Driving abroad with LED Headlamps

Mojo

Photographer
T6 Guru
Off down through France this summer for some camping and fun but got to thinking about the legal requirement for beam correction stickers on headlamps...Has anyone used them on their led headlamps as the front lens is clear with no indication as to where to position them etc. It is also law in France to carry spare headlamp bulbs but led's are different and a dealership job if they do go faulty so that's not an option..

Not required on LEDs
There is a section in the MFD>Lights for driving abroad which automatically kicks the lights over for right hand traffic
LED headlights have four directional motors and go up/down and left/right

Not required on LEDs
There is a section in the MFD>Lights for driving abroad which automatically kicks the lights over for right hand traffic
LED headlights have four directional motors and go up/down and left/right
Cool thanks @Pauly I must have missed that when I have played with the menus..I'm off outside right now to have a look...Cheers!

o.k. got it...It's called Travel Mode and you just turn it on or off...mine already had the box ticked so I could have been driving around with my headlamps pointing the wrong way???

o.k. got it...It's called Travel Mode and you just turn it on or off...mine already had the box ticked so I could have been driving around with my headlamps pointing the wrong way???
Which was round is the kick up and decide?

It's simple to check, park up close to a wall at night and put on the lights.

Should look like a ski slope with the ramp on passengers side

Planning to buy VW. May need to relocate to Germany though. Question is, does the travel mode change the beam kick up from left to right, or just make it flat (which is not OK for the Germany MOT). When bringing Opel from Germany with Xenon AFS lights it just made it flat and I had to replace the complete headlights :-(

Planning to buy VW. May need to relocate to Germany though. Question is, does the travel mode change the beam kick up from left to right, or just make it flat (which is not OK for the Germany MOT). When bringing Opel from Germany with Xenon AFS lights it just made it flat and I had to replace the complete headlights :-(
Only for short term use, and it flattens the beam, for export you will need to replace the headlights as per the workshop manual.

Thanks for the very fast response - I half expected this. If I did move back to Germany, do you happen to know if I could replace the LEDs by halogens - I guess would be much cheaper....

No you couldnt, i mean its possible but not a straight swap as they wire up differently.
Although they are expensive you could probably sell your RHD ones and recover the worst of the expense ?

Thanks you so much. Looks like that is the best option. As I go often to Germany I do not like the idea of frequently adding/removing stickers.....

I'll be going to France soon and would like advice about fitting headlight converters.
I have Led lights, do I need different converters to the standard ones? If so where can I buy them?

Nothing required, you have an option in the MFD menu that moves the beam so it is suitable for right hand traffic

Is it possible to adjust LED headlights for European travel, I'm sure I've seen it somewhere in the manual but can't find it again

Last edited by a moderator:
Back