Clueless with Campervan!

Marty1872

Hi. We are looking to buy our first camper and have our heart set on a T6 which is a couple of years old. We saw one advertised on gumtree close by (16 plate for approx 30k) and went to see it last night. We loved it but have'nt got a clue what we are doing. I'm concerned that it has just had a new clutch and fly wheel fitted despite having only 70k miles. This didn't seem right and there is no full service history. We've checked the mot via the government website but that only shows us the last 2 years. We also paid for an Experian vehicle check report which came back clear but had no mileage history... we would appreciate any help/guidance anyone is willing to share as it appears to be somewhat a minefield out there.

Kind regards,

Martin
Finally took the plunge... waited for the right one as advised... and we are really pleased.

Only problem is... we have no idea what we are doing!!

Does anyone have any links for first time buyer videos to help show us how everything works? We have sussed the roof and the beds etc but don't even know how to see how much gas is in the bottle (which I discovered was strapped to the underside of the van)

Apologise in advance... but we want to get cracking

Finally took the plunge... waited for the right one as advised... and we are really pleased.

Only problem is... we have no idea what we are doing!!

Does anyone have any links for first time buyer videos to help show us how everything works? We have sussed the roof and the beds etc but don't even know how to see how much gas is in the bottle (which I discovered was strapped to the underside of the van)

Apologise in advance... but we want to get cracking
If you have an underslung gas bottle then there is normally some sort of electronic gauge inside the van.

Your main consideration when camping is your leisure battery and making sure you have enough of a charge to keep everything running. This would typically include your fridge and lights but you may have other electrical items running off it (radio, awning lights etc). Of course, if you're at a campsite then you'll probably be running your electrics from your EHU (Electric Hook Up) so you don't need to worry about the battery level as it will be charged via the EHU.

What sort of control unit do you have? Are you familiar with how it all works yet?

Your main consideration when camping is your leisure battery and making sure you have enough of a charge to keep everything running. This would typically include your fridge and lights but you may have other electrical items running off it (radio, awning lights etc). Of course, if you're at a campsite then you'll probably be running your electrics from your EHU (Electric Hook Up) so you don't need to worry about the battery level as it will be charged via the EHU.

What sort of control unit do you have? Are you familiar with how it all works yet?
Hi thanks for this... I will take a video as that may be easier to explain. We have sussed quite a bit out yesterday through trial and error etc.

This I'm guessing is charged from the electrical hookup on the outside. Not sure what the 3 colour coded taps do exactly on the left. I know one cuts the gas on/off but the others?

1598784037923154368340551850977.jpg

This propex unit controls the heater but the red light flashes intermittently and I'm not sure why and it must be draining the battery?

15987841819591776565951947044671.jpg

The three taps cut off gas to each gas powered appliance so could be gas hob, barbecue point, heater

This'll get you going with your heater Propex Instructions
I had a Propex previously with an underslung tank, you might want to locate the external fillup point - and a local LPG stockist.

The propex is flashing because it has been switched on with the gas off. Re set by turning the control to full on to off and back to on with the temperature set at Max. Then make sure the gas is on (it will be one of the three taps) it should now run.

The red 'Charger' switch on your EC155 will only charge the battery when you're on EHU.
When connecting your EHU cable make sure to plug it into your van first (red switch set to off) before plugging it into the mains power. Once plugged in flick the red switch down to start charging the battery. When it's time to leave do everything above in reverse. Unplug from the mains before unplugging from the van. Safer that way.

Back