Dsg intermittent scuff

djg87

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi everyone

I have a 2014 t5 lwb. 140 dsg dq500 obh I think. Had it since feb this year. 80thou on the clock with only a couple gaps in the service history. The dealer I purchased the van had the gearbox serviced and a few other bits and bobs before I collected it. Since having the van when coasting in 6th around 40 mph slowing down to 30 I get an occasional scuffing sound when dropping to 5th. At least once every time I drive the van. Won’t do it in sport or manual. Been to 2 different vw commercial/ service places and they said they have never heard of it. At the second visit after 45 mins of me driving the bloke about and the van not making the sound was told there’s nothing they can do and that I shouldn’t worry. No updates for the box are due and no fault codes so his hands are tied. Any one else suffered with this ? I saw online somewhere that it’s not uncommon with 140s paired with the same box and they also had problems resolving it and had to bully vw to change the software. And help would be much appreciated

You could ask them to perform the adaption again. This will re-learn the clutch bite points.

I may have to try another vw place as they didn’t really seem interested in helping unless they hear the sound. And to be honest I doubt them hearing it will do them any good as it was a sales guy I took for a drive and not a mechanic. Just annoying when 2 dealerships have said they have never heard of the issue when it’s easy enough to find other people have have the same problem online and all have to basically bully vw to update the dsg ecu to a different version to stop the scuff.

Probably You’re best bet is to find a good independent garage where you can actually discuss it with a good mechanic or maybe speak to @BognorMotors about a gearbox remap.

Update**

After vw telling me no update for my reg and that the obh box either works or doesn’t and when it gets worse that a new box will be 10k

Darkside developments find the update I knew was needed and was due on the van. No more scuff. Feel like vw was trying to con me into buying a new box

I wouldn’t say that. Despite charging 115 per hour it seems they have plenty of work. Like any business if you have plenty to do you decide what job to take and what to ask for that job. Dsg box is a pain to work on and repairing it is not on the VW list. Or they just gave you that answer so you don’t bother them anymore, you might not be the client they want.

There was a know update for the box easily findable with a reg search. Vw searched if it was for mine and said it wasn’t. But it was drove 10k miles scuffing for Nout. Was a super quick fix and only the registration of the van in a quick search would have shown the update was needed. Explained the situation to darkside and within an hour they solve the issue. Vw dealer drove round for an hour with me said they hadn’t heard of it and come back when it gets bad . Just didn’t seem to care. Perhaps also poor communication for uncommon vw updates. I will certainly be avoiding vw as a lesson learnt

what you need is a knowledgeable small garage, with people willing to help you because they want to get business in and have a client for the future. Main dealer is good only if you have warranty on your van. Anything older than 3 years old is not of much interest to any Main dealer.
Darkside know their shit and are knowledgeable about mapping box. Good you have found solution.

Back