Double Passenger seat, uncomfortable

We went through the same. Had the bracket fitted by the Scottish chap near Bedford and the difference is brilliant. Totally transformed the comfort. I forget the chaps name but he fitted it for nothing while I waited. Lovely genuine chap.

I used the same. Gordon at Vankraft, he sells through eBay, based south of MK. He does an exchange & fitting service. Top bloke...

Ahh thats him. Agreed, top bloke. Interesting workshop too. Looks like he is designing all manner of things to do with metal and VW's. His seat bracket has transformed our vans comfort, and the seat folds flat to make a table when were are overnighting.
Go for it @Gillon Johnstone

I also carried out the hinge change. Got mine from ebay and it was a quick job. Before the modded hinge the wife hated the seat but after she found it a lot more comfortable and has never mentioned it again, so it must have made a difference.
I also love the fact it now folds the rear of the seat again like in my old T5.
I have a couple of pictures of it in my build thread if you have a look.

Hello,

I hope to solve my concern here. Or at least find someone who will push me in a right direction.

I have just purchased a second-hand, quite recent (2018) VW T6 Transporter that I will convert in August into a weekend camper, though not as full-blown as California.
It will remain a 3-passenger van with 1+2 front seat arrangement although the +2 will receive turn-back rotation capability.

While my driver's seat is reasonably comfortable (4 adjustment points), that for the passangers (my 9-year daughter) is not suitable for several hours driving because of too much vertical position.

And here I come to my question : Do you know of any solution, other than reducing to 1+1 solution (of no interest to me as I do not want to alter the vehicle's technical and safety certificate), allowing slightly pushing out of vertical position the +2 front bench? Ideally, it would be nice to have a full horizontal position available as well. Are there any metal fixtures, kind of hinge, available with you or anywhere on the marketplace?
Andrew

I've got one of the above hinges on my seat and can testify that it makes the bench seat much more comfortable than the standard position, it also has the benefit of allowing the backrest to fold forward to allow for the transportation of long objects or become a table. Dead easy to fit takes about 30 minutes

Last edited:
As Deaky suggests I have one and it's transformed the comfort on the duel passenger seat.
Go for it.

Yes, very good suggestion of him. Have been in phone touch with manufacturer. THE NEWS is that he is in the final stage of putting on the market 2-in-1 solution (swivel+backfolding)!

Yes, very good suggestion of him. Have been in phone touch with manufacturer. THE NEWS is that he is in the final stage of putting on the market 2-in-1 solution (swivel+backfolding)!
Is this the Scottish chap near Bedford?
I think his name is Gordon?
This who I had my reclining bracket from, in any case he was brilliant and fitted it while I waited for nothing. If he's doing a swivel version I'll be there.

Is this the Scottish chap near Bedford?
I think his name is Gordon?
This who I had my reclining bracket from, in any case he was brilliant and fitted it while I waited for nothing. If he's doing a swivel version I'll be there.
Yeah Danny, that's the guy! Right-drive version is already certified. Unfortunately (really? ) I live in continental Europe so drop in at his workshop is not an easy thing for me... Indeed, over the phone he is very collaborative and info-sharing.

Gordon is great, an interesting bloke. If you could see his workshop......its an Aladins cave of engineering.
Ill find out about the swivel, i wasnt aware of this so cheers pal.
Enjoy France.

Gordon is great, an interesting bloke. If you could see his workshop......its an Aladins cave of engineering.
Ill find out about the swivel, i wasnt aware of this so cheers pal.
Enjoy France.
Thanks
May I then ask you a favour : Can you give me your feedback once you will touch the new product?
I have scheduled the transformation of my T6 for August only so there might be a chance to see the product come up M1 certified also for left-hand by then. If needed : ajkrason@gmail.com

AK, no problem. Ill get in touch with Gordon and see where he is at with the RHD swivel. Ill keep you informed. Just Google'd where youre from....fantastic. Id like to drive via your area on the way to Portugal. We have driven to Portugal many times but have yet to go via your area and into Spain via the Costa's then onto the Algarve.
Ill let you know when we do and perhaps meet for a Pastis.

AK, no problem. Ill get in touch with Gordon and see where he is at with the RHD swivel. Ill keep you informed. Just Google'd where youre from....fantastic. Id like to drive via your area on the way to Portugal. We have driven to Portugal many times but have yet to go via your area and into Spain via the Costa's then onto the Algarve.
Ill let you know when we do and perhaps meet for a Pastis.
Oki doki. It would rather be skiing, as I am 1-hour drive from Val Thorens or Courchevel...

I fitted one of those hinges as well, it’s super easy and putting ply wood up the back of the seat has also made it suitable for the kids to perch on when folded. The wife said the extra recline has transformed the van for her. It’s not very often a mod gets the approval of the other half so it must be good!!

I would like to purchase one of these, but I know I will fail miserably at trying to install it, Bedford isn't good for me...

I live in Manchester - if anyone is close and is very comfortable at fitting these (rather it be someone who has been there and done it than be a Guinea Pig if that's OK) and would like to offer their services that would be massively appreciated. I can pay in crate(s!) of Beer, or hard cash if desired... I know others will say it's dead easy, but honestly I would end up messing it up!

Thanks.

Yes. I'm pretty sure it uses the existing 2 side hinges and the item you buy replaces the middle section that allows it to recline. Be aware though, the seat only reclines about 10%, it's not fully reclinable like the drivers seat. 10% makes a huge difference between being comfortable and not.
Call Gordon, he will explain all.

Back