Double Passenger seat, uncomfortable

Wanderluster

Hi, I`m new to the Fourm and the awsome world of the Dubs. My wife and I have finally had enough of work, and have decided to pack it all in, buy a T6 and travel Europe for a year. We have put a deposit down on a T6, and had a test drive, at the weekend. It drives like a dream, although one problem. The front passenger bench seat is too uncomfortable for my wife. She hates the angle of the back, and its not adjustable. So I've now been tasked with finding a soliution to the seat issue. Yes my wife is the "Princess and the Pea".

I've looked at the bracket that Outdoor techincal do, and I wondered had anyone fitted it and how had it improved the comfort of the seat?

Secondly does anyone know if the Captain seats found in the T5`s will fit a T6? Im at my witts end, and this is now holding up the purchase of the van. Much to the pleasure of the dealer I think.

The T6 is a pre reg so with 70 miles, on the clock so I cant get a factory swivel fitted. Gutted.

I hope to start posting images and video`s etc of my conversion when I finally get the van. smile.gif

Cheers guys

Dave

Possibly two solutions...... There seems to be a few people with the opposite problem wanting to swap single to double... Maybe you can swappsies? Have you tested a single passenger to know that would work for the missus???
Secondly, with such a life changing event, why don't you take your time and either order new with single captains or wait for another pre reg with singles????? Easy to get carried away when it's in front of you ready to go, I nearly did the same and got a T28 until my conversion guy talked me into just waiting and getting exactly what I wanted.
Not sure about the T5 swap, others on here might know better...... Or maybe speak to some convertors???

I can't help on fitting of a single seat but i have always had vans with double seats and only the renault was ok for a long journey . So when i was looking at the t6 a single was the only way to go for us . i went for a kombi as they are single as standard but not sure what you are buying ? I would ask the dealer to change the seat or you don't want it . I wasn't sure how we would manage with only two seats but i can just pop a single in the back if needed as we went for the two plus one in the rear.
Hope you get it sorted and i am sure someone will post with the answer you are looking for.

Cheers guys, appreciate your replies. Dealer isn't the most flexible. Still hope to get it sorted sooner rather than later. :)

Van-X have 'leather look' T5/T6 single seats for £685. Out of stock at mo but might be worth giving them a call.....can't vouch for quality though.

Also CustomVanz do leather trimming of your seats or say they can supply seats as well so again might be worth a call.

They might even take your double 'part ex'??????

Can a single seat be mounted in place of a bench or are the floor fixings different?

Single and double are interchangeable, double just has more studs coming out of floor for fixing but these can simply be unscrewed leaving the four required for single, only downside is you will have four holes in the flooring where the removed studs were coming through not sure if single will cover these??
T5/T6 seats use same fixings so seats are swappable but fabric will be different

Aha! Confused am I. Thought I was having this discussion on the T4 forum. Anyway same as what I said there :)

T6 Uncomfortable Passenger Seat - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

The only times I've travelled on a double passenger seat it felt like sitting on 2 small seats squashed together., a bit like public transport, so I imagined they were upholstered like that.

If that's the case I can't see brackets and adjustment making that much of an improvement.

I agress the twin bench is dam right uncomfortable. If only it could recline a bit but the bulkhead then stops it. Cant go single because the twin seats come in handle 8 times out of 10.

I've had a look through as many seat threads as I can and not quite found the answer I need so...

My girlfriend finds the bench seat on my 2017 T6 uncomfortable but it's not the back, it's the rather flat base. Has anyone successfully had the base repadded to give a better shape?

Secondly, assuming the above is pants idea, has anyone tried a Jennings seat? This one "JS100431 Rigid Seat - £157.99 ", Jennings Seats: Our Seats: Van looks suitable and it's a fraction of the price of a VW seat? I'm waiting for a final reply from Jennings as to whether it's compatible.

Thanks for your help.

Can always speak to someone like Vision Upholstery in Shropshire. They come well recommended in the “recommend a business” section. They definately do a recaro seat back upgrade so no doubt they can do the seat base as well.
If they are too far away from you no doubt there are a number of such Upholstery companies nearer to you.

Vision Upholstery in Shropshire, used and recommended!
:thumbsup:

They may even be able to do an exchange service.. have a chat with Pete and see what he can do for you.

We went out full of enthusiasm and bought our Shuttle LWB 9 seater and never thought to test the twin front seats. On our first journey my other half was less than impressed with the comfort (especially since she was 5 months pregnant then and now 7 months) and she kicked me out of the drivers seat and made me be the passenger.

I looked at converting it to an 8 seater and that seemed fantastic until I looked at the cost involved and wondered about a much much cheaper alternative and read about a bracket that adds 10 degrees to the recline of the front twin seat and wondered if anyone had any knowledge or experience of that ? Failing that if anyone knows anyone selling the parts cheaply for an single front passenger seat please let me know

We went out full of enthusiasm and bought our Shuttle LWB 9 seater and never thought to test the twin front seats. On our first journey my other half was less than impressed with the comfort (especially since she was 5 months pregnant then and now 7 months) and she kicked me out of the drivers seat and made me be the passenger.

I looked at converting it to an 8 seater and that seemed fantastic until I looked at the cost involved and wondered about a much much cheaper alternative and read about a bracket that adds 10 degrees to the recline of the front twin seat and wondered if anyone had any knowledge or experience of that ? Failing that if anyone knows anyone selling the parts cheaply for an single front passenger seat please let me know
We went through the same. Had the bracket fitted by the Scottish chap near Bedford and the difference is brilliant. Totally transformed the comfort. I forget the chaps name but he fitted it for nothing while I waited. Lovely genuine chap.

Back