Doubleback Camper

Davenjo

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I've Just had an article appear in Facebook via "Insider Inventions" regarding the Doubleback Camper; I remember seeing this a few years ago and thinking "wow" but have not seen anything on them since and forgot about it.

The article I've just seen is a regurgitation of what I've seen previously using the old video review and if you Google it, whilst the website is still there, all that comes up is the old videos.

Did this ever get beyond the concept/prototype stage?

I was looking at it before I got mine...the seats look so uncomfortable...

Just the video...i don't much like it...great idea, but not well executed. I wonder if there is one in the flesh...

I quite like the idea but there would be all sorts of problems such as getting it on a standard pitch, etc. / my suspicion is that it never made it into production??

The problem I had with it was that it didn't really create any properly usable space as it needed clearance for the slideout, hence the horrible fold up side chairs. And imagine the problems in a couple of years time when the seals have worn and the mechanism is a bit tired. Nah, it was one of those sort of ideas I come up with after an evening imbibing, but thankfully I wake up the next day and don't pursue them...

It was the loss of interior space that I saw as the big problem.

This image shows just how much space the "inner sleeve" consumes. That is space that is permanently lost when in van mode: Looks like nearly 18" of width and probably 10" or so of height. I'd rather have that than the time saving of putting up an awning or even better : Just get a pop-top

Doubleback Home
Really not very impressed with the idea. Surely if there was a decent market for this sort of thing Slidepods could come up with something more sophisticated. A decent awning is surely a far better solution :)

Doubleback Home
Really not very impressed with the idea. Surely if there was a decent market for this sort of thing Slidepods could come up with something more sophisticated. A decent awning is surely a far better solution :)
Yep, the website is still there but doesn't seem to have been updated for a few years.

Back