DSG or Manual?

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hello, I am currently looking for a van to convert to either a day van or possibly long term camper van.

I have been driving cars with DSG/Tiptronic for about 6 years.

I think I might miss this as its will be my only 'car'.

However it doesn't not seem there are many Transporters with DSG.

Are there any reasons for this apart from expense? Long term reliability? I plan to keep the van a long time.

Thanks for any input.

Just the opposite here. I won't miss the hesitancy, the slowness and the lack of engine braking off throttle and so I opted for the accuracy and directness of a manual where I'm in full control.

Love manual in the car but DSG in the van although I will be getting paddles at the earliest opportunity for that extra bit of control.

Most of the T6 owners I know run DSG, including me,

I'm surprised at this as Im struggling to find one. Going back to manual is a worry.

Love manual in the car but DSG in the van although I will be getting paddles at the earliest opportunity for that extra bit of control.

After the novelty in first few weeks, I never use the paddles or put the box into manual mode either. I've never used it enough to get used to it and forget to change gear. Although I dont have this problem on my motorbike, or manual car.

DSG for me on this van and the last.

Wouldn't be without it.

Speccd from new on both.

I'm assumlessing there are less out in the wild as its a pricy option and most people just keep the vans..... or they sell for a premium.

There are loads about . . . . . But it will cost you.

Same here, DSG is the only option for me. You don't want to be 'working' when you are off in your campervan! :)

I'm in the privileged position of having two T6's. A camper van manual, and my van i use for work is a DSG.
DSG for me, all day long.

Dsg for me too, soo much more relaxing to drive. The ACC works brilliantly combined with Dsg.

I've had manual and dsg vans, I wouldn't have a manual now.

I have a T5.1 & a T6, both with DSG, won’t ever go back to manual. I have ACC on the T6, brilliant :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input everyone.

Now I need to get over my worry that this is a really bad time to buy, especially as VW have dropped the petrol option. Makes me wonder what is around the corner and what it will do for residuals, but guess thats for a different thread

Do you know if it can be retro fitted?
Not at the moment but that doesn’t mean it can’t be just that no ones done it (that I know of) unfortunately I have a Euro5 van or I would have had a crack at it by now !

Not at the moment but that doesn’t mean it can’t be just that no ones done it (that I know of) unfortunately I have a Euro5 van or I would have had a crack at it by now !

Is that because the cruise is on the stalk, and not on the wheel Pauly

Back