Dometic Fridge door catch.

Roblee

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Bought our T6.1 camperking van back in 2021, we love it, but we dislike (being kind) our dometic fridge.
The fridge works fine but it has the most basic-stupidest fridge door catch, I have ever come across.
The door catch is very difficult to operate, you have to push the fridge door with your knee and put a peg in a hole on the door...see picture.

I have been looking for ages for any ideas, if there's any other way of keeping the door closed with out spoiling the wooden gray surround cabinet.
I have find a compromise, a stainless steel catch, but to fit it would mean drilling holes in the side of the fridge door and the gray cabinet.

Not sure if the door casting would cope with self tapping screws to hold the catch.
I've used double sided tape to tempery hold the catch in place so I could show you in picture what I propose to do.
Would realy appreciate any ideas or help from you guys.
Thanks Rob

20231017_102422.jpg

20231017_103744.jpg

Last edited:
There are these type of double glazed door security catches that might work?

They are small enough to not be too bulky but large enough to be not fiddly to use. Might need a spacer.

20231021_185245.JPG

There are these type of double glazed door security catches that might work?

They are small enough to not be too bulky but large enough to be not fiddly to use. Might need a spacer.

View attachment 217616
Thanks for that info, it looks like it would work. I'm reluctant to drill holes in my kitchen cubards or the fridge door. I will have to do something because that stupid pin and holder looks like its about to brake. Thanks

I'm not exactly sure how, but could magnets be used?

Completely different I know, but i recently put neodymium magnets in my letter box to stop the bloody thing blowing in the wind.

I'm not exactly sure how, but could magnets be used?

Completely different I know, but i recently put neodymium magnets in my letter box to stop the bloody thing blowing in the wind.
Magnets could work but fridge door is aluminum, that's why I'm reluctant to drill the fridge door to attach that chrome catch I bought. I think the answer is to buy a new fridge or a fridge door. Every thing in my van made by Dometic is breaking. My cooker pan stands rubbers are rotting, my Dometic side awning catch has broke off. we have only done 7,000 miles in our van since new, so that tells you how much we have used the van.

I really still can't believe that is the latching mechanism for your fridge!? Most Heath Robinson!
Get a new fridge, that silly thing would really spoil my enjoyment of the van.
12 months interest free from somewhere surely? Sanjo or Dometic CRX-50, both the same thing.

I really still can't believe that is the latching mechanism for your fridge!? Most Heath Robinson!
Get a new fridge, that silly thing would really spoil my enjoyment of the van.
12 months interest free from somewhere surely? Sanjo or Dometic CRX-50, both the same thing.
I cant belive dometic even came up with that stupid catch.
My van was fitted out by camperking, I was new to van life back in 2021 When I bought my van. I've learnt a lot since then, believe me..
Yes a new fridge for next season is on the cards, but it won't be a Dometic.
I will look at a Sanjo and see what they are like..I daren't buy one just yet, her in doors will give me some earache if I spend anymore money on the van...Lol

I cant belive dometic even came up with that stupid catch.
My van was fitted out by camperking, I was new to van life back in 2021 When I bought my van. I've learnt a lot since then, believe me..
Yes a new fridge for next season is on the cards, but it won't be a Dometic.
I will look at a Sanjo and see what they are like..I daren't buy one just yet, her in doors will give me some earache if I spend anymore money on the van...Lol
I know how you feel, this past season has been an expensive one here too. Two sets of tyres, two new alloys, suspension set up from CRS and countless £20 items, fortunately a new fridge for us was under warranty. The make on the front of yours isn't dometic though, is it?

Magnets could work but fridge door is aluminum
I wondered is magnet(s) could be glued (araldite or similar?) to the back edge of the door (by the seal) and then stick to the casing of the fridge (is that bit steel?)

I know how you feel, this past season has been an expensive one here too. Two sets of tyres, two new alloys, suspension set up from CRS and countless £20 items, fortunately a new fridge for us was under warranty. The make on the front of yours isn't dometic though, is it?
I stuck that name on my fridge I just thought it was for our fridge, it was with the fridge instruction book in a plastic bag with the Dometic awning instructions.... I hold my hand up, I was wrong, that badge I stuck on the fridge door is the Manifacture, what a idiot I feel.Just spent ages looking for the instructions.The Fridge is a Vitrifrigo, made in Italy. It's still crap though and a new one is on the cards.

Sanjo and dometic are the same fridge with different labels. Seem to be the most popular amongst Campers though, both well regarded on the whole! £500 ish that you didn't want to spend! Keep your eyes on ebay when the time comes, £200 to £300 for a decent used one. Welcome to the world of the moneypit!

Bought our T6.1 camperking van back in 2021, we love it, but we dislike (being kind) our dometic fridge.
It’s not a Dometic fridge as the badge clearly states. If you were billed for a Dometic and didn’t get one take it back to Camper King.

If replacing the fridge is the route you end up taking, take a look at the THQ/Alpicool fridge. It’s a cracking piece of kit with independent temperature controls for the fridge and freezer compartment. There’s a digital twin temperature display on the front so you can easily see the temps in the fridge and freezer box.

The door has a very smart system enabling opening from either side without any modification, just pull the left side handle to open from the left, or the right side handle to open from the right. Pull both handles and you can remove the whole door, making removing the freezer box or cleaning so much easier.

It’s a better fridge than the equivalent Dometic and it’s less money.

Sanjo and dometic are the same fridge with different labels. Seem to be the most popular amongst Campers though, both well regarded on the whole! £500 ish that you didn't want to spend! Keep your eyes on ebay when the time comes, £200 to £300 for a decent used one. Welcome to the world of the moneypit!
Yes it's a money pit alright, but we feel its worth it, we go out a lot more than we use to. Even for the day, got all you need, cooker, toilet, fridge ( if you can get in it To Open) and eberspacher and We do of the grid a lot in summer. We have decided our T6.1 is only comfortable and works best for 2 people anymore and its bedlam . Anyway the fridge works fine and isn't that old, so will put up with it until the funds improve.

Last edited:
Yes it's a money pit alright, but we feel its worth it, we go out a lot more than we use to. Even for the day, got all you need, cooker, toilet, fridge ( if you can get in it To Open) and berspacher and We do of the grid a lot in summer. We have decided our T6.1 is only comfortable and works best for 2 people anymore and its bedlam . Anyway the fridge works fine and isn't that old, so will put up with it until the funds improve.
Keep enjoying! I mentioned on a thread last night, I can't remember what the wifey and I used to talk about before the van! I wonder if you could get a new door for that fridge? Would the latch be different if you could?!

If replacing the fridge is the route you end up taking, take a look at the THQ/Alpicool fridge. It’s a cracking piece of kit with independent temperature controls for the fridge and freezer compartment. There’s a digital twin temperature display on the front so you can easily see the temps in the fridge and freezer box.

The door has a very smart system enabling opening from either side without any modification, just pull the left side handle to open from the left, or the right side handle to open from the right. Pull both handles and you can remove the whole door, making removing the freezer box or cleaning so much easier.

It’s a better fridge than the equivalent Dometic and it’s less money.

Will take a look at the fridge you mentioned, a door that can open from left or right would be a big advantage in such a cramped area, especially when the bed is down.. I can't imagine how a fridge door works. It sounds expensive..Lol

Will take a look at the fridge you mentioned, a door that can open from left or right would be a big advantage in such a cramped area, especially when the bed is down.. I can't imagine how a fridge door works. It sounds expensive..Lol

Back