Down lights misbehaving

FactionRaptor

I’ve installed 6 touch down lights into my camper conversion and they all work absolutely fine when they’re dangling from their wires and not pushed in. But when I push them into the cut out, they don’t respond to touch/ don’t work as intended, they either stay on or stay off.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what’s the fix?

The spotlights are connected via Wago blocks so simple to check, which I’ve done plenty of times.

IMG_1857.jpeg

Presumably you touch the metal surround to control them. Perhaps the carpet they are clipping into is affecting the touch sensitivity. Have you tried them in just a wood surround - could be something to do with the carpet ?

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes that’s right, they’re the touch sensitive lights controlled by the outer ring. I’m not sure what it is causing this issue and I’ve spent all day trying to fix it. As soon as it goes up in to the carpeted hole, they stop working

It’s because the carpet is effectively blocking the capacitance change that your body creates. It’s this capacitance change that triggers the light circuit.
I don’t know how you fix it.

Pete

I've had this. Sometimes if the hole is a bit tight it makes them worse as the plastic housings flex a bit, BUT ultimately I gave up on them & fitted non-touch ones with a remote switch...sorry that doesn't really help:cry:

Thanks, it’s ok - here’s the response from the company selling the lights

We have found that as these lights have some flex in the body, if mounted too tightly to the surface the body of the light bends a little and you may experience issues with the light coming on.
Could you try loosening the fixing screws slightly to see if this resolves the issue?
The touch lights have conductivity for touch switch operation on both the face and the rear of the unit. If the light is installed where the outside of the light is touching a conductive material (i.e. metal) it will stop the touch operation functioning correctly. The lights need to be installed with an insulating layer (lining material) to prevent contact with a conductive material.

Touch LED's are also voltage sensitive and, if run through a control panel, once power is activated the touch lights will sense voltage change and turn on. We recommend that these lights are wired directly to the power source (leisure battery) with an inline fuse.
If the above troubleshoots don’t resolve the issues you’re currently experiencing - we ask that you please remove the light from its current installation, and test independently by wiring directly to a known "good" power source. If the lights still fail to function correctly, please do let us know and can then discuss their return to us for further testing.

Back