Dont want to get ripped off - help

dereckerick

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi Guys

Not had much luck with my 2016 Carvelle BiTdi...

Had the EGR valve done with coil/engine management light coming on, did that 5 months a go...

Now I have error code P0234 and P00AF - Overboost condition / boost controller A module performance.

Its in a local garage and the guy is looking at it, checking for split hoses etc, he mentioned on the phone that it may need a boost pressure control module, but there are 3 and he cant work out which is "A", he also said that they are between £170 and £230 each? Is there a way of identifying "A" of the 3 he said there are?

I really don't knw much but is a boost control solenoid the same as boost control module, because I can see these on car part sites for about £45 each

Just dont want my pants puled down, this christmas is looking grim already....

On a previous t5.1, the coil/glow plug light starte playing up.
The egr was changed and fixed it for a few weeks.
Then the codes suggested sensors in the exhaust system.
These were each changed, one at a time. Can not recall if it was two or three of them. But the last one solved it!
so not really helpful, but looks like getting alternative code reader on it for second opinion would hopefully help?

I'm not a mechanic, but I would have thought the vehicle's software will know which solenoid is which. Ask the garage to disconnect each one in turn and run diagnostics after each one has been disconnected. It should flag up the new 'faulty' solenoid with a label which will allow them to isolate which is A.
My 61 plate Passat had a faulty glow plug last week. The garage hooked up the laptop and it indicated number 3 straight away. But if it has only indicated one of them was faulty, he could have unplugged them all individually until the error code didn't change. So I can't see it being that difficult to isolate the faulty item by discounting the others one by one.

There seem to be a lot of garages out there that have had little or no training in the use of computer diagnostics. Just reading the codes and changing the component linked to the code sometimes fixes the fault, but very often doesn't, as the reasons behind the code are far more involved. This is where an expert in diagnostics will dig a lot deeper than the codes and repair the correct item without guessing and hoping.
DIYers without the correct equipment tend to play diagnostic darts by guessing and replacing loads of unnecessary components, sadly it appears garages are too.
1665826280103.jpeg

My engine went into limp mode three times in a row over the course of three days(this happened at the end of August this year).
Each time flashing coil appeared and my engine registered one fault code "Actuator Module for Turbocharger Stuck".
On day four my turbocharger has exploded.

So.. its was the small turbo that was completely coked up and jammed, the guy sent off to be repaired, said he got the big one cleaned/looked at/serviced whilst it was off. He also said the previous guy who had ben fixing my van had zipp tied most pf the front end back together when he did the egr...

So both turbos done, bumper refitted and bolted on plus a service £1500, I have no idea if thats good/bad/average. It would be good to get feedback on the price as I'm losing faith with garages and this bloody van..... 60K miles and nearly 4k spent this this alone..... This latest guy also said he isnt sure the egr needed doing previously

So.. its was the small turbo that was completely coked up and jammed, the guy sent off to be repaired, said he got the big one cleaned/looked at/serviced whilst it was off. He also said the previous guy who had ben fixing my van had zipp tied most pf the front end back together when he did the egr...

So both turbos done, bumper refitted and bolted on plus a service £1500, I have no idea if thats good/bad/average. It would be good to get feedback on the price as I'm losing faith with garages and this bloody van..... 60K miles and nearly 4k spent this this alone..... This latest guy also said he isnt sure the egr needed doing previously
Doesn’t sound too bad. Do you know who refurbished them?

Back