as such, seems to be the stop/start doing regenerative braking and downshifting to get the alternator revs up.

Interestingly my driving style has always favoured engine braking on descent so I was quite impressed the van did it pretty much where I would have done so in manual.

Back