Dometic Cx50 fridge freezer

Lutty

T6 Pro
Hi all,
Camping at present lots of rain & wind still good fun being away
My fridge compressor keeps stopping as indicated inside the fridge control unit. I turn it off & restart but a short while later its stopped again. Is this because its reached temperature? I have the secondary 12v charge system, solar panels on roof. I even started the engine for 40 minutes today. The 12v system hasn't gone past 12.5v.
Unsure of the reason why the compressor keeps stopping, any help much appreciated
Thanks Dave

As long as you don’t have warning lights, then all is fine. The compressor should stop when it’s at the right temperature.
We keep a small thermometer in the fridge to reassure us that all is ok.

Pete

The compressor in your fridge will cycle regularly depending on ambient temperature, if it's warmer weather it will cycle more often and if you open door a lot it will run more often trying to get the interior temperature to what you have set it to.
Sometimes in cooler weather the compressor has long periods of not running.
If your compressor did run continuously your battery wouldn't last very long as fridges use a fair bit of power.
Remember in cloudy rainy weather your solar panel is not adding much back to your leisure battery.
I also have a small thermometer in fridge to keep an eye on it same as Pete C

Thanks guys for your replies. I now have a thermometer in the fridge. Good ideaDave

more on fridges here:

Hi,
My only only concern is that I've but a thermometer in the fridge & watched the temperature ar 12 degrees & compressor not starting on its own. I have to restart it manually. It fine if your by the van but like today been out all day to find temperature had risen but compressor hadn't restarted automatically.

Have you got some pics of the fridge and setting dial?..

As above and detailed in my thread..

Compressor fridges will run at max,

Untill down to temp... as set by the dial.

Then will cycle on/off to keep that temp.

Maybe once an hour for 1min, or every 15mins for a min....

It depends what the dial is set to... the contents of the fridge... how many times you open it. Etc.

Ie... if its full of beer, and you dont touch it all weekend, it may cycle oncw per hour.

If your on a camp weekend and are in the fridge every 15mins.... taking cold beers out, and replacing them with warm beers ...... then it will be cycling very oftern, maybe every 10mins....

So it depends...

Put a digital temp logger in theb fridge a log the twmps over 24hrs.

I show the digital temp loggers in my fridge thread....

That will show you what your fridge is doing....

Hi Dellmassive,
Thank you for your response. It made me look at the cooling controls. I thought that the top blue light was the coldest with compressor off. I then pressed the button down a couple & straight away the compressor started. I've just had a look at the fridge & compressor still working around 8 degrees on thermometer
Thanks again for you information
Dave

If your dometic fridge is controlled the same as mine (crx 80)the top blue light setting is the warmest at 12 degrees then next down is 9 degrees, next down is 6 degrees and bottom setting is 3 degrees.

These temperatures are approximate as opening door often will raise temperature until compressor can lower it again.

Putting warm articles in will temporarily raise temperature. Best practice is to cool things down in your home fridge then put them into your van fridge.

I have my temperature set to coldest ie lowest blue light most of the time but I live in Australia. If I don't open door for a long time it gets too cold, down near zero so I put it on level 3.
Top light equals warm setting, bottom light equals coldest setting.
You must experiment a bit for your conditions.

Have a read of your manual for your fridge if you're not sure how it works.

I have a Ubibot which is useful to show moisture readings during the winter in my shed. (IFTT compliant and so switches on my dehumidifier when damp and heater in sub zero.)

It is something that now comes on holiday with me in the summer and lives in my fridge! It alerts me if my fridge is warmer than 5 degrees.

(Useful little bit of kit, but does need internet to work as described.)

Back