Driveway security bollards / gates etc…

Ozbar jim

T6 Pro
New Van comes on 1st may. What are peoples thoughts on a retractable security bollard or post? Are these things pretty solid? would a thief be able to bypass or pick it?

rd4s_cropshot.jpg

New Van comes on 1st may. What are peoples thoughts on a retractable security bollard or post? Are these things pretty solid? would a thief be able to bypass or pick it?

View attachment 42349
Looks fairly solid and anything like that is a deterrent. We considered fitting one but in the end opted for an immobiliser fitted to the van as you can be just as at risk when out and about, especially if the van is left parked up for a few hours.

Layers of security, and that is one of them...

Did look at these but the worry about forgetting it was there and possible issues when frozen in winter put me off.

Hi has anyone added a parking bollard to their driveway as an extra security measure. If so which one have you decided on.

Is this in addition to additional immobiliser like the Autowatch Ghost?

A really nice lad came out yesterday to have a chat about electric gates and CCTV. I did try to find out what sort of ballpark figure upfront, so I wasn't wasting his time, as we're flexible about quite what we might install but he didn't really say. Anyway, the quote popped up today and it's been a long time since I've been surprised by any quote as I work in property and have regularly coughed up large sums of cash for all sorts of jobs over the years. I've never been quoted for gates tho and I was definitely surprised.

Anyone got any experience or can suggest a better/more cost effective but also effective solution for blocking the drive a bit more?

The entire drive needs doing so we're open to ideas. I did start off thinking bollard but of course got a bit carried away.

Last edited:
If you get an electric arm kit yourself, a steel fabricator can make you the gates.
I did mine myself and have the nest system on them.

I paid £1200 for the Nest Kit, and was about £125 worth of steel back then. Its a 50x50 frame, approx 2400 Square, 2 leaves.

We don’t have the space for gates, so we have 3 telescopic anti ram bollards that pull up from the ground, along with a fixed bollard to the other side (there’s a fence the other side but open on the opposite so means they get out that way).

I paid £1200 for the Nest Kit, and was about £125 worth of steel back then. Its a 50x50 frame, approx 2400 Square, 2 leaves.

Maybe something for the future. :)

We don’t have the space for gates, so we have 3 telescopic anti ram bollards that pull up from the ground, along with a fixed bollard to the other side (there’s a fence the other side but open on the opposite so means they get out that way).
That sounds good. My worry about bollards is forgetting they're there. I'm getting a bit dozy these days and our drive is already quite constrained.

Where did you get them from?

If you get an electric arm kit yourself, a steel fabricator can make you the gates.

Or if you want timber gates. Turners Gates

I've used these guys. See post here:

What Have You Bought Today?

I park with the tailgate facing the bollard, so that I can see it with the reversing camera AND the rear parking sensors go nuts when I start the engine and engage reverse gear. The front parking sensors don't 'see' the bollard, so I was paranoid about forgetting it was there and driving into it if I parked nose forwards :oops:

Reactions: JOG
Yep, I need to get on this but cannot get anyone to do the work at a reasonable cost. The drive needs doing around the bollards and whilst it's not the biggest drive, only a bit bigger than the van, the cost appears to have doubled since we contemplated this a couple of years ago. We're either going to have to suck it up or find someone else but I'm wary of going cheap on a drive.

Last edited:

Nest system good? Also where to buy?

Someone posted pic of Velcro tags they strap to the steering wheel as a reminder to remove before driving. Could be a good option if you worry about forgetting to remove the bollard before driving

Back