DPF remap - MOT risks?

alanj

Hi, T32 204 ps, DSG 4motion. Vehicle seems to be regenerating a DPF clean pretty regularly (the fan cones on when I turn the engine off) even though I do 20 mile trip and get engine plenty warm enough. This happens several times a week.

If I get the DPF and EGR and ADBlue mapped out, are there any risks with passing the MOT? Rumour has it there is a new MOT emissions test in Belgium or Holland that can detect if the DPF has been bypassed…

My guess is that your van is behaving like a normal Euro 6 van i.e. nothing to worry about.
I'd leave it well alone.
I get you Dave, but what I omitted to add is that the van is consuming 1 litre of oil per 3,000 miles, possibly due to the high temperatures created by the van constantly trying to do DPF regens

It will keep doing regens if you turn it off mid regen (fan staying on). On your next trip of 20 miles it will again try to complete the regen won’t start until engine is up to temp so probably won’t have finished regen again when you stop. I always try to let a regen finish before stopping the van.

If you're notice the van is doing a regen at the end of a trip... (Higher revs and fan on)..

Leave the van ticking over or take it for an extra drive while the engine and dpf is still hot....

Or it will just keep repeating the cycle....

You need to make sure the regen is completed. (It will do it itself just sitting on the driveway) it may take 5-20mins.

Treat the root cause, an engine won’t consume more oil because of a slightly elevated exhaust temperature.
There appears to be a trend with 204ps consuming excessive oil.

My 204ps (160k on the clock) is consuming around 1litre / 1000 miles, 24mpg average and EGR fault when I took it in for the service. Coil light also comes on during a trip. Almost always +50 miles journeys.

It's going through an oil consumption check at the dealer which I should have results from next week, but did tell me that it will need an EGR and a DPF as it has 102g ash with max 110g before its full? Anyone heard of this / had it changed? They said its around £2900 for the DPF!

Full dealer servicing, never been mentioned before. Been mentioning the oil usage and they said its within spec also until now, gone to a different VW dealer who has given me this news...

They have said wait on all of it in case the engine is shot, pulls ok but the oil usage and MPG seems to point to something not being right..

Hi, T32 204 ps, DSG 4motion. Vehicle seems to be regenerating a DPF clean pretty regularly (the fan cones on when I turn the engine off) even though I do 20 mile trip and get engine plenty warm enough. This happens several times a week.

If I get the DPF and EGR and ADBlue mapped out, are there any risks with passing the MOT? Rumour has it there is a new MOT emissions test in Belgium or Holland that can detect if the DPF has been bypassed…
Pre 2019 204?
There was an issue with the piston oil control rings I think. That may be causing your dpf issue.
Can’t remember details though as it didn’t apply to me. There is info on these forums though.

Rumour has it there is a new MOT emissions test in Belgium or Holland that can detect if the DPF has been bypassed…
Oh yes indeed....

Late to see this, sorry. Hope you're sorted. Same vehicle as yours but mine's manual. Think it was your Dave that as an aside said the most helpful thing to me - 'don't get below 1/4 full tank'. I have always driven till 10 or so miles to empty. Nowadays I fill up as soon as it gets to 1/3 full, indicated. MPG up, Regens down. The van has had a new DPF at around 40k. It has had a fair bit done under warranty tbh e.g., 3 oil leaks - 2 of which were engine block. A couple of months back I was convinced there was a new leak due to 2 x 1litre oil top-ups in 6,000 miles. Instinctively and coincidentally at the time I tried not driving to empty, I was expecting the oil light to come on again. (It hasn't for another 5,000). Bottom line = I am now convinced there's no leak but Regens etc. are hungry on oil.
To summarise: don't expect the engine to be running sweetly and honestly unless it is hot, doing 2,000+ RPM And the fuel tank is at least 1/4 full, actually. If any of these three conditions aren't being met, the van will be coking up and readying itself for higher idling speed and loud fan overrun, as you walk away from it.
Hope this is coherent and helpful.

Back