Door Speakers - Water Ingress

Is water ingress in the door speakers a common problem in the T6?

The factory speakers coil complete seized after just a few years.
Replaced them with a factory kit last year and now the left door speaker has become all scratchy and bad. Took the new speakers out and found rust on the backside of the speakers.
Just to verify - I took the speakers up and hooked them up to another amp - still scrathy sound - so the T6 environment has not been good to my speakers :(

I have to add the only parking space I have is sideways up an hill, so that could contribute to the problem.

- Or could it simply be that the factory headunit is blowing my speakers (I'm not a loud listener).

Last edited:
Quite common with aftermarket speakers, not so much so with factory, but people on here have used a piece of sound deadening material on the door card above the speaker to protect from this problem.

Reactions: CAB
I kno the kits from Skipton Car Radio come with a rubber surround to protect from water ingress.
Not had mine in long enough to know if it works, but they do look substantial.

I find parked with one side higher tends to encourage water down the wrong side of the door on my old T5, and I guess would impact speakers.

Hi guys, Sorry I've just jumped into this thread a year or so later but I've gone thru 3 new speakers after they just seem to keep blowing.
Even the tweeters blow! I think its my crappie install with too thick damping and water leaking into the connectors.
Im just about to remove my 3rd set from the company who I bought them off. Musway 8 inch VWT5 kit.
I've just read the thread and thanks for the support. Sandwich bags or overlapping damping pockets look good but I've just bought a set damping sound baffles and watershield to cover the 8 inch speakers. Hope to install again with this beast if it fits.

1695208439800.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
Back